YIKES!!!!!!

Snake Charmer said:
No license required, possession limit is two except in SD county where it is illegal to possess them at all (county ordinance) I'm currently working with the board of supervisors on a change to the ordinance that would allow licensed and insured dog trainers to possess for aversion training.

When you say possession, are you talking live snakes? I just want to hunt them....

Not sure about that particular definition, You would have to call county animal services and see if they would like to have you turn yourself in (thats about the only way you will get caught). The DFG does not enforce local ordinance unless you upset them and then they might turn you over to the county mounties.

Snake Charmer said:
Not sure about that particular definition, You would have to call county animal services and see if they would like to have you turn yourself in (thats about the only way you will get caught). The DFG does not enforce local ordinance unless you upset them and then they might turn you over to the county mounties.

Ok you confused me. I was only looking for DFG info whether or not you can hunt them. Is there a county ordinance that says you can't possess dead snakes when legal hunted/ killed under DFG regulations?

2012-2013 Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations
Effective March 1, 2012

Previous Page Next Page Species Regulations (CCR, T14, Chapter 2, Article 4, Section 5.60)
5.60. Reptiles.
(a) General Provisions: Only the following reptiles may be taken under the authority of a sportfishing license, subject to the restrictions in this section. The limit for each of the species listed below is two, unless otherwise provided. Limit, as used in this section, means daily bag and possession limit. No reptiles shall be taken from ecological reserves designated by the commission in Section 630 or from state parks, or national parks or monuments.
(b) No sportfishing license is required for the sport take of any rattlesnake.
(1) Painted turtle (Chrysemys picta): Limit: No limit.
(2) Slider Turtle (Pseudemys (Trachemys) scripta): Limit: No limit.
(3) Spiny softshell turtle (Trionyx spiniferus): Limit: No limit.
(4) Western banded gecko (Coleonyx variegatus)
(5) Desert iguana (Dipsosaurus dorsalis)
(6) Chuckwalla (Sauromalus obesus)
(7) Zebra-tailed lizard (Callisaurus draconoides)
(8) Colorado Desert fringe-toed lizard (Uma notata)
(9) Mojave fringe-toed lizard (Uma scoparia)
(10) Desert spiny lizard (Sceloporus magister)
(11) Granite spiny lizard (Sceloporus orcutti)
(12) Western fence lizard (Sceloporus occidentalis): Limit: Species No. 12-16 have a limit of twenty-five (25) in the aggregate
(13) Sagebrush lizard (Sceloporus graciosus): Limit: Species No. 12-16 have a limit of twenty-five (25) in the aggregate
(14) Side-blotched lizard (Uta stansburiana): Limit: Species No. 12-16 have a limit of twenty-five (25) in the aggregate
(15) Western skink (Eumeces skiltonianus): Limit: Species No. 12-16 have a limit of twenty-five (25) in the aggregate
(16) Desert night lizard (Xantusia vigilis): Limit: Species No. 12-16 have a limit of twenty-five (25) in the aggregate
(17) Long-tailed brush lizard (Urosaurus graciosus)
(18) Tree lizard (Urosaurus ornatus)
(19) Small-scaled lizard (Urosaurus microscutatus)
(20) Desert horned lizard (Phrynosoma platyrhinos)
(21) Short-horned lizard (Phrynosoma douglassii)
(22) Great basin collared lizard (Crotaphytus bicintores)
(23) Banded rock lizard (Petrosaurus mearnsi)
(24) Baja California collared lizard (Crotaphytus vestigum)
(25) Long-nosed leopard lizard (Gambelia wislizenii)
(26) Gilbert’s skink (Eumeces gilberti)
(27) Western whiptail (Cnemidophorus tigris)
(28) Southern alligator lizard (Elgaria multicarinata)
(29) Northern alligator lizard (Elgaria coerulea)
(30) California legless lizard (Anniella pulchra), except black legless lizard (Anniella pulchra nigra): Limit: One (1)
(31) Rubber boa (Charina bottae), except southern rubber boa (Charina bottae umbratica)
(32) Rosy boa (Lichanura trivirgata)
(33) Ringneck snake (Diadophis punctatus)
(34) Sharp-tailed snake (Contia tenuis)
(35) Spotted leaf-nosed snake (Phyllorhynchus decurtatus)
(36) Racer (Coluber constrictor)
(37) Coachwhip (Masticophis flagellum), except San Joaquin Coachwhip (Masticophis flagellum ruddocki)
(38) Striped whipsnake (Masticophis taeniatus)
(39) California whipsnake (striped racer) (Masticophis lateralis), except Alameda whipsnake (Masticophis lateralis euryxanthus)
(40) Western patch-nosed snake (Salvadora hexalepis).
(41) Glossy snake (Arizona elegans)
(42) Gopher snake (Pituophis melanoleucus): Limit: Four (4)
(43) Common kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula): Limit: Four (4)
(44) California mountain kingsnake (Lampropeltis zonata), except San Diego mountain kingsnake (Lampropeltis zonata pulchra) : Limit: One (1). Special Closure: No California mountain kingsnakes shall be taken in Orange and San Diego counties, and in Los Angeles County west of Interstate 5.
(45) Long-nosed snake (Rhinocheilus lecontei)
(46) Common garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis), except San Francisco garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia): Special Closure: No common garter snakes shall be taken in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Diego, and Ventura counties.
(47) Terrestrial garter snake (Thamnophis elegans)
(48) Western aquatic (Sierra) garter snake (Thamnophis couchii)
(49) Pacific coast aquatic garter snake (Thamnophis atratus)
(50) Northwestern garter snake (Thamnophis ordinoides)
(51) Checkered garter snake (Thamnophis marcianus)
(52) Ground snake (Sonora semiannulata)
(53) Western shovel-nosed snake (Chionactis occipitalis)
(54) California black-headed snake (Tantilla planiceps)
(55) Southwestern black-headed snake (Tantilla hobartsmithi)
(56) Lyre snake (Trimorphodon biscutatus)
(57) Night snake (Hypsiglena torquata)
(58) Western blind snake (Leptotyphlops humilis)
(c) Open season: All year.
(d) Hours: Reptiles may be taken at any time of day or night.
(e) Methods of take:
(1) Reptiles may be taken only by hand, except as provided in subsections (e)(2) and (3) below, or by the following hand-operated devices:
(A) Lizard nooses.
(B) Snake tongs.
(C) Snake hooks.
(2) Rattlesnakes may be taken by any method.
(3) Turtles may be taken by hook and line. Fishing methods described in Section 2.00 apply to the take of spiny softshell turtles, slider turtles and painted turtles.
(4) It is unlawful to use any method or means of collecting that involves breaking apart of rocks, granite flakes, logs or other shelters in or under which reptiles may be found.

I believe from a hunting standpoint you are totally legal. There are many people who hunt the snakes. I spoke with DFG and what they said was the possession of live venomous snakes for use other than consumption/skin harvest etc. was how they interpreted some of the city & county ordinances.

NBK said:
I believe from a hunting standpoint you are totally legal. There are many people who hunt the snakes. I spoke with DFG and what they said was the possession of live venomous snakes for use other than consumption skin harvest etc. was how they interpreted some of the city & county ordinances.

Oh ok. I found some articles and discovered the current controversy over using rattlesnakes for avoidance training. Thats not for me. Want nothing to do with live rattlesnakes other than killin them to fry them up.....and the skin.

The dfg has no problem with you hunting snakes, they didnt even know SD county had an ordinance until I started talking to them earlier this year.The city and county ordinance as it is written makes no mention of alive or dead, it says possession is illegal in the city and county, federal and state land is not under animal services jurisdiction. Someone would have to register a complaint with animal services before you would hear from them and then it would probably start with you getting a phone call and I seriously doubt they would bother you if you are harvesting them for consumption, my conversations with the director and deputy director of animal services centered around keeping live specimens and they made it clear that is illegal and they will enforce if a complaint is registered. Bottom line I wouldnt worry about it if you are harvesting for consumption.

Snake Charmer said:
The dfg has no problem with you hunting snakes, they didnt even know SD county had an ordinance until I started talking to them earlier this year.The city and county ordinance as it is written makes no mention of alive or dead, it says possession is illegal in the city and county, federal and state land is not under animal services jurisdiction. Someone would have to register a complaint with animal services before you would hear from them and then it would probably start with you getting a phone call and I seriously doubt they would bother you if you are harvesting them for consumption, my conversations with the director and deputy director of animal services centered around keeping live specimens and they made it clear that is illegal and they will enforce if a complaint is registered. Bottom line I wouldnt worry about it if you are harvesting for consumption.

Good info. Thanks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu