Youth Hunting Requirements

Is That A Duck

Feb 6, 2021
My 7 year old’s interest in hunting has been growing and I’d like to take him on a bird hunt(s) next season. I’m thinking quail or dove or duck to introduce him to hunting. Does he need a hunting license or need to take a hunter education course in order to do so? I’ve been researching and getting mixed answers. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

He can go and watch no problem. If he is going to shoot or hunt then you need a license. Now is a good time to get your hunter safety done. It's online and pretty easy. My 9yo passed no problem

ALL You need is hunter safety in 1 state
Most states have a minimum age to apply to the big game draw though. I'm curious because I too have a young daughter that wants to start hunting and I'm going to begin with birds of all kinds because of this. If you know of states I can get her in, let me know, hahaha.

Comifornia you have to be 12 to hunt big game not sure of the other state requirements.

Most states have a minimum age to apply to the big game draw though. I'm curious because I too have a young daughter that wants to start hunting and I'm going to begin with birds of all kinds because of this. If you know of states I can get her in, let me know, hahaha.

I believe in MT you can earn points at any age.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu