Which stock to get?

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
Im in the market for a new stock to put on my Weatherby vanguard S2. This rifle is chambered in 6.5 creedmoor and sports a zeiss terra 4-12x44. This rifle is my hunting rifle but is kind of heavy and not very ergo dynamic with the factory composite stock on it. My budget for a stock is about $600. My main concern is weight and comfortability and obviously accuracy as the first priority.

Im torn between running a light weight chassi system or a manners stock.

The reason I like the chassi is because of the stocks with adjustable cheek pieces and the look.
Negatives are that its about 2-3 ounces heavier.

Manners stocks are just plain confusing and a lot of them look relatively similar and seem kind of bulky.

In a hunting scenario is an adjustable check piece impractical? Im open to other stock ideas.

Remember in hunting most of the time it's one shot.....if your lucky it's two shots......if you really suck at shooting you might get a third shot.

I wouldn't over think it unless I was a target guy

If this is a dedicated hunting rifle I would go with HS Precision or Bell and Carlson. While I know in the target world these would not be my choice and they don't always have fans. I run both and think they are about the same but prefer HSP stocks for hunting but they are heavier than BC. I think Manners does make a hunter style stock. For me, durability and simplicity and lightness. Less that I have adjust the better.

Ditto on MJB, my last deer (my avatar) was a about a 2 second shot. Only once did I have a shot like you see on the Long Range shows or Gunwerks shows. Get something that you can mount quick the same way every time. The 6.5 wont recoil much with a light stock. Just my 2cents.....

Take a look at the McMillan stocks...Good stuff and they do a carbon fill on most stocks. Light, strong and amazing customer service.

28 Wide. It was a good hunt and although not verified, we believe the biggest for that specific hunt and my sons the second. It was the early hunt though, not the best draw, but not bad. It was still warm so they were not moving as much as we would liked. But still, every deer we saw was going south. Big country, lots of glassing and not many hunters and most were not glassing. There are much bigger deer there.....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu