Wild game sausages

Sep 26, 2012
I spent Friday evening and most of the day Saturday grinding, mixing, and stuffing four varieties of sausages (over 30 lbs worth). Flavors include venison/bacon bratwurst, Tom's venison/pork sausage, venison/pork chorizo, and pheasant/goose/duck hunter-style sausage. I like the bratwurst the best so far.

Testing some of the sausages:

Back in November, some friends and I went in together on a Cabelas Commercial 3/4hp grinder. Outstanding piece of equipment! As with any grinder, it's not the absolute best thing for stuffing, but it does work. With a little practice, you can turn out some decent links. I think before I process that amount again, I'll buy a stuffing press. The grinder gets fairly warm after 15 minutes of work, and this heat transfers down the shaft and neck to your meat, which isn't good. So between batches, I put the whole assembly in the freezer to keep it cold. It also means that I can only do one operation at a time, whereas having a press would allow someone else to stuff casings while I grind the meat.

Next on the agenda are Italian pork sausage, smoked pork Kielbasa (Polish) sausage, and a pork Andouille smoked sausage (a Cajun sausage that's really good in gumbo and jambalaya). I found some good sales on meat this weekend, but the freezers are getting full. What to do, what to do???

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu