25 shells at wister...?

I guess I am confused. I thought the 25 shot shell limit was for ALL of California, in pursuit of any game?! Is it strictly a REFUGE limit?

MudStud said:
I guess I am confused. I thought the 25 shot shell limit was for ALL of California, in pursuit of any game?! Is it strictly a REFUGE limit?

No it's just as stated above. When I'm hunting euros I take atleast 2 boxes with me

MudStud said:

There is no restriction on shot shells as far as I know on anything other than waterfowl on wildlife areas & national wildlife refuges ......Not all wildlife areas have the restriction and most NWR's do. NWR's make their own rules on the number of shells allowed......No shell restrictions on freelancing places like Saton Sea, Colrado River, etc.

About 12 years ago I hunted the sea and only shot a few birds then moved to Wister and hunted the after noon.......I had about forty shells stuffed in my jacket and when checked by a warden I explained how I started at the sea then moved to Wister.....he was cool and just made a note on my license In case I did it again....I knew the rules, just an honest mistake.

Irvine said:
About 12 years ago I hunted the sea and only shot a few birds then moved to Wister and hunted the after noon.......I had about forty shells stuffed in my jacket and when checked by a warden I explained how I started at the sea then moved to Wister.....he was cool and just made a note on my license In case I did it again....I knew the rules, just an honest mistake.

Brian,

That's a good game warden and his name was probably Zeke......He knew when someone had made an honest mistake. Nowadays they go for the throat....... ::)

Theory is that the limited shells in the field will keep the sky busters at bay. Cibola refuge has a 10 shell limit. Never posed a problem for me. I get the idea behind it. Not a big fan of folks taking 60+ yard shots at birds that are supposed to be decoy hunted.

Just saying!

Blast away...

KID CREOLE said:
Why does it take more than 25 shells to kill 7 ducks?

Stef,

Because, it's damn hard to kill ducks at 70 yds with steel........It never ceases to amaze me how far guys shoot......Many appear to just go with the "Golden BB" theory, I guess.

start the day with 25 shells....

at LST you let 3 go at some teal at first light..... none die because its to dark still.

next group comes in and you get 2 bull spoons.... one swims off and takes two more to water swat him.

that same group of teal comes back and zooms past you at 1000mph, three more shots and one bird falls.

a flight of snows comes over and you let 3 dead coyote T shot rounds go...nothing dies as they were closer to 200 yards up not 100

a group of cotton tops comes in and with your expert calling they circle once and come in feet down. you drop two with three shots

a ruddy swims by and you remember steeltown said they taste good so you water swat him...damn takes another one but he is mostly dead

that same group of teal comes back and with the wind blowing 20mph they make you look like a fool 3 shots and no birds

you saw a post on TOF that coot tastes good so you kill two just to try... remembering that you only have 4 rounds left you curse your self and now the pressure is on

A drake green head circles your blind.. you call with your best hand made tuned by joe pro team and seasoned by the wister mud... the drake comes back around and decides to make your blind his home. In a panic you shoot once and fan on the bird... get down on your gun ...........one last shot!!!!!! and with that shot you drop the bird......

25 shots and 7 birds... and two coots.

• Love
Reactions: diceman
Aeon said:

at LST you let 3 go at some teal at first light..... none die because its to dark still.

next group comes in and you get 2 bull spoons.... one swims off and takes two more to water swat him.

that same group of teal comes back and zooms past you at 1000mph, three more shots and one bird falls.

a flight of snows comes over and you let 3 dead coyote T shot rounds go...nothing dies as they were closer to 200 yards up not 100

a group of cotton tops comes in and with your expert calling they circle once and come in feet down. you drop two with three shots

a ruddy swims by and you remember steeltown said they taste good so you water swat him...damn takes another one but he is mostly dead

that same group of teal comes back and with the wind blowing 20mph they make you look like a fool 3 shots and no birds

you saw a post on TOF that coot tastes good so you kill two just to try... remembering that you only have 4 rounds left you curse your self and now the pressure is on

A drake green head circles your blind.. you call with your best hand made tuned by joe pro team and seasoned by the wister mud... the drake comes back around and decides to make your blind his home. In a panic you shoot once and fan on the bird... get down on your gun ...........one last shot!!!!!! and with that shot you drop the bird......

CLASSIC!!!!.............. :D

ps......Bill......You got way to much time on your hands........ ;D

• Haha
Reactions: diceman
You and Carl crack me up on duck hunting wister......this year Carl said we can shoot him if he goes to Wister

Aeon said:

Ha Ha ....Epic!!!

Bill you just got me in Truble ..... I'm in a meeting for work and started laughing! :-[

Love it! Although it took me 32 shells to come up with the same bag in my head....... Problem is I had to walk back to my truck for more shells! :eek:

KID CREOLE said:
Why does it take more than 25 shells to kill 7 ducks?
Because some guys can only get out 2-3 times a year to hunt! I have dropped a limit with less than 25 shells, but it is usually in a season where I can get out 9-10 times. It is like shooting trap. When I did it a LOT, my record is 37 straight. But when I go out now, I am lucky to hit 50%. The old adage, "Practice Makes Perfect." We used to hunt doves and quail in Mexico a lot, back in the 1980s. I would get triples on doves all the time. But I was shooting 4-5 cases a year between hunting and clay bird shooting. I don't think I have shot a full case in the last 3 years.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu