Count down to dove season!

Jon,

Welcome to SCH......Yes, the Imperial Valley/Salton Sea areas are still huntable.....Unless of course, it's posted.

Here's a map of the DFW Heritage Upland Game Bird Fields.......Remember, STEEL SHOT IS REQUIRED on these areas, Wister, & Finney-Ramer.

Attachments

• Final 2015-16 UPLAND GAME FIELDS COLOR.pdf
    452 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Camp?

That's crazy.....hot, humid and lots of bugs. Rooms are cheap out there get a friend and split the cost 40-55 a night in AC & a shower!

Now second season camping is good and the truck stops have a shower for $10

Is anyone planning to camp out the night before?
We did it a few years ago at a popular feed lot. When guys started showing up to there spot at 2 and 3 am they were pissed. Their reactions were great. I mean if you are gonna go to bed at 10 and get up at 2 might as well just sleep where your going to hunt. It wont kill you.

Camp?

That's crazy.....hot, humid and lots of bugs. Rooms are cheap out there get a friend and split the cost 40-55 a night in AC & a shower!

Now second season camping is good and the truck stops have a shower for $10

Plus 1......Although, did it a number of times when I was younger.......:cold_sweat:

We camped at the spa one year. Showers pool Ac in the trailer. It sucked it was so freaking hot. A buddy from here slept with his dog in the back of his truck for a weekend while we were in a hotel. I felt bad for him. We get a hotel. The dog is happy we are happy we get a pool and a place to take a nap in the middle of the day. 50-100 a night is not that much especially if split.

I will be able to make it this year again I don't have to move. I hope to meet some more of you guys. Especially noobs.

Camping down there builds character.. lol. Once I got a heat rash (110+ during the day, high 90s at night), fed an army of mosquitoes, and barely slept on top of it all. But hey, it's dove opener! Yeah I might as well just drive down at dark-thirty instead of doing that or the Calipat Inn.

One time we thought we would be smart & bring the RV.....it was 116 that year 107 at night. Inside the RV it was 85 and still to hot......had to turn the fans on and sweat all night.

This year I'm gonna skip the opening morning and hit it in the afternoon then Friday & leave after Saturday's morning shoot.

One time we thought we would be smart & bring the RV.....it was 116 that year 107 at night. Inside the RV it was 85 and still to hot......had to turn the fans on and sweat all night.

This year I'm gonna skip the opening morning and hit it in the afternoon then Friday & leave after Saturday's morning shoot.

agreed on skipping the first morning we will be hitting the valley about 3pm on the first and staying till sunday. the opening morning has been pretty crazy as of late.

21st consecutive opener with my dad... When I was a kid he took me out of school for the opener. Haven't missed one since.

An old article about the1995 dove opener......I think it was one of Ed's 1st feature pieces for the San Diego Union.....Wow!....21 years ago!

. IMG_20150406_0005.jpg IMG_20150406_0006.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150406_0005.jpg
    IMG_20150406_0005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
agreed on skipping the first morning we will be hitting the valley about 3pm on the first and staying till sunday. the opening morning has been pretty crazy as of late.

The opener when on a week day is about a 1/3-1/2 the hunters compared to a weekend opener. I put money on it Friday-Sunday will be packed

Cool article 1995 that was my 6th year hunting the IV lots of small farmers back then not so much now

Jon welcome to the site, plenty of birds in that area, suggest you do some scouting. check out the upland game fields, lots of hunters but a fun shoot in those areas. i personally stay clear and find my own honey holes. scouting to me is very relaxing.

dove 1.jpg dove 2.jpg dove 3.jpg dove 4.jpg dove 5.jpg dove 6.jpg dove 1.jpg dove 2.jpg dove 3.jpg dove 4.jpg dove 5.jpg dove 6.jpg dove 1.jpg dove 2.jpg dove 3.jpg dove 4.jpg Passed by the dove feeding grounds and reminded me of you dove hunters, took a few pics to get you pumped up for the opener. they are nice and fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2dogs1name
Just a FYI when you post photos there is a option to post the thumbnail size or the full size in your post.... :)

Just a FYI when you post photos there is a option to post the thumbnail size or the full size in your post.... :)

thanks, I hate thumbnail size. I will figure it out next time around.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu