Why We Suck at Recruiting New Hunters, & Why it Matters

I agree but there is less and less hunt able land due to development and selling off public lands. We are lucky here in California because we have vast areas of public land but other states like Texas don't. Someday, hunting maybe a rich man's sport only on private game ranches. It's my impression that we the U.S. currently have only enough land for the current amount of hunters. I am sure there are other opinions on this complicated topic...

This is an extremely tough subject because hunters are split down the middle. One side knows we need to keep everything funded and the more hunters means more political capital to prevent our activities from being taken away. On the other hand, more hunters means a loss in hunting opportunities due to our limited tags and more hunters increases our likelihood in losing our honey holes.

I see both sides and I am torn on the issue. One way is short term thinking while the other is long term thinking.

I meet so many people in San Diego who would love to hunt but have no idea how to even start (most are in 30's). I've already told three guys I would take them out this next year and help them get into deer hunting in San Diego, but we will see if they follow through.

it's funny to me, as an old timer I have seen change , not for the good. i said a while back , there not near as much public land there use to be. we keep getting squeezed into certain areas. more locked gates, and more restrictions.
In MHO the hunters today are more educated and safety minded, this group here on this board is a excellent example.

How ever notice we bump into each other more often out on the field. the choice spots are getting smaller.

Interesting article, Steve. I can't wait to get my kiddos (now 4 and 2) into it as soon as they can... but I can see where the recruitment challenge is for those who don't grow up in it. Hunting can be a tough and intimidating sport to simply jump into without a mentor, whereas signing kids up for traditional sports like baseball or soccer is much easier (although they say numbers are down in those sports too). I meet people all the time who are my age (30's) and older who say they always wanted to learn but never knew where to start because no one in their family hunted.

Jason,

I come from a hunting family with lots of mentors, both family and old guys from my dads hunting & fishing club.....I have 2 sisters with 5 boys and none of them hunt (& I've tried to get them involved)…..I had 3 uncles and all of them hunted and their sons (4 cousins) all hunt, but none of their sons really hunt.....My female cousins (6) didn't marry hunters except one and their son does hunt.....So 3 generations and only one of the 3rd generation hunts.....This is how you lose hunting.

I've also got friends where they have sons and only one (or none) will take up hunting even though their dads are hardcore....I can only think of 2 daughters that hunt....I guess the point is, all we can do is try to introduce them to it and hope they enjoy it as much as we do.

Yes, we have lost a lot of local hunting.....I was raised in Long Beach, but lots of hunting opps near by in Orange, Riverside, and San Berdo Counties.....We have also lost hunting opportunities in our game itself.....SoCal was loaded with quail, ducks, geese, pheasant, and dove.....Now we have little opportunities for these species within an 2 hour drive.....We also had a DFG that enhanced hunting.....Planting of pheasants was everywhere in the state....And it was FREE.... Duck hunting?....7 ducks and you were good to go.....Deer hunting was simple.....Buy a deer tag and hunt them wherever you wanted.....Chukar & turkeys were introduced to help hunters numbers.....There were bounties on crows and mountain lions.....Why?....Because it helped our game animals.

Despite all these negatives, we still have lots of hunting opportunities, if you seek them.....Ask lots of questions on social media (like SCH), watch videos on YouTube, ask friends to go shooting at a club (most have public shooting days), join a conservation group (like NWTF), and accept you're going to have to drive some.

I’ve been working on my son in law, he likes shooting clay pigeons and hopefully will make the jump into hunting with me. For him, and many others in places like OC, the cost and time involved in getting out to hunting areas is an obstacle.

Plus the stigma of being so politically incorrect in the minds of his peers. I made the mistake of buying a bobcat tag at Sports Chalet once. The snowflake at the counter selling me the tag was appalled that I wanted to kill a bobcat. Pretty uncomfortable.

Great thread guys... I have two kiddos boy 5 and girl 2, right now I can't get out much to fish or hunt because of working two jobs and helping the wifey at home. I do talk hunt & fish every chance I get to the kids. They both love to fish already and my son has been dove hunting with me a few times and he got a kick out of it, he took his red ryder BB gun to back up dad (he already told his teacher that we eat deer). I have 5 sisters with multiple kids and NON of them hunt or fish nor do the husbands. Dad, took all 7 of us hunting or fishing, I am the only that never stopped hunting or fishing.

So in conclusion I think it's up to the few that the "outdoors seed" was sowed upon us at a very young age way before we even knew it... dad, gramp's, uncle, family friend... taking us out to hunt or fish , heck even just telling us a story might of triggered that hunting bug. I believe we need to try and expose the young to the outdoors and see if it'll stick. I know that as soon as I get some time I will be heading outdoors again with the kids.

not taking away anything from those that learned to hunt n fish on their own, props to you!

the shrinking of hunting grounds, it'll happen but i'm sure we will find an area to hunt no matter what.

I had my son and daughter creek fishing in the sierras since the age of 5. My son will hunt with me but he really enjoys shooting my M-14 and M-1 carbine. The boy did not inherit my bird dog passion but thats ok , he climbs the hills like a mountain goat and reminds me of me when I was young. I also had both of them swimming and snorkeling with me in the ocean at an early age so they could develop confidence and respect for the sea. He is hooked on surfing and she is on an advance swim team so I am proud to have exposed them to the outdoors . Next week we will be fishing at 7000 ft.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu