25 shells at wister...?

QuackerSmacker

Jan 23, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Ok, admittedly I should have a better understanding of the rules and regs before I hunt a new spot... that being said, I'VE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING! I hunted wister this morning with a buddy who got the #3 draw. I've never hunted there before but I figured it was just like any other area I've hunted (no restrictions on # of shells) so I loaded up my blind bag with 2 boxes of Hevi-Metal and started hiking in. Not 20 minutes after the sun came up, Mr. Game Warden paid us a visit. Long story short, I ended up with a citation for having too many shells on my person. Does anybody know what that's going to cost??? Is it even worth arguing? I didn't even need the second box! Hahaha. Anyways, on a lighter note, I killed my first snow today so that was pretty cool and my 18 month old chocolate had his first goose retrieve (after 6 weeks of training at High on Kennels *shout out*). Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_6955.jpg
    IMG_6955.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 61
I agree, stupid rule, but it has been going on forever. Definitely not going to win that one in court. I usually double and triple check with my blind partners to make sure we are legal.

I have heard $100 ea. Additional shell, but who knows.

I'm sorry to say and I may get blasted but..... Stupid or not it's a law. I won't even carry more then 25 with me any place during duck season just to be safe. You are guilty and ignorance is no excuse. I have not hunted duck yet at any refuge and i still know the law. It was even covered in my hunter safety course So I'd bet fighting it would not help. I may be a sucker but if I break a law I step and and pay the fine an learn from it. You still have your gun and you were able to keep your shells and hunt the day. Could hve been worse.

Nice bird BTW

Pretty common one to get busted for. The only shame is that the fine will not fit the crime. This one should be about 25$ not the 200+$ I'm sure it will be.

GSPman said:
I won't even carry more then 25 with me any place during duck season just to be safe.

I would never go that far. Anywhere else I pack as much as I want. Although it is rarely more than 25. Haha

I am not obeying some stupid refuge rule off refuge.

im just sayin what i do to make sure to green jeans ever has a problem with me. during dove especialy with the kids i have open boxes of over 400 each box of 20g and 12G. I do agree its not the best rule and it sucks its different on the Refue but thats life. Ive heard you can ask the judge for less of a fine per shell. One guy i saw told me he paid 200 per shell over 25 so for a 2 box bust thats $5000. ouch.

I was checked in the same area for number of shells. And I know the guy. (I think you were in Y15B-3).......Unfortunately, this new game warden gives no 2nd chances or reasonable excuse.......A young friend got lost on Wister (his 1st time there) and was given a trespassing ticket. AND HE'S THE ONE THAT CALLED IN ON WHERE HE WAS!......He just received his ticket and are you ready.....$800.00!!!

Now for your citation......Historically, it's been per shell. Many times though when the number is high (like 25 shells), it is not......I can tell you it won't be cheap and every county seems to be different. If you have the time, fight it. It's possible you'll get a sympatric judge after you explain that it wasn't covered in the morning and it was your 1st trip to Wister.

PM me for more info on what you should do.

Good advise from Sprig. You might find a sympathetic judge. I'm in court every month and you would be surprised how lenient judges can be. Sometimes it's sickening.

Things like this remind me of a question I play in my mind at times, so I pose the question to this thread.... You are duck hunting and misidentify the duck species which puts you over. What do you do? Call F&G and and explain your honest mistake? Bring it to the check station and explain your story, hoping honesty holds weight? Stomp it in the mud?

well the right thing to do..... call and explain and turn your self in. HOWEVER..... I have read people that "turn them selves in" and wind up loosing there license guns fines ect..... so what would i do? Call and turn my self in id never do anything illegal..... ::) there is no way any one would or should admit on the interweb they would not fallow all applicable laws no matter the out come. Im sure some people may just toss it under a bush or something hoping no warden saw them shoot it. its an honest mistake that can get you into trouble no matter what you do.

That's a bummer. I have 3 mottos I go by.... 1) CYA 2) Assumption is the mother of all phuck ups. 3) if all else fails, phuck 'em if they can't take a joke! Usually keeps me out of trouble.

Go fight it like others have said.

For the record, not all NWR's with land in CA has a 25 shell rule. Cover your ass and know what you're doing.

One of my first hunts as an adult netted me a ticket, I failed to check all the regs and understand them and took somebody's word on something and paid the price. Harsh lesson.

GSPman said:
well the right thing to do..... call and explain and turn your self in. HOWEVER..... I have read people that "turn them selves in" and wind up loosing there license guns fines ect..... so what would i do? Call and turn my self in id never do anything illegal..... ::) there is no way any one would or should admit on the interweb they would not fallow all applicable laws no matter the out come. Im sure some people may just toss it under a bush or something hoping no warden saw them shoot it. its an honest mistake that can get you into trouble no matter what you do.

There's the right thing to do and then there's being stupid.......Personally, if I made an honest mistake (and I have), I'd keep it to myself........Varmints have to eat too and nothing goes to waste in the wild.......2 cents

SDHunter, I am curious as to which ones don't have a 25 shell limit. I thought, and maybe, I read it wrong, but all Type A waterfowl areas had the shell limitation.

ilovesprig said:
GSPman said:

There's the right thing to do and then there's being stupid.......Personally, if I made an honest mistake (and I have), I'd keep it to myself........Varmints have to eat too and nothing goes to waste in the wild.......2 cents

Nailed it

Gab909 said:
SDHunter, I am curious as to which ones don't have a 25 shell limit. I thought, and maybe, I read it wrong, but all Type A waterfowl areas had the shell limitation.
Not all NWR's are type A areas. Cibola and Imperial NWR's are examples of NWR's that are not type A areas. Not to mistake that with Imperial WA which is Wister.

This very confusing too many.......Wister is only a unit of the state Imperial Wildlife Area.....There is no restriction on the number of shells for dove hunting on the same unit......National Wildlife Refuges (NWR) are federal......They can have no restrictions to more restrictive......Cibola, if I'm not mistaken has a 10 shell limit in the goose hunting units.....There's also Type C wildlife area which historically have no restrictions......This kind of info and more can be brought before the judge. With this you have a chance that the citation could be dropped or at least having the hefty fine reduced......Do your homework before appearing......This appears to be an honest mistake.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu