Big buck down!!!!

3fa6d7b0bd12797474e8317f8a964d16.jpg
here it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do add in the inside spread to the subtotal then subtract the column 3 correct?

Beautiful buck.....Congrats.

ps.....143 seems high too me with other bucks I've seen in the 140" class.

Thanks!

Hmm I'm not sure what I could have done wrong? I followed the steps on Boone and Crocket to the T..

Not trying to hijack your fine buck or thread, but here's a 148" San Diego buck just for comparison....8x4, great mass, eye guards., and 22" wide.

Maybe Ed F. will chime in......I think he measures.

.josh kettl giant deer.jpg

Last edited:
That is a very nice buck! But it does seem the tines aren't nearly as long as the tines on my buck (not trying to down size that great deer). Plus if he is scored as a typical then the other "extras" wouldnt count, correct? This was my first time ever even attempting to score a buck. But I do believe I did everything correct (which I very well could have done something wrong).

I just went back out and re-measured, every thing was within 1/8 inch (give or take) of the original measurements I did.
1d82fc45c8607fb68bd709cdf00582a7.jpg
in the pic it's a little hard to tell but it is on the inside 19 1/2 or 19 4/8.
The G2 also seemed to be right on, I measured from the same spot as one of the "how to videos" from Eastmans did.
7bb7eb5af3e2e3e32010e7e2a6dbe9f4.jpg

I was off 1/8" on the H1 for the left antler it was 4 5/8" not 4 6/8"
0bcb07cf7d84b90f7b5c403f7c05786c.jpg

The H2's were on the money
ea356f355ef3fd5f8bae6e45e7ddb94f.jpg

The H3's were off by 1/8" :/
95b102f7bd34927e5ef673074cbdc071.jpg

H4 on the left was 1/8 short but the right was good.
5a0303b2e2b5f01333605202080e4f85.jpg

The main beam length was hard to get a pic of so you will have to trust me on that..

This buck will be officially scored for a big buck contest I'm in, so I guess we will see what the official scores it!

Garrett I think you are on. Believe me. Once you shoot a good one for the area you will always care about the score.

Well Darryl, I'm going to continue to hunt hard and hopefully put a bigger buck down soon! You and John need to make a trip up here this year to do some long range shooting and maybe some pig hunting or something!

Totally agree......To different style bucks......And I don't know $hit about scoring a deer......lol

You can really get a perspective on how nice he is compared to the other buck you have there......Congrats again.

Reactions: TaftHunter
That is a very nice buck! But it does seem the tines aren't nearly as long as the tines on my buck (not trying to down size that great deer). Plus if he is scored as a typical then the other "extras" wouldnt count, correct? This was my first time ever even attempting to score a buck. But I do believe I did everything correct (which I very well could have done something wrong).

The tines on my buck were actually very similar in length to that buck. The reason mine scored 148 is because of non-typical deductions. 143 does seem a little big though because my buck from 09 was 22.5" wide with very similar mass and G2 length. That one only scored in the high 120's (I believe 129). Either way... it's a trophy and a buck to be proud of. Congrats!

The tines on my buck were actually very similar in length to that buck. The reason mine scored 148 is because of non-typical deductions. 143 does seem a little big though because my buck from 09 was 22.5" wide with very similar mass and G2 length. That one only scored in the high 120's (I believe 129). Either way... it's a trophy and a buck to be proud of. Congrats!

I'm just not sure what I am doing wrong then, I am following step by step on everything I've read and watched on how to score a buck using B&C... I've used the website calculator , I've done it by hand. I've posted pictures of a few of the measurements I've taken. If this buck doesn't score in the 140's by an official scorer then I blaming my tape measure for being broken!! I'm not making up numbers here lol
Thanks! I am very proud of him, the hard work finally paid off!

Reactions: Bonejour
What a bruiser! Congrats man. Way to keep you cool with a big buck in the crosshairs and make it happen!

What a bruiser! Congrats man. Way to keep you cool with a big buck in the crosshairs and make it happen!

Thank you! It's funny out of the 11 deer I've killed, I think I was more calm on this shot then any other ones!
You are close to Taft, I'm hosting a "long range shoot" out here in November you are welcomed to come out and shoot and check out my buck!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu