Win Win situation!

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
started a backyard bbq island project, got the cement done, they wanted $4,000 to build the island, wtf!, so i get to buy some new tools, learn to weld,save some money to spend on hunting gear, Win, Win situation!

.20170704_101825.jpg 20170704_130741.jpg 20170704_080042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bugsy71
Very cool. Weld looks ok for a new guy.

I agree Steve. I worked with pros when I was a kid, enough to recognize a solid bead when I see one. It's more than you needed, but beats the alternative. Just be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: steveo007
I manage maintenance crew on a food manufacturing plant for about 25 years and your weld is not that bad for a beginner.
My advice is buy a good auto darkening helmet so you can sleep good at night. Lol

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I manage maintenance crew on a food manufacturing plant for about 25 years and your weld is not that bad for a beginner.
My advice is buy a good auto darkening helmet so you can sleep good at night. Lol

a matter of fact the first helmet i got was a fixed shade #11 i couldnt see crap, id lift my helmet to see i was nowhere near the crack, after some research i swapped it for an ajustable helmet much better results

Independence Day is all about manliness. Nothing more manly than DIY welding.

Except welding a manly bad ass BBQ. Well done!

Reactions: steveo007
nice patio setup as well. you're very handy with that torch. welding is not easy for a beginner , well done. I also like to weld. it's fun to build things.

I would suggest practicing on some scrap parts. until you're happy with it. you are a natural. and it is tough to weld with mig & tig out in the open air if there is wind. setup some wind blockers. the right filler metal with the type of steel helps a bunch to. when I am out working or fixing some thing in the open I like to use stick.

If you are mig welding use a Self Shielded Flux Core wire and you wont need gas. The stuff is built for windy situations. It isn't uncommon for my weld shop doors to be shut even when it is hot because is wind is not your friend when welding with gas.

If you are mig welding use a Self Shielded Flux Core wire and you wont need gas. The stuff is built for windy situations. It isn't uncommon for my weld shop doors to be shut even when it is hot because is wind is not your friend when welding with gas.

thanks for the input truduct, and longbow

almost done with the infrastructure, oh crap i ran out of gaso_O, to be continued

.20170714_181714.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu