YT action out of H&M

ke1234567

Jul 24, 2018
Santa Clarita, CA
Went out for a 1.5 day on the Constitution. Good captain and cook. Deck hands knew what they were doing, but could use a class on customer service. And $10/fish for processing was a little uncalled for, but I suspect they were taking advantage of the fact that there were so many rental rods and first timers on the boat who did not know the difference. BUT, we did limit on YT, with a few dodos and tuna in the mix. It was mostly paddy hopping all day, with limits by about 10 a.m. Kept fishing all day and headed back early (about 8 p.m.) and we were floating in the SD harbor by about 3:30/4:00 a.m., docked by 0600 and I was in my truck driving away by 0700.

The early morning bite was almost all fly lined sardines. Middle of the day got quiet, and in the afternoon, YFT and BFT boils were popping up. My friend and I simultaneously through in irons right in the middle of one. Probably within seconds he got bit. After one step down the rail, I was bit, and it was on. He landed a 20-25 lb YFT, and I fought mine for a good 15 mins. Line went straight out and it was believed to be a much larger BFT. Hook finally popped and that was that. My friends and I all went over limits so we donated to the boat for those who did not limit. Not a bad trip, but I don't think I'll be fishing that boat again. Kinda bush league with the nickel and diming they were doing.

Attachments

• 64878697070__3AD9A7FD-6046-4907-B502-C34C246C0D84.jpg
    64878697070__3AD9A7FD-6046-4907-B502-C34C246C0D84.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3374.JPG
    IMG_3374.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3378.jpg
    IMG_3378.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3379.jpg
    IMG_3379.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 42
Looks like a great trip to me. Yeah at 10 buck I would of taken fish whole.... but I haven't been on many trips so I don't know what a normal fee would be. I think my half day they charged $3 per fish

Went out for a 1.5 day on the Constitution. Good captain and cook. Deck hands knew what they were doing, but could use a class on customer service. And $10/fish for processing was a little uncalled for, but I suspect they were taking advantage of the fact that there were so many rental rods and first timers on the boat who did not know the difference. BUT, we did limit on YT, with a few dodos and tuna in the mix. It was mostly paddy hopping all day, with limits by about 10 a.m. Kept fishing all day and headed back early (about 8 p.m.) and we were floating in the SD harbor by about 3:30/4:00 a.m., docked by 0600 and I was in my truck driving away by 0700.

The early morning bite was almost all fly lined sardines. Middle of the day got quiet, and in the afternoon, YFT and BFT boils were popping up. My friend and I simultaneously through in irons right in the middle of one. Probably within seconds he got bit. After one step down the rail, I was bit, and it was on. He landed a 20-25 lb YFT, and I fought mine for a good 15 mins. Line went straight out and it was believed to be a much larger BFT. Hook finally popped and that was that. My friends and I all went over limits so we donated to the boat for those who did not limit. Not a bad trip, but I don't think I'll be fishing that boat again. Kinda bush league with the nickel and diming they were doing.
well a least it was a good day fishing and I would have taken the fish home whole. better than working

Going out on the 095 out of oceanside weds. 1.5 day trip. Like I need fish. billed as off shore trip. Rick likes to get into big ones.

Reactions: ke1234567
We saw the O95 way down where we were....waaaaay south! The fleet is starting to migrate to island and kelp paddy hunting. The tuna has moved north, towards Catalina and further north. Tuna now are hit and miss out of SD. It's mainly YT, dodos and occasional YFT. And the tuna that are still down here are very finicky. The YT were just retarded as usual.

Reactions: IVhunter
We saw the O95 way down where we were....waaaaay south! The fleet is starting to migrate to island and kelp paddy hunting. The tuna has moved north, towards Catalina and further north. Tuna now are hit and miss out of SD. It's mainly YT, dodos and occasional YFT. And the tuna that are still down here are very finicky. The YT were just retarded as usual.
I am going to tell you that the very very large Tuna that was up north was not there this weekend. Friends and I missed the action by 1 day...we covered ...(wait for it, wait for it.....) 200 miles Sat and Sun, from Huntington to Cat to SCI all the way to Santa Barbara and no Tuna. Very very scarish singles or groups of 2 YT at 30' and empty paddies.
Some guys got some cows (over 200lbs) on Thursday and Friday so the fish moved away or went deep.
We found just a couple of water marks at 100' but it was bait.
The great thing about the trip was the company, the weather and running into a bunch of well-known folks out there. Sleeping in the boat at SCI with no winds or swell was pretty freaking cool except for the low tide morning flies..I hate them.

Reactions: ke1234567
I was two hours from heading for the landing and I just got a call, trip canceled. This one on the 095. This makes five trips in a row that have been canceled on short notice. WTF.

• Sad
Reactions: ilovesprig
Why did it get cancelled? Never had a trip get cancelled on me yet
First one canceled, six pack coast guard papers not in order, 2nd one, they changed it to a charter, not really sure about that, 3rd one lost generator, second time I had trip canceled for that reason, 4th trip I was the last one to sign up so I thought, but Mike at 22nd St. called and said the kid working the counter when I called booked me when trip was already full. Today only 5 guys signed up, need 12 to run. This is all in the last two months. Over the years there have been maybe three other trips cancelled. Two of those got cancelled while I was waiting at the dock down in
San Diego. 110 mile trip back home. Three other trips got cut short due to Mech. issues. On those they gave us free return trips.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu