25 shells at wister...?

MudStud said:
KID CREOLE said:
Why does it take more than 25 shells to kill 7 ducks?
Because some guys can only get out 2-3 times a year to hunt! I have dropped a limit with less than 25 shells, but it is usually in a season where I can get out 9-10 times. It is like shooting trap. When I did it a LOT, my record is 37 straight. But when I go out now, I am lucky to hit 50%. The old adage, "Practice Makes Perfect." We used to hunt doves and quail in Mexico a lot, back in the 1980s. I would get triples on doves all the time. But I was shooting 4-5 cases a year between hunting and clay bird shooting. I don't think I have shot a full case in the last 3 years.

Here's my 2 cents on this subject. Never shoot more than two shells at any duck, if you miss on the first two, don't shoot the third.

If you hit the bird on one of the first two shots, keep the third for a possible cripple.

This is just my take, but I don't see shooting clays being any help for shooting ducks, I have never seen a clay change speeds or direction. The first shot I take every year is at a goose.

Get your choice of shells dialed in with your choke and gun, get the birds in close and take your time on that first shot and make it count

I think he was speaking in more regards to trigger time. You still practice swing through and full shouldering motions on clays, even though they don't move directionally or at varying speeds like certain game birds.

I do like your take on not shooting all 3 if missing the first 2. That's the way I tend to shoot.

Another consideration to making good shots and cutting down on misses is understanding how birds fly. Teal are some of the slowest flying ducks, what makes them hard to shoot is how quickly they change direction, divers are the exact opposite, fast flying yet take a city block to make a U turn.

Understanding how a birds will react to gun fire or hunters can decrease your miss rate

Kid Creole, we have actually hunted together before. How is that for a head scratch-er! But I still believe that the more you hunt, the better you get at it. Clays and live birds are like shooting free throws in practice and shooting three pointers in a live game. The basics never change, but the execution is greatly different. But one thing I can tell you, I sure miss LEAD! Steel just doesn't have the knock down power!

OK mud remind me when and where, hopefully neither of us were injured.

You're right, I hunt way more than I should, close to 40 days a year, luckiest guy in America.

So back to ammo, the majority of geese I shoot are shot with 3" 1 1/8oz 2's, occasionally if I find some 3.5" shells at a smoking price I get'm.

You guys can kill ducks all day long with 3" 2s or 3s, get you shot down, helll go shoot euros with steel to work on your lead

KID CREOLE said:
helll go shoot euros with steel to work on your lead
KC, I think he was saying he misses lead, as in metal shot, for its knock-down power over steel.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu