Wow hunting is fun

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
I've been trying to make hunting part of my life since January but finally got the chance to shoot something today, went out to CNF land and shot a cottontail with my 12GA. It felt super weird picking up downed game, but now that I've broken that barrier I'm sure it will be no big deal for now on.

So I cut it open (another weird feeling but I got over it quickly) and think I gut shot it because there was green mush everywhere. Any tips on avoiding that in the future? I continued cleaning it and put it on ice, but not sure if I should be eating it.

Anyway, had a good time and can't wait to do it again :)

Wash it off and your good too go!

Gut shots and rabbits go hand in hand with hunting.

Great job Zak!
Cook it slow and not long! Rabbit is very good fried, grilled, smoked or braised......takes a marinade really well too.

Reactions: Zak
Good job with a scatter gun always aim in front of the nose. I also just use Steve’s gutless method now. I take the rear quarters and back straps.
Sometimes I cook the whole bunny but rear quarters and backs straps are where it’s at.

Lee,

I don't think it's on You Tube...I invented it and have never recorded....lol

ps...Congrats Zak....Got one under your belt...Now go get more....;)
LoL Steve
Need to make a video.
Throw it on you tube...
I think finally got me too.
Skin it, debone it. No more stinky mess. Lol

Yeah that green mush is crazy smelly. Pretty sure that's just bile. Just wash it off as soon as ya can.

BTW... if you inspect the Rabbits... (which many folks recommend you do, to see if it has Tularemia (sp?)) Don't freak out... you'll see a green looking thing on that liver underneath of it "that just don't look right". But don't fret, it's actually the gall-bladder. It looks like it could be some kinda worm thing and will weird you out.

ALSO... you're highly likely to come across Bot fly larvae when cleaning game. It'll be like inside their nasal cavity or sometimes in the ear canal or something like that. They are surprisingly large. Don't know how the poor critters can deal with havin' 'em up in there like that.

A lot of time you'll see skin-tags on the rabbits ears. That's perfectly Ok. If you don't know what they look like, Google that as well.

You're highly likely to encounter Fleas on your Rabbits. Be aware of that.

You're highly likely to find a bunch of ticks on the under-belly of the deer, nearer to their genitalia. It just is what it is. Have your gloves on, be sure to have sprayed your clothing with the permethrin spray ahead of time. Check your sleaves and pants legs often during processing. The freakin' Ticks are damn near indestructible. To kill them you're going to have to cut/crush thru their bodies with a knife blade as you find them once you get back home and are processing the meat or hide. They will survive just fine in the cooler. You will likely NOT be able to crush them between your fingers. Their exoskeletons are insanely strong.

When you manage to take a deer... and you are skinning it... take care to NOT leave those thin layers of muscle tissue connected to the hide. Those are a pain to fuss with fleshing-off when you're at home processing the hide for tanning.

Everybody and their Mama is going to tell you... when you are working with a replaceable scalpel blade knife... SLOW THE EFF DOWN!! And ALWAYS be thinking about where that knife blade is going to go the moment it cuts thru that stubborn tendon you're working on! Make sure you bring stuff with you to attend to a wound that you can cause yourself by not paying better attention to these details and you shank yourself with that scalpel blade. It happens VERY fast! Also MANY dudes have (for some reason) stabbed themselves in the thigh with them while processing big game. I've seen many videos and posts where dudes have messed around and stabbed into that Femoral artery, which is a very serious situation.

So... again.... SLOW THE EFF DOWN!!! When you finally get lucky and bag your first deer and begin to process it.

Oh... and depending on your location... possibly be prepared for the Yellow Jackets (-aka- The Meat Bees) to come and want to get all up in your kill. It will weird/freak you out the first time it happens. But it's Ok, they really don't care so much about you... they want that meat/blood. Just gently brush them out of the way with your gloved hand and you should be fine. Also.. on that same note... I learned to NOT remove the entire hide... only to remove it from the current body part I'm working to remove the meat from. For me this minimizes the problem of the Yellow Jackets coming in and getting all over everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: YETI and Zak
Yeah that green mush is crazy smelly. Pretty sure that's just bile. Just wash it off as soon as ya can.

BTW... if you inspect the Rabbits... (which many folks recommend you do, to see if it has Tularemia (sp?)) Don't freak out... you'll see a green looking thing on that liver underneath of it "that just don't look right". But don't fret, it's actually the gall-bladder. It looks like it could be some kinda worm thing and will weird you out.

ALSO... you're highly likely to come across Bot fly larvae when cleaning game. It'll be like inside their nasal cavity or sometimes in the ear canal or something like that. They are surprisingly large. Don't know how the poor critters can deal with havin' 'em up in there like that.

A lot of time you'll see skin-tags on the rabbits ears. That's perfectly Ok. If you don't know what they look like, Google that as well.

You're highly likely to encounter Fleas on your Rabbits. Be aware of that.

You're highly likely to find a bunch of ticks on the under-belly of the deer, nearer to their genitalia. It just is what it is. Have your gloves on, be sure to have sprayed your clothing with the permethrin spray ahead of time. Check your sleaves and pants legs often during processing. The freakin' Ticks are damn near indestructible. To kill them you're going to have to cut/crush thru their bodies with a knife blade as you find them once you get back home and are processing the meat or hide. They will survive just fine in the cooler. You will likely NOT be able to crush them between your fingers. Their exoskeletons are insanely strong.

When you manage to take a deer... and you are skinning it... take care to NOT leave those thin layers of muscle tissue connected to the hide. Those are a pain to fuss with fleshing-off when you're at home processing the hide for tanning.

Everybody and their Mama is going to tell you... when you are working with a replaceable scalpel blade knife... SLOW THE EFF DOWN!! And ALWAYS be thinking about where that knife blade is going to go the moment it cuts thru that stubborn tendon you're working on! Make sure you bring stuff with you to attend to a wound that you can cause yourself by not paying better attention to these details and you shank yourself with that scalpel blade. It happens VERY fast! Also MANY dudes have (for some reason) stabbed themselves in the thigh with them while processing big game. I've seen many videos and posts where dudes have messed around and stabbed into that Femoral artery, which is a very serious situation.

So... again.... SLOW THE EFF DOWN!!! When you finally get lucky and bag your first deer and begin to process it.

Oh... and depending on your location... possibly be prepared for the Yellow Jackets (-aka- The Meat Bees) to come and want to get all up in your kill. It will weird/freak you out the first time it happens. But it's Ok, they really don't care so much about you... they want that meat/blood. Just gently brush them out of the way with your gloved hand and you should be fine. Also.. on that same note... I learned to NOT remove the entire hide... only to remove it from the current body part I'm working to remove the meat from. For me this minimizes the problem of the Yellow Jackets coming in and getting all over everything.

Thanks guys, that is a lot of information! Some details that stuck out to me:

Fleas - I read from some people that they approach the flea issue by letting the rabbit lie there for a while before they pick it up so the fleas jump off, although this contradicts other stuff I read that says you should field dress as soon as possible especially when it's hot outside.

Tularemia - Apparently the liver has discoloration if the rabbit is infected?

Method - I saw various methods online, but I wanted to experience using the conventional method of removing the entrails because I read the concept is similar for deer. I want to try the gutless method though, it sounds awesome.

Transport - I was reading different styles of getting small game back to the car, from plastic bags, game pockets, and field dressing it on the spot (which seems inefficient, I'd rather shoot 5 then clean them all at once).

The knife I used was really crappy, so I ordered a Havalon online. Will definitely "slow the eff down" next time ;)

Lots of stuff to learn, shooting it was the easy part.

YES... in hunting shooting is just about THEE easiest part! Afterward is when the REAL work begins!

It's no joke man. Practice walking every afternoon with at least 3 gallons of water in your pack. Start with a little loop, just like a mile or something. Then start making the loop longer, or adding more weight, or both. Understand... that if you get lucky... let's just say with a modest 130-140 Lbs deer... the general rule of thumb they tell you is that boned out... (just meat and hide and skull) it'll be like HALF of that... so you figure like 75-80 Lbs. ON TOP OF... whatever the heck else you had in your pack. There is a very real possibility that you'll decide to leave somethings behind and come back in on a second trip hiking back to fetch them later. Like leave your tent pitched, and put the left behind stuff in that.

Also... you're going to need to practice getting clicked into your backpack when it's on the ground and full of the weight of the meat. You lay on it like a turtle on your back (if you're smart you'll lean that pack up against a tree so it's easier to flip over) you click-in... then flip-over to all fours... then you crawl your hands back to your knees... then one hand on knee one hand on ground... you lift-off the Earth... then transfer both hands to helping you crawl and push all that weight up to a standing position as you rise to standing fully upright. Walking those hands up your thighs.

TAKE SHORTER STEPS THEN YOU'RE USED TO when you are hiking back out of there with the weight on! Your knees and ankles will thank you later. It's scary easy to twist your knee if your footing slips momentarily on like a downhill descent with all that weight on your back. It would MAJORLY SUCK if you twisted/popped your knee outta whack out there while hiking back at night. Being very serious here man... remember to always be thinking about avoiding injury. If a path you're thinking of taking makes you feel sketchy at all... don't do it man. Stop and re-assess, see if there is a better path. Sometimes there's not, and you'll just have to get down and slide down off something with your butt already on the ground to lessen likelihood of an accident. When crossing water... like a creek or something.. NEVER trust those damn rocks! Use a dang trekking pole! I've got a plate and 13 screws in my wrist now from having my boot shoot out from under me on the last rock before making it to the other side of a simple creek crossing. (It happened to be 32 F that morning some probably some ice had formed on the rock)

Definitely due gutless for Rabbits man... don't bother with gutting Rabbits man. It's pointless. It doesn't gain you any usable meat.
And Rabbits guts smell DANG BAD if you perforate them! I was surprised how strong that smell was. Like I said must've been liver or gallbladder the bullet obliterated.

Also watch the videos for doing gutless method on deer over-and-over until you can visualize it from memory. It's not hard, just a few important parts you need to remember to make it easier.

I have these really cool Meat Bags from Kifaru. They are Ultra thin and light and make the meat from your deer stand-up in a cylinder shape when they are filled so the weight carries very well in the pack. They were also a little easier to work with that the Alaskan Game Bags. Did a better job of keeping the Yellow Jackets and Flies off as well. I carry one of those for the meat, and still use one of those stretchy Alaskan Game Bags for the hide and head. Those work better for wrapping around the antlers and ziptie-ing them on to close them for transport.

When I'm hunting for Rabbits... I just use that Kifaru meat bag and that's it. Very handy. Easy to close. Engineered so that if you wanted to... you can hang them upside down to drain-out the blood if you wanted to.

You WILL nick your gloves a time or two with your Havalon the first few times. Until you learn to totally respect it. I am not kidding. So bring like 3 or 4 changes of the Nitrile gloves with you. Make sure you've got your QuickClot and appropriate bandages that stuff should go with you everytime. Practice a couple times removing the Havalon blade... first with a needlenose plier to help you... then... once you've got a feel for the kind of force necessary... practice doing it without the needlenose. You CAN do it safely without the needle-nose... just got to WHAT? All together class..."slow the eff down!"

Reactions: YETI and Zak
Zak,

They may have fleas, but it's rare to ever see them...I wouldn't worry about it...I clean them at Lake Henshaw or home.

I have no idea what their liver looks like...Filet method only.

If you're walking some distances...Purchased a upland game bird vest and carry them in the back pouch...I shoot most of mine from the truck...So, I just throw them in the back...lol

Never try to clean stuff with a dull knife...Great way to cut yourself...I use "sharp" short bladed filet knives for rabbits...Havolon's are good as well.

Shooting most things is always the easy part....;)

I throw rabbits in plastic trash bag, and bird vest. To keep the fleas contained.
I second a fillet knife and scissors. Both sharp.
I clean them after my hunt then throw them in ice with a cooler.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu