Best coyote riffle

CV-Young buck

Nov 30, 2013
Chula Vista ca
Hey guys, so I'm looking at buying a new coyote rifle and I was looking to get some of your guy's opinion's. I'll be at around the price range of 1,000 dollar's and I'm thinking 22-250 caliber but what would you recommend?

Remington 700 varmint in 22-250 is my favorite. I've shot probably 20 coyotes with it and only had one go more then 20 yards. I have a Leopold vx-2 on it. I've sighted it once and have shot 4 different types of bullets and all hit within a couple inches from each other at 100 yards

I like ARs. Had a few instances where a lot of dogs came in at once and I'm glad I had the capability to just pull the trigger and aim. We shoot a .223. Saying that I have to put two in about 1/5 of all my dogs

Ya i have a savage access 223 right now and its ok, but id rather have a higher caliber. I was also thinking about building an ar but Im just not sure how id like it for varmint.

CV-Young buck said:
Ya i have a savage access 223 right now and its ok, but id rather have a higher caliber. I was also thinking about building an ar but Im just not sure how id like it for varmint.

I feel like they were designed for it. And you could build it in whatever caliber

Sdbirds said:
I like ARs. Had a few instances where a lot of dogs came in at once and I'm glad I had the capability to just pull the trigger and aim. We shoot a .223. Saying that I have to put two in about 1/5 of all my dogs

That's my prob I'm lucky to hit the dog once.

I've shot many coyotes with my 22-250 but later built a 6.5Creedmoor on a Savage action. I would look at a .243 or similar that away you could deer hunt with it too.

OCOutdoors said:
I've shot many coyotes with my 22-250 but later built a 6.5Creedmoor on a Savage action. I would look at a .243 or similar that away you could deer hunt with it too.
I was thinking that, what about a .308? Isn't a .243 the smallest caliber you can hunt deer with? Does it have much knock down power for deer?

A bolt action 22-250 is an excellent coyote gun. The AR platform is nice because of the ability to get off multiple shots when you call in multiple dogs. I personally use an AR in .223 but honestly feel that .223 is a little on the light side if you want to anchor coyotes. I think the 6mm/.243 would be a better choice for making sure the dogs go down with the first shot. If you are looking to keep the fur then .223 with a quality hollow point is a good choice. Keep in mind that it may be tough to find an AR in one of the 6mm variations at the $1000 price point. With that being said the best coyote rifle is the rifle that you shoot the best!

CV-Young buck said:
OCOutdoors said:
I was thinking that, what about a .308? Isn't a .243 the smallest caliber you can hunt deer with? Does it have much knock down power for deer?

I've seen .243s drop deer. It's like anything else shot placement is key

I want to get an ar pretty bad but I don't know if I'm gonna like it more then my 22-250. One day I'll come back to this post and tell you what I like better lol

CV-Young buck said:
OCOutdoors said:

The .243 (6mm) is an awesome deer slayer and an incredible coyote killer. No recoil and you can watch the game fall in your scope. Or you could buy a .260 and really become a game magician! ;)

I'm a Savage guy myself for the simple fact that I like to tinker which means I could switch out the barrel to a different caliber in my garage, my Savage 6.5Creedmoor started life as a .243. Like most say, any caliber will kill a coyote and use the one that you feel most confident in. If you are not into reloading then I would stay with a caliber that would be easiest to get ammo for(if there is such a thing anymore) .243/.308, I wouldn't have a problem hunting deer in California with either caliber.
I'm not a big fan of the Tikka, never liked the way they fit when I shouldered them, same goes for the Savage Axis or Ruger American but I love the feel of my Savage 110 action and Ruger Predator. That being said I would shoulder as many as you can before you buy. I don't own an AR style rifle and never thought I would but I shouldered a buddies and now I'm interested in building one. IMO any brand rifle can shoot 1MOA @100yrds you just have to find the right combination as every rifle is different, just like no 2 bows will shoot the same or no 2 cars will dyno the same.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu