Wife's first eh on hunting.

Hiryuu

Aug 24, 2019
San Diego
So I asked my wife earlier this evening if she would ever want a fox fur coat. She responded with "I dont like fur, and I'd rather hunt for food". I generally agree with that statement. She no longer has any fur lined or goose down apparel, so she was not to keen on me hunting grey foxes. I dont plan on going out and trying to decimate the population, but I would like to get a couple. Not opposed to eating fox either. Saw one video and its apparently tender and moist. Wanna hunt a few bobcats too, but haven't told her that one yet. After a bit of population control/conservation/"we took der homes", she was like eh. Best example I gave was where she "oh so wanted to buy a house" in a newly developed area. She remembers when that whole area was wild. I then said I'm killing coyotes on sight. She asked and I said I'm just leaving them. Oh joy. I had to remind her that her friend had 2 dogs killed by yotes just this year, and guess where she moved too, the same area my wife wanted a "house". So that was a fun conversation I had tonight.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
It's catch 22. But I kill coyotes on sight. Ground squirrels, I let the rabbits alone. Have not seen very many foxes were I live.
Lots friken yotes but they are in private land. Until they cross the property line.

Reactions: Hiryuu
Oh I love rabbits. Plan on getting as many as I can. Love their fur too. I've seen only a couple random grey foxes around here. One was in Balboa park. I see yotes frequently, even in my neighborhood. I'm right near where the 805/5/905 meet. Hell I almost hit one on an on ramp. Never had squirrel, but heard its tasty. I've had country coons, kinda greasy but not bad, but I wont eat any from around here. Had one throw my dog food bin with 50# of food, and 4 cinder bricks on top. Almost shot it with my pistol. Huge boi. If the yotes wernt so mangey/patchey around here I might possibly try to use the hide.

Being it's very hot and dry, rabies is or can be an issue. So careful handling them..
I had nightly raids from racoons on a daily at night at my old place. Lived next to Harbison Canyon creek..
They are relentless. Problem is that is a no shooting area.

A few thoughts- You will never be able to hurt the fox population. A lot of local yotes have nice pelts in the winter. The "we built on there land" coyote theory drives me crazy, everyday on my stupid Next Door neighborhood e-mails there are concerned citizens posting about a sighting or missing cat. Inevitably people come to there defense saying they were here before the houses. I'm pretty sure if we return the area to wild they will go looking for more pets, trash and lawns that attract rabbits and other vermin.

Oh man... the urban coyote thing. These fools create the perfect Utopias for the yotes to live in!

Where I'm at here in West Garden Grove... we're along a huge pathway that starts at Rose Hills Mortuary way up along the 605 Fwy... down that 605 Fwy man-made flood channel... down to around La Palma... then there are 2 drainage channels where they go over to these two streets Moore and Denni.... where they exit and then head south to the Los Alamitos racetrack with it's nice water feature and waterfowl and rodents.... and that's on same property as the big ol Costco... so all the Human food waste to rummage thru.... CostCo parking lot along Katella.... has a hedge along the whole thing to hide their movement.... they cross Katella and go into the Los Alamitos Armed Forces Training Base... multiple denning sites in there... which is next to Arbor Dog Park (where I take my dogs, like 1 mi from my house) and the Naval Golf Course which has a pond and lots of Canadian Geese, Egrets, Herons, Ducks, Loons, Gophers, Squirrels. There they just keep following along the water drainages exiting that area making their way more east exiting out like arouns SpringDale Ave. (but there's also a drain tube that goes under the 405 Fwy near where Lampson and Seal Beach Blvd intersect which gets them safely into the Naval Weapons Ammo Depot fields)

And once at Naval Weapons Ammo Depot they are home free... can go all the way to Bolsa Chica.... or Huntington Central Park.... then use other drainages to saunter over to FairView Park in Costa Mesa and the Sheep Hills BMX Jumps wildlands where the Santa Ana River meets the ocean.

If they really wanted to control those yotes numbers... it'd be sooo easy to hit em up at several choke points. And it's like dude...WTF? I'd gladly use weapons of lesser means like air rifle or bow if they'd give me the opportunity to try and take some!

Reactions: Hiryuu
@longbowhunter2 Wait rabbits or coons? I know the coons can be rabid. I have a funny story from when I was a kid about a rabid coon.

@SurfNHuntSD maybe one day I will be able to hunt Canada.

@Mud Pigeon I know I wont hurt the fox or yote population, but gotta reassure other people sometimes. Explain why they need to be shot. And I mean we did take their homes, so we need to help keep their numbers in check. I also agree that even if we let everything go back wild the animals would still follow us. We make food easy for them. My basic response to people who say we need to let things go back wild is "you be the start, tear your house down, plant native flora and live in that.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hunting cats was a touchy subject for my wife as well..I get bobcat tags and told my wife I hope to hunt a mountain lion one day and she doesnt like that all to much but she's starting to come around. Shes looking forward to me getting some doves this season because a coworker told her Dove was good lol when I told her she looked at me crazy...oh well at least she's interested Haha hey I'm not far from ya. I live in IB. If you wanna do some coyote or rabbit hunting sometime let me know.

@longbowhunter2 Wait rabbits or coons? I know the coons can be rabid. I have a funny story from when I was a kid about a rabid coon.

@Mud Pigeon I know I wont hurt the fox or yote population, but gotta reassure other people sometimes. Explain why they need to be shot. And I mean we did take their homes, so we need to help keep their numbers in check. I also agree that even if we let everything go back wild the animals would still follow us. We make food easy for them. My basic response to people who say we need to let things go back wild is "you be the start, tear your house down, plant native flora and live in that.
Rabbit foxes, Yotes, and Coons lol,
which can transfer to pets and humans

my old place was loaded with foxes, my new home not so many.. they try to raid the chicken coop..
I use to be against hunting things that I don't eat but that was because of my traditional native American ways.
but we have way to many predators and nothing keeping them in check.
so I changed my mind, I take them out when I can...

Rabbit foxes, Yotes, and Coons lol,
which can transfer to pets and humans

my old place was loaded with foxes, my new home not so many.. they try to raid the chicken coop..
I use to be against hunting things that I don't eat but that was because of my traditional native American ways.
but we have way to many predators and nothing keeping them in check.
so I changed my mind, I take them out when I can...
I thought rabbits were one of the generally safe from rabies animals. Only found the one video of eating fox, a few on eating bobcat, and heard a lot of people say mountain lion and bear is awesome. I'd try them all atleast once.

Hunting cats was a touchy subject for my wife as well..I get bobcat tags and told my wife I hope to hunt a mountain lion one day and she doesnt like that all to much but she's starting to come around. Shes looking forward to me getting some doves this season because a coworker told her Dove was good lol when I told her she looked at me crazy...oh well at least she's interested Haha hey I'm not far from ya. I live in IB. If you wanna do some coyote or rabbit hunting sometime let me know.
Definitely will. Still gearing up and need to start getting some cardio/hiking in to get back in better shape.

Definitely will. Still gearing up and need to start getting some cardio/hiking in to get back in better shape.

I hear ya. I'm getting some new hunting boots and need to break them in soon after. Big 5 in IB suprisingly has a decent selection of stuff at the moment..look for coupons or sign up for emails. I didnt know there was a big 5 at the outlet mall. Going to check it out today and get a dove stool. But I started on a budget so if you need any tips let me know. If price doesnt matter then go nuts but for me I had a very small budget to start.

I hear ya. I'm getting some new hunting boots and need to break them in soon after. Big 5 in IB suprisingly has a decent selection of stuff at the moment..look for coupons or sign up for emails. I didnt know there was a big 5 at the outlet mall. Going to check it out today and get a dove stool. But I started on a budget so if you need any tips let me know. If price doesnt matter then go nuts but for me I had a very small budget to start.
U mean the big 5 off Saturn and palm? probably one of the better big 5s I've been too. Im definitely hunting on a budget right now. I got an old 20ga, a friend with a 22, still need some boots, gaiters, a hat(not a big hat person), lead free ammo, and a few other odds and ends. Was hoping to get out some time September,but realistically it would be about October at the earliest.

Yes that one! I guess it's still considered San Diego not IB. But yes it has a good selection for hunting stuff. Need more boots but online has good deals also. I got some camo pants and a hat at a Walmart in lakeside but that Big 5 just stocked up on camo clothes and hats. They are out of the 100 round Winchester steel #6 & 7s. Good thing I got mine last week. check out camofire.com for daily deals on stuff. Found my pack on there.

You should take up trapping for fox. Trapping License info Coons and skunks carry rabies the most, especially skunks, just dont shoot them in the head, Lung shot works. It can be contracted from the brain matter. Wear rubber gloves when skinning. When I took up hunting my wife went Vegetarian. I feel your pain.

You should take up trapping for fox. Trapping License info Coons and skunks carry rabies the most, especially skunks, just dont shoot them in the head, Lung shot works. It can be contracted from the brain matter. Wear rubber gloves when skinning. When I took up hunting my wife went Vegetarian. I feel your pain.
Thanks for the link on trapping, and the warning on brain matter. I knew it affected the brain, but never gave it more thought than that. I planned on gloving up for dressing and such. Shame ur wife went vegetarian, but more meat for you I guess.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu