Youngster new to SD county. Looking to learn as much as possible!

Kbird22

Apr 19, 2020
Hello all,

My girlfriend and I just moved to San Diego about a month ago. Despite all the craziness going on in our world right now I am really excited to be here. Being new to the area I've been trying to gather information on hunting and fishing in the county but resources have been limited until I found this forum (big thank you to whoever started it!).

I am a 24 years old and I'm pretty much new hunter. Last duck season was my first hunting experience and I was lucky enough to be able to hunt out at Kern quite often. Now that I am down here I feel like a rookie hunter all over again especially now that I am trying to dabble in turkey hunting. I have gone out a few times in area of Cleveland NF but with no luck besides finding some tracks. I am a wildlife biologist so I feel like I have a good understanding of animal behavior, ecology and habitats my problem is just not knowing where to start in terms of areas to look especially with some areas of the NF being closed down due to Covid. I do have OnX and have tried my best to use it to find good areas.

I am in no way asking for spots or anything like that, just advice from vets that are willing to help guide a new hunter.

Best of luck to everyone chasing turkeys before the season ends and if you have been successful I am truly jealous!
Happy to have joined this forum

Kb22,

Welcome to SCH...Lots of info here in the archives for turkey hunting here in our county...Also, lots of print about San Jacinto & Wister wildlife areas...Are you a biologist for DFW, feds, or a private entity?

Thanks for the welcome. Most recently I worked for State Parks before moving here. Was supposed to work for a private entity before the virus now I'm just waiting for it to be over so I can work again

I am also looking to get a lab or golden so if anyone knows any good breeders please let me know!

You'll be hard pressed to find a field bred golden around here and will probably need to look in the midwest, Good labs are available locally make sure its from a gun dog line as they have been bred for a lot of different reasons and that could mean a dog without good prey drive. Also you might want to look into the North American Versatile Hunting dog Association (NAVHDA) they are all about what are called versatile dogs that can do more than a retriever. Check out their website, there is also a local chapter.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu