Who tipped off the Quail?

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I have been counting the days till the opener, we located the quail back during the archery season and I was shooting sticks at them. Checked up on them again last month during dove and they were still there so thought this hunt was going to be in the bag. Met up with Andrew at first light and just a few other hunters pulled up as I was parking. A mustang on the back roads in the wilderness is always a conversation piece, wished each other luck and set out on our way. We got to where the covey had been for months and no birds to be found. Started moving around the property working the hills and managed to find two more coveys and both were onto us. Last month when I could not take a shot at them we literally walked up to a bush and had to make a noise to flush them, they were holding. Today at 100 yards they spotted us and booked it right up their hillside into some of the thickest brush around. The first covey we followed up the hill to no avail, the second one they just jumped into a wall of brush with no way in what so ever and disappeared instantly. We were on the birds but couldn’t get within range. We will be back. Dropped a couple of Cameras to help fill my AO tag, see what they find.

Anyone have any luck today?

IMG_3203.png

IMG_3206.png

IMG_3209.png

IMG_3220.png

IMG_3227.png

I know exactly where you are, I grew up in those hills, quail used to be everywhere but now not so much. Did you happen to see an old guy in a rust colored flat fender jeep? My dad and a couple friends were up there this weekend.

Reactions: TrapLine
I know exactly where you are, I grew up in those hills, quail used to be everywhere but now not so much. Did you happen to see an old guy in a rust colored flat fender jeep? My dad and a couple friends were up there this weekend.
Didn’t see the jeep, lots of people out there this weekend, have had it all to myself all summer.

Didn’t see the jeep, lots of people out there this weekend, have had it all to myself all summer.

Yeah, I just spoke with my Dad and no one went up this past weekend. That place is a zoo on the openers but will quiet down some after, weekdays are your friends.

Was scouting for deer Friday, and heard a ton of quail. Went back the next day (opener) and found no less than 10 coveys. Chased them around for hours and hours.
Problem is, it was my first time quail hunting, and I missed 90% of my shots. Several times, I hit a bird, and it dropped, only to run around into some invisible bush.
I'm guessing I'm aiming too high, as I'm not used to pointing a shotgun low like that...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu