Wister this weekend

Khanda

Aug 28, 2019
Wildomar
Did anyone have a good day at Wister for the opener? I'm taking by buddy on his first duck hunt this coming weekend with a resi on Sunday.

Having a good time and shooting ducks are totally 2 different things...The average was 1.4 for Saturday & .4 for Sunday...The worst opener in the history of the wildlife area...It should get better as the area gets some water and moon disappears...Have a good time.

Last edited:
I went to Wister on Sunday and did not even see a duck fly. Only I saw epic of coots fly early in the morning due to people blasting them.
Met a guy, he said he got only a teal on Saturday and Sunday he blasted the coots for training his dog. I am not sure if he or his dog consumes the coots.
I did not fire a shot on Sunday. It is my first time go to the resi on open week without firing my gun. I did have a good time and got chat with game warden.
They came to check me and let me know that i can shoot canada geese which i don't know. However, i told them i don't shoot any bird if i don't know if it is legal or not. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Hunted yesterday Wednesday, couldn’t make it out for the opener, but it’s sad how it seems to get less care every year. The lack of shoots heard was crazy. Walked out with three teal, didn’t see anything flying around after about 8.
Hopefully it get's a little better each day. Really all I'm hoping for is for my buddy to shoot his first duck.

Hopefully it get's a little better each day. Really all I'm hoping for is for my buddy to shoot his first duck.

It actually gets a little worse each day this time of year. One thing you have going for you on Sunday is the wind if it blows as predicted. About a .7 average yesterday.

Reactions: chessie
I really could not have had a better day teaching a friend to duck hunt. It was almost magical the way we had birds working. A huge thanks to Andy for some insight and in a matter of a few hours three of us were responsible for 30% of the birds taken on Sunday. I've never seen so many pintail in my life and I loved every second of it.

Attachments

• 39612.jpeg
    39612.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 39611.jpeg
    39611.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 39601.jpeg
    39601.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20191027_085140.jpg
    20191027_085140.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 71
Hard to believe you can only shoot one pintail in your daily limit this season. Glad you made it out and it shows that Sundays can be productive. Welcome you and your friend to the addiction.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu