Wireless Internet..

I purchased a new dell Inspiron I5 Intel chip. 12gigs memory, 256gb SD drive. And 2 dell 27 in screens.
The box screams. It could open monster Tiff files. No sweat lol.

The performance you feel that box gives you is because of the SSD drive. An i5 chip has two less core than an i7-based machine. So it's not the source of your perceived speed gain. But.. to really see a performance gain you'd have to have both an OS and piece of software written to make use of multiple-cores, such as software written to do it's processing in multiple spawned threads. Without an OS and software written to make use of it... you're only just gonna see the speed gains from the faster bus speeds the MoBo is offering you, and the RAM memory access speeds and I/O throughput from the SSD drive. In windows an SSD drive makes a nice noticeable difference pretty much in everything though. Especially if you're running very memory intensive apps that might cause the OS to need to swap-out what's currently in memory to Virtual Memory on the Hard Drive a bit.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
since i have to work on the site 25/8 SCH got a fast connection at our corp headquarters
yeah its fast :) not to mention our server farm can handle all the duck posts you guys can throw at us

ummm got to ask @longbowhunter2 why are you opening big Tiff files?

since i have to work on the site 25/8 SCH got a fast connection at our corp headquarters
yeah its fast :) not to mention our server farm can handle all the duck posts you guys can throw at us

ummm got to ask @longbowhunter2 why are you opening big Tiff files?

View attachment 39507
Well I have start some where with a limited budget..
Should have planned this better while I was working..
The customer customer create Tiff drawings instead of PDF files.
Because they don't care or know any better. What is convenient for them
They are cad drawings of aircraft parts. In Tiff format. My old computer got choked. It was a bit under powered for today's data lol.

The performance you feel that box gives you is because of the SSD drive. An i5 chip has two less core than an i7-based machine. So it's not the source of your perceived speed gain. But.. to really see a performance gain you'd have to have both an OS and piece of software written to make use of multiple-cores, such as software written to do it's processing in multiple spawned threads. Without an OS and software written to make use of it... you're only just gonna see the speed gains from the faster bus speeds the MoBo is offering you, and the RAM memory access speeds and I/O throughput from the SSD drive. In windows an SSD drive makes a nice noticeable difference pretty much in everything though. Especially if you're running very memory intensive apps that might cause the OS to need to swap-out what's currently in memory to Virtual Memory on the Hard Drive a bit.
Ya that's right dog lol.
New board , new faster, and that static drive does make a difference..
Cool video card, nice 27 inch dell screens. For these tired old eyes.
Drawing 2 d AutoCAD.. lol
PS windows 10 64 bit does take advantage of quad core processor... So I'm told lol.
I big believer the reason computers seem fast when they are new is because as time and heat take effect the circuitry
Cooks and slows down.....

PS windows 10 64 bit does take advantage of quad core processor... So I'm told lol.
I big believer the reason computers seem fast when they are new is because as time and heat take effect the circuitry
Cooks and slows down.....

Yeah Win10 is a multi-threaded OS. So as long as the software you're running is written in a platform that can do worker threads, and they actually bothered to write the software to make use of worker threads... then yeah... you're squeezing the most out of a multi-core processor. (Also for apps that make use of databases, they benefit from those calls getting handled by a dedicated SQL server machine/cluster that's setup nice and stout, but you as a single person running stuff that only you are hitting against would never notice any appreciable gain/difference)

Setups slow down over time usually because of mundane things like a buncha unneeded stuff that gets left behind from prior software installs and is still running in the background and ya might not now it. Or the Windows Registry file getting big and unruly and taking lil bits of time longer to find RegKey values in there that you need to read-in in your software's coding. Or maybe the need for a little defrag'ing. (But that is less and less because now by default they can have a defrag auto kicking-off during off-peak times of the day, which is pretty freakin' cool).

Another big thing that people forget about is all the dust that gets in there and clogs up cooling fins on CPU and Video GPU's greatly reducing their ability to radiate out that heat, so many of them are smarter these days and will throttle themselves down a bit when presented with approaching an over-heating condition. Again, very cool, rather than that chip just killing itself by burning up from running too hot.

Also... I feel certain that Internet Service Providers are often, unbeknownst to the end users, electing to throttle-down broad swaths of non-business users connections bandwidth sometimes. Like, I'll notice enough of a dip in performance then what it should be and sometimes I'll call in and ask them to reboot my connection thread... which nowadays they can do while they are on the phone with you. And low and behold, Oh gee, imagine that... performance magically seems to pick back up to more what you're used to!

I can't prove that it's a deliberate action on their part. And it doesn't happen too darn often. But for me, another thing I'll do when I notice sluggish connections speeds is I might actually elect to power-down my machine for a night... then when the fam leaves in the morning, hard-cut the power to the Fiber-Optic Modem... let it get back on... then power-on my machine, so I know it'll be a brand new connection/ip-registration with their servers, and you usually notice the speed become more like what you remember then.

For you with some AutoCAD software, being setup with a beefy video card, and beefy RAM will be of significance importance for performance. That's assuming it's a locally installed piece of software.

For the most part, I try not to turn-off machines I'll be running daily. The Brown-out that happens everytime you turn-off and turn-on your machine is probably the hardest stress conditions, in the physical realm, on the hardware of the system.

Ya after time reinstall a fresh operating os. Lol
Ya I think they do that with cell phones to..
By the way I will be installing virtual
Like virtual pc so run under the host.
I run a bunch of old crap but it works and has proven data results for calculating gear stuff, gear, thread and other small easy dos programs that are accurate and work lol. Plus I wrote easy macros in Excel gear calcs for special gear cutting and grinding machinery..
No solid works 3 d for now. Maybe down the road.

Last edited:
I have just enough speed and power for now.. it will do the job..
I mostly analyze drawings and break down the necessary steps, and precautions. To manufacture very close tolerance exotic parts..under
High scrutiny, and lots of paper work and certifying what it is..

Up until very recently... I was keeping alive a virtual copy of an old laptop I used to be running some legacy dev stuff on. But... our company stopped supporting TLS 1.0 on the network, since the Payment Card Industry has officially deprecated using 1.0 now. Well... that caused all kinds of problems for them with other things like a buncha updating for folks connecting to Exchange servers. And for me connecting to TFS server... and that older version of Windows had been unsupported for some time... so you couldn't really find any update to install to bump up to TLS 1.1 or 1.2 what it's up to now.

So...My boss had already figured out since then how to install that older Integrated Development Environment on a Win10 machine... There were some RegKey values we had to finagle by hand.... so they bit the bullet and got me a new machine, this time a laptop with better specs to do the dev work on now.

But the cool thing about having it be on a virtual machine before? Was that I could easily make backups of the particular virtual machine folder at will...and like it takes about 2 or 3 full days to re-setup all the Development Tools and 3rd Party Components we make use of... so after every time I just finished any new major coding in the system... I'd backup that Virtual Machine folder off to an External HD rela quick.... and usually give the receiving folder name some kinda naming that reminded me of the milestone I'd reached in that backup.

That saved by butt more than a few times, as sometimes those virtual machine files could end up not booting up anymore after I'd need to install some new thing onto that machine, such as other vendors products we'd integrate with. Who knows what went bad? But I had the source code committed to the TFS server after every item fixed... and those External HD backups. I'd keep like 3 of 'em rotating too. So if ya tried to go backwards and THAT one still had the issue, you could go backward a little further if needed.

But yeah.... between simultaneously running some virtuals.... and also running several Remote Desktop Sessions, and the local host itself... all at the same time?... sometimes it can be a total mind-*uck for an instanct remembering and keeping straight in your mind which machine window had what running on it at that moment. Cool... but taxing sometimes.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu