Wish us luck!!!

Srfnkill

Oct 25, 2011
For some reason Tim (Mergrath) and I were standing around eating some delicious Mountain House and drinking a little Jack while huntiing last weekend and we had the brilliant idea... "hey, we should bring the wives next weekend"... Well, after packing all week we are ready to hit the hills with wives in tow tomorrow thru sunday. Our main goal is to come back happily married and to get Tim's wife a deer. She will be killing any forky that we see. This will be my wife's first experience "roughing it" and hunting. Should be fun!

Good luck to the rest of you!

We will have a full report later.

Awesome. I hope Mergrath's wife smashes one. Maybe a front page story is in order if all goes well (or doesn't ;D).

Have fun boys...

A hunting trip with wife's! What can possibly go wrong? :eek:

Hope you can get some pictures and maybe some video. Good luck!

Papi

Good luck guys. This should make for a good story. I've been down that road.

Somebody has some splainin to do!
[/quote]

Not me.... I only use black ink!!

The weekend was a blast. I went into this weekend with the goal of making my wife as comfortable as I could and telling myself not to get frustrated with her when she wants to talk, moves around a ton or wants to go back to camp because she is bored. I am glassing a huge area so I figured this was the best place to take her. I will say she impressed me more then I thought. She did good. Other then getting stung by a bee I know she had fun and will be going back if we let them. We only saw a few doe which was really odd because I aways see bucks here.

There was a tag filled so I don't want to say too much and let the luck hunter give the details. I will say don't ever tell me there is a buck but he is FAR away because we will be giving chase shortly lol.

Attachments

• DSC00162_2.jpg
    DSC00162_2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
Well, as was said our main goal this trip was to get my wife her first local buck and to give them a great first experience with "roughing it".

Unfortunately things haven't gone according to plan in this area since the full moon went through. We glassed our butts off for the second weekend in a row only to see an occasional doe or fawn here and there. We did have a great time on Saturday night though as we made our dinners, had a few cocktails, played a game of cards and then just sat and watched the harvest moon rise from over the desert.

One of the problems that I face putting my wife on a deer is to make it something that she can physically achieve. She has had some problems in the recent past of getting anxiety attacks which we found out about last season while trying to push her onto a deer. As you all know the chances of finding deer close to roads on public lands just doesn't happen very often around here. So, a max shot of 300 yards and under (praying for 100 yards!) with a minimal, slow paced hike is what I have to work from.

We were just about to call it quits when I start glassing the furthest ridge that I could see. This was exactly one ridge past where I shot my buck from last year. It was very difficult to glass here because my glass turns grey at this distance. BUT, low and behold there is two deer and I could see just enough to verify that one of them was a buck. I bring my wife over and let her look for a few moments when she said that she seen another deer run down and chase another one. So now I'm thinking that there are two bucks fighting over this doe. Unfortunately by the time I get back on the glass there is only one deer standing looking down into the draw. This is when I told my wife "this is where that spotting scope on my Christmas list comes into play"! ;)

I was still very undecided as I couldn't say for certain that this was a good buck or not...but then I got on the radio and told Sammy that I see one but that it is FAR! His reply was just a simple "AND". Again, it is FAR...again, AND...shit! I'll meet you at camp in 10 and we can drop weight. My wife asks me what's the plan and I told her that she could in no way do that hike. "I know it looks completely doable but these draws in between these ridges are steep and loose! So, Sammy and I will go after them and you and Darcy can watch." I know she was bummed as was I but... :-\

So we meet at camp, drop weight and devise a plan to where we will hike the wives (and chairs) up to where I was glassing from and get them set-up on my tri-pod so at least they can watch it unfold. It only took us about 45 minutes to hike into position. At this point we drop our packs and range find the next ridge and it's only like 100 yards. We then slowly start poking our heads up over the ridge and there is a doe standing broadside feeding. I don't see the buck but Sammy sees him bedded down and he see's us. Sammy says he's a legal fork and he's getting up. As soon as he starts standing up I see him and Sammy says take him. I shoulder the gun and boom...he drops! My first thought was "I just shot my wife's deer!" I never got a chance to look at him but that brief second in the scope I seen enough to know that he was a meat deer. I was then hoping that a second deer would pop up for Sammy but never did.

We butchered it and threw it in our packs for the hike out. All I can say is that we screwed up again! We should have hiked out the same route that we hiked in but Sammy wanted to side hill out of the steep draw and drop down the face of a vertical cliff. About a 1/8th of the way down the first ridge we were stuck in no mans land! HEAVY brush, STEEP LOOSE DG, heavy backpacks and along ways to go! This hike out kicked my ass! LOL!!!

Deer11-4-2012.jpg

It all sounds fun...well except for the nasty decent. :eek: And a nice deer to boot. He looks very tender!

I like how you used logic and circumstances to justify a Christmas spotting scope - very clever!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu