Why Are We Losing Our Deer?

I think the drought and poor habitat it the main cause.. followed by poaching. I really believe a lot of deer are illegally killed year round. There is virtually no big game management in So. Cal zones deer for habitat improvement. I honestly don’t know about the northern zones, but assume the same is true.

One thing that is missing is water... artificial water sources like BG guzzlers and livestock dirt tanks. There used to be cattle in much of the so. Cal area.. MNP, (pre preserve status), the Santa Ana canyon, etc. remove the cattle and the water is also gone because no ranchers are there to maintain it.

Best example I can compare to is AZ. Cattle everywhere. Cattle = water. Water= wildlife. Simple. Additionally, they have 3000 BG guzzlers!. You can’t go a mile or two in any direction in Az. Without a natural or man made water
Source.

Any of you who hunt Az know what I’m talking about... they also have a ton of lions... I know they hunt them and I wish we could..that said if we had the cattle/water like they do we too would have better deer numbers.

Our only deer habitat improvement come from huge wild land fires which initially destroy an area. 2-3 years later they begin to produce better/ good habitat. In 10 years it needs to burn again..

Amen Brothers, Steve you and I have been around for while. And have seen the changes from farm land, groves of trees, and ranches. Dairy, and what not. POP is right on. I actually heard of the government destroying old ranch water tanks and ponds. But That's an other story. And complaints that cattle compete with wildlife. But infact cattle help keep the brush short and clean out. Ever see 100 goats take care of the brush. Sight to see.

Far as I am concerned public land is a dead zone compared what it was 40 to 50 years ago. Mount Laguna was loaded with tree squirrels. As of late it is devoid of any. Rabbits and deer are mostly on private land in southern Cal.

Hey, there's still deer in Mission Trails RP.. saw these 2 today on a walkabout. And some lion scat. Pretty cool to know there's still deer left within San Diego city limits.
d44eab7344d918a6993361af3907f73c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: msailor
Mt Lions. In Idaho I could take a Lion with a deer tag. They understand you have to balance predetor to prey ratios. I've was screamed at by 2 Lions last year (spooky) and stalked by one 4 years ago.

I had a lion at 17 yards right behind me and didn’t even know it, walked right by me my buddy saw it and he was 60 yards from it... scary

And what will happen when the deer population declines even more and mountain lions have no food?

I think the drought and poor habitat it the main cause.. followed by poaching. I really believe a lot of deer are illegally killed year round. There is virtually no big game management in So. Cal zones deer for habitat improvement. I honestly don’t know about the northern zones, but assume the same is true.

One thing that is missing is water... artificial water sources like BG guzzlers and livestock dirt tanks. There used to be cattle in much of the so. Cal area.. MNP, (pre preserve status), the Santa Ana canyon, etc. remove the cattle and the water is also gone because no ranchers are there to maintain it.

Best example I can compare to is AZ. Cattle everywhere. Cattle = water. Water= wildlife. Simple. Additionally, they have 3000 BG guzzlers!. You can’t go a mile or two in any direction in Az. Without a natural or man made water
Source.

Any of you who hunt Az know what I’m talking about... they also have a ton of lions... I know they hunt them and I wish we could..that said if we had the cattle/water like they do we too would have better deer numbers.

Our only deer habitat improvement come from huge wild land fires which initially destroy an area. 2-3 years later they begin to produce better/ good habitat. In 10 years it needs to burn again..

See if there is a Deer Forever you the area and if not talk to them and start one out there. Also check out Qual forever they are the ones that put in the guzzlers and maintain them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 30-06
I was thinking about this today.
To much time on my hands.
I have been buy hunting license and
D16 tag since 1970.
Now in those days D16 never sold out. But what I don't remember is
The quantity of tags available.
What has changed?
More hunters or less tags.
Seems in those days more hunters went up north or out of state.
Since I started hunting land has been shrinking. More building, more Anza state park taking over more land, BLM sold to public corporations. So less habitats.
More private property on the boundary of public land. So causing it to be land lock. Cities buying up creeks, rivers and so on. So basically all we got left is some BLM, and national forest.
I ask myself why does Texas and other states are loaded with deer.
In Texas I could club a deer. Because
They are over run.
Yet public land is not what use to be.
Back in those days deer were every where in public land.
These are questions that Steve pointed out. Driving through Laguna's
And areas in East county look at private land(ranch land) and it is pristine. To my opinion public land
All though beautiful. Is not as beautiful as ranch land.
Seems to me the old ranchers knew how to take care of their property.
No offense to forestry guys, because most of regulations are dictated by
The bean counters in Sacramento.
From my observation from when I started hunting the woods has not changed for the better.
An example 750 or more acres that was BLM was sold to a public Enterprise. How does public land
Is being sold
How is that possible.
I know some land is donated to the state for public use, instead it is sold.
Big time loss of deer habitat. Mismanaged predators, ranchers would put cattle water troughs or water tanks every were.
Maybe that why well managed private properties hold more deer.
Any thoughts.
LB

Lee,

There was no quota or restrictions on tags in 1970.....You just bought a deer tag and you could hunt anywhere in the state per the season dates for that area.....The only way to get 2 deer was to hunt the early A zone.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu