Wyoming Antelope

BubbaEff

May 4, 2020
I returned from Wyoming earlier this week after hunting the antelope opener. Our party was unsuccessful in the buck draw, so we were hunting does only, trying to fill freezers. The first two days were rough for our hunting party. The antelope were on high alert and could spot us from what seemed like a mile away. There were fewer antelope this year on the land we were hunting, possibly due to the extreme drought they have been having (at least in this particular area of Wyoming), and those that were there were constantly on the run. I was fortunate to sneak up a ravine to within 100 yards of the herd on the morning of opening day and took the first doe for our hunting party. No other antelope were taken in the first two days. On day 3, we hunted a different piece of land and the rest of the party were successful in taking doe. I was hoping to harvest 2 doe antelope during the trip since I had two tags, but I missed a good opportunity on day 3 (no one's fault but my own ... live and learn I suppose). On day 4, back in our original location, I was able to stock the herd again to within 100 yards, but a fellow hunter in our party didn't know I had already worked my way in on the herd and he inadvertently spooked the herd just as I was about to pull the trigger. The second doe wasn't meant to be for me this year. I had a blast though. This was only my second time big game hunting trip (I successfully hunted antelope in WY last year too). Once again, I certainly learned a lot from the experienced hunters in our group and can't wait for my next hunt ... D16. Best wishes everyone!!!

.IMG_0347.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your success! A buddy of mine just harvested a buck last weekend. I'm looking forward to trying the meat sometime soon. Never had it before

Reactions: BubbaEff

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu