Wister

CenterMass

Oct 28, 2013
Check this morning, and found out I was drawn in the middle 50's for a reservation at Wister on Sunday October 19th. I have never been to Wister, so any info regarding blind selection would be helpful. I have a map of the Wister unit. You can either Pm me or add your suggestions to the forum. I've heard they don't have any permanent blinds, so you have to bring your own cover?
Thanks
Mark

Mark,

There are no permanent blinds in per se........There are island blinds in S20 1 & 3, W11D-1, and 312B-1.......Hazard has pit blinds in all sites. Hazard blinds are picked thru Wister check-in in the morning......Many of the dikes are barren (see pix). So arrow weed is a main stay of blind material at Wister......You can cut it yourself or buy it from Frank at the Sportsman Trailer near the check-in station......We also use Fast Grass......If you can see thru your blind. So can the birds......Don't scrimp on blind material. There are spots that have some natural cover (& shade). Salt cedar is pretty common out here.

The water is shallow in most locations, but the mud is deep in all locations (see pic)......With 90 degree weather, breathable waders or hip boots are a real plus.

Decoy wise.......2-4 dozen should be more than enough for the opener......Motion IMO is way more important. It'll probably be dead calm. So jerk strings & motion stuff will be necessary. Pintail, mallards, teal, & spoons will probably be our most common ducks.

Check-in can be very intimidating. You will pick from a big board of blind sites (see pic).....Have at least 10 spots picked beforehand.....Also watch the board to see what's being picked......The boys don't have a lot of patience after a few minutes of indecision. After you pick your spot you will go the windows to pay (there will be a line).....THEY DO NOT TAKE CASH.....Have your day passes or season pass available before you get to the window (see pic). Frank does sell them out there.

After your checked in and have your assigned blind. You will drive to your parking lot......Every parking lot is numbered......For instance, blind T14-2 is in parking lot 21. Each blind site has a intermediate stake with your blind number on it the end of the dike (ie: Y16D-2, see pic)......Your actual blind site will only have a metal post (see pic)......Your allowed to hunt within 100 yds of that metal post. Many times the better natural cover or islands are in that 100 yd radius.....Of note, if you hunt the Hazard Unit, you can't be more than a 100 ft. (33 yds) from your blind stake.

I'll be out there Friday (& this Wednesday)......I'm in Group site 2. In the permanent campground.......I suggest you come out Saturday. You will get on eventually and it will help you for Sunday.

Hope this helps a little........Please PM me for any blind specific questions.

Steve

ps.........The last pic is what not to do........... ;D

Attachments

• duck opener 2010 005.JPG
    duck opener 2010 005.JPG
    508.8 KB · Views: 186
  • wister opener 2011 017.JPG
    wister opener 2011 017.JPG
    542.3 KB · Views: 155
  • wister opener 2011 020.JPG
    wister opener 2011 020.JPG
    603.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7832.JPG
    IMG_7832.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 176
  • wister 12-4-10 019.JPG
    wister 12-4-10 019.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 139
  • wister 12-18-10 005.JPG
    wister 12-18-10 005.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 149
  • wister 1-12-11 009.JPG
    wister 1-12-11 009.JPG
    725.5 KB · Views: 278
  • wister opener 2011 024.JPG
    wister opener 2011 024.JPG
    722.6 KB · Views: 246
Steve,
Thank you, that was the info I was looking for. I have all the licenses, tags, stamps, passes, waders, deke's, etc. Just kind of looking for blind help, realizing that there will be 53 blind picks before me. I've heard there not as info oriented as Tom at SJ. Have been hunting SJ for years, trying to branch out, have even put in for some CWA northern areas. Was chosen for Denverton and Goose Lake on same day (go figure), at the end of October, but will be in Washington state hunting blacktails.
Again, thanks.
Mark

Is wister a private or public land an how does everything work? this will be my first waterfowl season...so i am a rookie for hunting for waterfowl any tip an stuff i need to know thank you !

squidy said:
Is wister a private or public land an how does everything work? this will be my first waterfowl season...so i am a rookie for hunting for waterfowl any tip an stuff i need to know thank you !

Wister Unit/Imperial is a Type A public wildlife area open to hunting Wed, Sat, & sun.........The cost to hunt is $20.78 per day......You can also purchase a season pass that is good for all wildlife areas & refuges thru-out the state.....Cost is $156.60.

If you want to get in the drawing the night before each shoot day. You need to put in your card the night before by 10:30 pm.

There's also a lottery draw for each shoot day thru the state.......Here's the link.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/waterfowl/waterfowlresinfo.html

There are approx. 105 blinds available right now........100 people are drawn in the state lottery draw.....Opening week-end will be a zoo. But after that, you can get on most anytime.

Here's another link to Imperial W.A. /Wister Unit.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dfg.ca.gov%2Flands%2Fwa%2Fregion6%2Fimperial.html&ei=nxE4VKHZOpfboAThwYDIBw&usg=AFQjCNHH6ul0W36VXphzA-NQuqJI499YbQ&sig2=jcKaP5hZant0pnpVGY9kfg&bvm=bv.77161500,d.cGU

Good luck

One thing I left off........You can hunt or check-in anytime during the day until 3:00 pm......Many guys don't even come over to the check station till after everyone has left.......On most days, the big site board will have many spots available.

and if you see a Romanian with a pony tail stay out of his way he is very unforgiving if you piss him off

and know your distances and maximum ranges otherwise you will wound lots of birds and piss off other hunters in the area and its not ethical

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu