When do you replace your bow string?

outdoordave

Jul 5, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Just wondering when do most of you replace your bow string? Mine is about 4 years old and has about 300 shots on it from practicing and what not. It has some wear on it from rubbing against my camos while hiking. Was going to head out on Monday for some practice and rabbits.

Dave I think it all depends on how you take care of your bow and your visual examination of strings along with you knowing the way your bow shoots for you.

I replaced a set of string with Winners Choice 1 year after I bought a new bow (which was not necessary, didn't do my homework) , now I keep the strings waxed and inspect everytime before I head out to shoot. The funny thing is, I was still shooting a PSE Baby G force for a while and the strings and cables were never replaced and it still was accurate.

I recommend that if you do a visual inspection for frays, burs, and so forth along with good bow maintenance you will know when its time to replace the strings.

Just my .02

Thanks bowhunter, in general that is what I do anyway. I haven't been bowhunting that long (about 4-5 years) and take good care of it just wasn't sure if there was a rule of. Thumb. Nothing would be worse than heading out in the field and having it come apart on you. That string is under some pretty constant pressure. Thanks for your .02

300 shots on a bowstring really is not much. When ever I get a new string Bruce at the BOW N ARROW SHOP recommends 80-100 for break in.
So 300 your string should be like new.

As long as you kept the bow out of the sun and the string waxed. 4 years shouldn't be a problem with the amount of shots you have on it.
I agree with Bowhunter check for frays and burs and you should be OK.

Well, Bruce knows what he's talking about. I always wax my string after shooting. good luck 8)

My string wasn't in bad shape but it was the one that came on the bow, Bruce loaded me up with a new winner's choice string and I couldn't be happier, Definatly recommend upgrading to a winners choice, if you are thinking about it, it's probably time.

Dave I think it all depends on how you take care of your bow and your visual examination of strings along with you knowing the way your bow shoots for you.

I replaced a set of string with Winners Choice 1 year after I bought a new bow (which was not necessary, didn't do my homework) , now I keep the strings waxed and inspect everytime before I head out to shoot. The funny thing is, I was still shooting a PSE bowstring Baby G force for a while and the strings and cables were never replaced and it still was accurate.

I recommend that if you do a visual inspection for frays, burs, and so forth along with good bow maintenance you will know when its time to replace the bowstrings.

Just my .02

This was really useful to myself - thank you.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu