Best coyote riffle

I don't own very many rifle's but I like OC outdoors comments. makes sense to me. trying before buying. what feels right.
caliber is matter of preference. & lifestyle. I am interested in the .260. or 270. I own the 243 I really like it. But I may take 5 shots during the year just to make sure it still right on.

Bottom line - "The best coyote rifle is the one you have in your hands when a coyote shows up"!

OCOutdoors said:
I'm a Savage guy myself for the simple fact that I like to tinker which means I could switch out the barrel to a different caliber in my garage, my Savage 6.5Creedmoor started life as a .243. Like most say, any caliber will kill a coyote and use the one that you feel most confident in. If you are not into reloading then I would stay with a caliber that would be easiest to get ammo for(if there is such a thing anymore) .243/.308, I wouldn't have a problem hunting deer in California with either caliber.
I'm not a big fan of the Tikka, never liked the way they fit when I shouldered them, same goes for the Savage Axis or Ruger American but I love the feel of my Savage 110 action and Ruger Predator. That being said I would shoulder as many as you can before you buy. I don't own an AR style rifle and never thought I would but I shouldered a buddies and now I'm interested in building one. IMO any brand rifle can shoot 1MOA @100yrds you just have to find the right combination as every rifle is different, just like no 2 bows will shoot the same or no 2 cars will dyno the same.
Ya i have a savage axis right now, and I'm not the biggest fan anymore. Im with ya on the tikka i didn't like the way it felt when i shouldered it! Thats why I'm leaning towards the 700 cause its the most comfortable that iv shouldered thus far.

I really liked my .204 as well. My buddy picked up the new .17wsm and is loving it. He hasn't had an exit wound yet and it's anchored everything out to 150 yards. He keeps all of his non-mangy pelts so the no exit wound is a big deal for him. He's also used it on a few fox and bobcats, all of the pelts are pristine.

.510 DTC or .408 Cheytac now that lead is banned from the state its the only way to get a good clean kill .......

No such thing as best anything. I like all the little guns like 204r and my 6mm WOA. .223/5.56 is amazing effective and just requires the right bullet and loading to make lots of stuff DRT

Drewski2324 said:
I wouldn't trade my Remington 700 in .223 for anything short of a Lapua! It is a heavy barrel so its not so practical for long hikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dude I shoot a 760 game master in 270. I drag that tank everywhere. Just another piece of gear that needs to go

Years ago, my brother bought a Ruger M77 MkII Varmint (heavy barrel, laminated stock, 2-stage trigger). It rarely gets used, because it's a BEAST of a heavy rifle.

Later, he bought a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308, and it is nothing short of amazingly accurate.

I shot my first 2 coyotes with a Marlin .22 WMR, and both ran off to die in the thick brush, and my brothers wouldn't stop giving me a hard time, so I started carrying my .30-06 (Ruger M77 MkII). My next coyote was shot with this at 30 yards. It was ugly. The exit wound was probably 6 inches in diameter.

A short time later, I bought a H&R Handi-Rifle (single shot) in .223. Not having the follow-up shot really cramped my style. I once perforated a coyote's femoral artery and blew its balls off (literally! Missed a little low) with that rifle, then my buddy rolled him with a 270-yard running shot with his .270. My brother borrowed that rifle, and shot a double with it. He called, one came in, shot it, and another came in to check out its buddy, and got shot too. Both anchored, and died within a few yards of each other.

This brother later purchased a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless left-handed rifle in .223. With his factory rifle, shooting factory ammo (probably Hornady), he had it sighted in and making tiny groups at 200 yards in about 30 minutes. The next time he shot it, he smashed a clay pigeon at 200 yards, on the first shot, while resting it on the back of a folding chair. These guns flat out shoot, and aren't picky about what you feed them.

I have seen video of coyotes running off after being hit with a .300 Win Mag. Shot placement is everything.

I have since upgraded my single shot to an AR-15. Upper is from White Oak Armament, stainless steel free-floated fluted 1:8 twist heavy BEAST, but I LIKE it! I haven't hit anything with it yet, but that's mostly because I've been focusing on other hunting pursuits. Soon...very soon...

.223 is plenty of gun for coyotes, especially if you place your shots carefully. In the coming years, reloading is going to be the only way we're able to hunt coyotes affordably, and the biggest advantage of .223 is that you can pick up spent cases off the ground (I picked up at least 100 yesterday afternoon, in a single shooting site). When was the last time you found a .22-250 case laying around? .260 Rem? .243? .25-06? .270? I've found all of these except for the .260, but usually one at a time. .223 uses far less powder (about 12 cents worth, as opposed to 25 cents). Unleaded projectiles are where it's going to hurt, but we do need to start planning for this (abhorrent) reality.

I think a .223 in a Tikka or Ruger American or AR platform will be the way to go.

I started out with a .222 bolt action, but went to an AR in .223 because of the ability for a quick second shot in case of a bad hit on the first round or multiple targets. I shoot a handloaded Hornady 53-grain V-max bullet. If you don't handload, the factory 53-grain Superformance rounds are awesome. The AR platform in .223 is an sweet varmint-getter. I will never go back to a bolt gun for varmints. If you don't care about a quick follow-up shot, go with a good bolt gun in 22-250. A Tikka is the best choice (my brother has one and it is a SWEET rifle), followed by Savage and the Remington 700. Call John at Fine Firearms and talk with him.

Rem 700 in 22-250. Last time I put it on paper it printed .339 at 100. Pretty hard to beet that.
When I get my AR to print in the .500 range I'll start using it. Until then the 700 will be my go to rig.

Sdbirds said:
CV-Young buck said:
Ya i have a savage access 223 right now and its ok, but id rather have a higher caliber. I was also thinking about building an ar but Im just not sure how id like it for varmint.

I feel like they were designed for it. And you could build it in whatever caliber

Depends on what you consider varmint...

longbowhunter2 said:
El Matavenados

I hit the like button. 8)

Thanks!

Correction regarding .223 case pickups: I counted what I picked up the other day, and it was actually 230 usable cases. I went out yesterday to do some quail hunting, but the road was closed, so I decided to head over to a shooting area to pick up brass instead. Picked up another 50. Nearly 300 cases in one week (not to mention all the .308, 9mm, .45, .40, 38 special, 5.7x28, 7.62x39, etc.) is a pretty good haul, and only cost me the gas to get there and the muscle aches from picking it up off the ground.

Someone made a good point about defining "varmint". OP did so by starting out the thread by stating that He's looking for a new coyote rifle. Lungpopper's preference is based on the rifle's ability to print very small groups- certainly quite important when considering a broader definition of varmint, to include squirrels and prairie dogs past 200. However, unless you're attempting head shots from a solid rest on coyotes at 500+, a rifle that can put 5 rounds under an inch at 100 yards is more than accurate enough for coyote hunting. But each person needs carefully consider their intended purpose for the rifle before making the purchase.

So I still think that a low-recoil round (.223) and platform (AR) combination that is accurate, and allows for quick follow-up shots is a strong option for coyote hunting. A Tikka in .223 would also be a strong option, as would the Ruger American (and you can't beat the price on the American!). If you want something that hits harder than a .223, I would try .243. It's flat-shooting, versatile, and ammo is readily available.

Now, if making squirrels fly is your thing (and who doesn't like flying squirrels???), the .22-250 is super cool. I met a guy shooting one, and he showed me the hole where he shot a squirrel (blood evidence and all), and we paced off the distance to the remains- I think it was 11 yards!

El Mata,

I think you gave up too soon on your handi-rifle. I have one with a varmint barrel and the thing is scary accurate. When I sighted it in the first time I got po'd when there was one hold and a crease at 100 yrds. When I went to the target I saw all three went in the same hole and the fourth creased the hole.

Same thing at 500 yrds.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu