Workouts 2023

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
What's everyone's fitness plan for next season? Now that I'm approaching middle age I need to take this seriously.

The nutrition side also needs some help!

Reactions: 2duckhunter4
Any program/diet that you stick to that incorporates progressive overload will get you there. The biggest thing is finding something you stick to.

I'd recommend Starting Strength or 5/3/1 for the weights. I also hit the stair stepper, hike and or jog as well 1-2x a week. Usually a little more before a big high country hunt.

I'd also recommend myfitnesspal for tracking your diet. You dont have to track all your macros/calories forever but if you do it for a week you will be amazed what you actually eat. From there you can you can track every once in a while and get really close by guessing macro nutrients. Thats what I do.

If you are not into those things there are other options. Orange theory, crossfit, mma gym, hiking clubs, running clubs and so on.

I just stick to the same program year-round and would have no issue hitting the high country for a tough hunt tomorrow if need be. I've also found changing into my gym clothes the second I don't need to be dressed nice for work and having a membership at the closest gym to my house helps fight off the excuses.

I'm in extremely good shape weights wise but imho it doesn't translate to being better on the mountain. I think for stuff like that incline treadmill or stair stepper would be a good start, or just actually hiking. Being able to lift something 1, 3, 5 or even 12-15 times is much different than hiking miles or even less with something on your back. The worst thing that ever happens for my fitness is hunting season, diet, lack of sleep, time etc.. Most of the people that I think are in great hunting shape don't look like they're in shape at all. I agree to all of the above for staying in regular physical shape though, and I'm sure its a much better starting point than having not worked out in the offseason!

Jog hills if you can. Walk them if you cant. Flat terrain walks at low elevation will not help. At least not over 10,000 feet. Walking hills with your actual hunting backpack with some weight on it makes sense. Hunting with young guys that you can guilt into carrying extra weight from your pack is always best.

John

to add to what @180ls1 said

Here is a simple nutrition plan: read the ingredients labels on packaged food and don't eat anything with any form of sugar (anything that ends in "...ose" like dextrose, glucose, etc.). https://www.virtahealth.com/blog/names-for-sugar
Assuming you have a freezer full of organic, wild caught, free range, grass fed...meat that you harvested in one manner, stick to the fresh (unpackaged, unprocessed) foods isle of the grocery store.

If you are time constrained during the work week, get out for a walk around the neighborhood before and/or after work for 30-60 minutes at a pace of at least 3 mph. Wear ankle waits to simulate boots and a backpack full of gallon jugs to your desired pack weight (~40-60 lbs). Do another walk during lunch time at a similar pace using similar equipment. You can cover 4-9 miles per day. This will help improve your fitness on the mtn. You will still suck wind, but you will suck less.
Park at the back of the lot at the store, carry items (groceries, etc.) in hand rather than in a cart.
Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
Lots of little things can add up, the science backs this approach. Anything to get your heart rate elevated and your raspatory rate up will make your body more efficient at processing oxygen, which will translate to the mtn. Do it consistent at least 60 minutes per day.

Practice like you play. On the weekends, hike/run up mountains or do whatever you do during the hunting season.
If you can find a workout/nutrition buddy to help keep you on track and motivated, that will help too.

Great advice in here so far.

Just to add one more thing. If the primary purpose is to be a better hunter, there is nothing better than putting a pack on and hiking. The same way throwing baseballs makes you a better pitcher or shooting long range helps with long hunting shots. Specific training is untouchable.

From there you can address certain issues that arise and supplement with other training. Struggle with heavy loads? Consider squats/deadlifts and core work. Tight back or calves? Supplement with yoga (or whatever works for you). The main workouts should still be hiking with a pack though.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu