X916 Buck

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
So after striking out on a 5 day backpacking hunt the first week of the season I thought I was content with eating my tag. Well turns out I wasn’t I told my wife I had some business to settle and she gave me the green light to head up there for the last weekend. I had to teach my youth group Friday night so me and my 13 year old left Saturday morning at 3am to go try and fill my tag.
Hiked up during the middle of the day and didn’t see much life. Ended up hiking real high for the evening glassing session and glassed up a ton deer in huge basin essentially on the top of the range.

We hiked down to the flats by some water set up a base camp. We woke up brite and early made about a 2 mile hike in the dark to get up to an area to glass and hopefully make a play on a buck. At day brake the basin came to life probably had 50 deer in it but only one buck and he was a dink. I talked to my kid who at this point was frozen and he said let’s go get him. We had perfect wind and about an hour later we were in position.
30CD8D7C-FC85-4B3E-987D-078F849B330A.jpeg963FE449-A0C6-4978-AADD-8EF347A9139D.jpeg
I had a perfect rest laying prone on a rock. All the deer were out in the open except for the buck. He was behind a bush right next to a bright pink collared doe. I had my scope on the bush for about 30 minutes before he stepped out. I let the Tikka 260 eat at 370 yards he ran down hill the does went up.
We hike over to him and found him about 50 yards from impact. Got him boned out and in the pack. We got back to camp around noon put camp in our packs and finished our miserable yet wonderful pack out to the truck.
31AA094C-B9F8-4CE3-884C-2D6499E1E0D9.jpeg7670FA21-EFC4-449B-B8D9-84191A6BAA09.jpegD6369B05-2D05-4DEA-9D16-46B766DC972E.jpeg
All in all this hunt kicked my butt. I had dreams of going deep and finding monster bucks up in high basins. That wasn’t the reality for me and instead of shooting my largest buck I shot my smallest. A hunt is what you make it and it was great getting to backpack hunt with my kid and pack out a buck. It is a memory that will last a lifetime. I did the 16 proud with this guy.

Last edited:
Congrats! I’m sure the memories spent with your son will over weigh shooting a smaller buck. He will remember that day forever I’m sure .

Reactions: TRICER
A great memory with your boy, you will both remember it forever! Congratulations Drew, way to stick with it.

Reactions: TRICER
I've never shot a big buck or bull and certainly not a ram but have had the opportunity to have helped others do so and those experiences and memories will live with me forever. It is of more value to me at this point than taking one myself because I have the ability to recall with them what we did together when it happened around the campfire or whenever we are together and recall them like they were yesterday and recount some of the aspects between each other we might have forgot as individual's (as well as it has taught me many hunt skills I may have never gained otherwise). Along with that I have had the priveledge to put wife on her first buck and cow elk along with getting both of her sons (my step sons on their first deer and the younger one his first turkey (Ed Zieralski got her oldest his first bird) The experiences, commaraderie and memories to me have become important. Don't get me wrong get out there and get some for yourself those are powerful memories as well. Its the journey not the score in my mind now, after all when its said and done its just stuff we accumulate if we keep score as opposed to living the experience win lose or draw with someone we care about and recounting it and smiling once again as time goes by.

Great time with your boy! A memory he will never forget and surely more meals he'll be looking forward to in the future with his pops!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu