D-16 First Buck, now gone

Wow! that really stinks and will no doubt be some what expensive, how about this one, dove opener two guys two limits of doves get checked by one warden, all good he moves on to the next hunter I head out to the bush to take a leak my partner decides to clean the doves, in my absence another warden pulls up (minutes apart) and sites him for not leaving a wing on the dove, with the other warden still in sight he explains ,that warden right there checking those other hunters just checked these doves, response doesn't matter you cant remove the wing till you get home. The fine was $100 per dove $1,300.00 total. im not sure if that's a rookie mistake or an unfair call by the warden but either way everyone hunting should read the hunting Reg's over and over each year, even an honest mistake like yours (and ours )can be costly. Hope things work out for you keep us posted on this one.

Thanks CaptJGray. Tejon was more that I ever thought. Sow is at the butcher in Hemet. Looks like quite a bit of sausage.

I will post the story when I get some xtra time.

I am still deciding what I will do come January. If the judge is nice enough to let me keep my liscense I have seen great buck opportunities on my cams for next year.

This years buck may be gone and yeah i made a rookie mistake but gotta look forward to next years buck. This guy is on my radar...(if i have my liscense)

Attachments

• image.jpg_thumb.png
    image.jpg_thumb.png
    792.5 KB · Views: 191
Humble Hunter said:
Wow! that really stinks and will no doubt be some what expensive, how about this one, dove opener two guys two limits of doves get checked by one warden, all good he moves on to the next hunter I head out to the bush to take a leak my partner decides to clean the doves, in my absence another warden pulls up (minutes apart) and sites him for not leaving a wing on the dove, with the other warden still in sight he explains ,that warden right there checking those other hunters just checked these doves, response doesn't matter you cant remove the wing till you get home. The fine was $100 per dove $1,300.00 total. im not sure if that's a rookie mistake or an unfair call by the warden but either way everyone hunting should read the hunting Reg's over and over each year, even an honest mistake like yours (and ours )can be costly. Hope things work out for you keep us posted on this one.

I would have been looking around for the Candid Camera crew when this was going down.... That is the epitome of being screwed over.

About 2 weeks before my court date in January I got a notice from the Warden that he decided to move the date to the end of MArch!!! (day before Spring turkey opener!!!)

I just want this shit over with

The real bummer will be when you see the fine amount $$$$$$$$$$, sorry you started out that way but things can only get better and they will.

Cgruwell05 said:
Do you have any idea what that find will be?? I have been wondering and really have no idea...

A lot. I heard up to thousands of dollars. But I think they let you pay in payments

TaftHunter said:
Cgruwell05 said:
Do you have any idea what that find will be?? I have been wondering and really have no idea...

A lot. I heard up to thousands of dollars. But I think they let you pay in payments

This why you fight it and tell your side of the story......And yes, no deer hunting for one year.

Not to jack the thread.. but can CDFW confiscate a firearm for this sort of thing until dues are paid? I've heard of wardens doing it for dive gear in the case of poaching abalones and bugs but was wondering about land hunting. If so I wonder about possible 2nd amendment challenges. Sorry just thinking off top of my head.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Not to jack the thread.. but can CDFW confiscate a firearm for this sort of thing until dues are paid? I've heard of wardens doing it for dive gear in the case of poaching abalones and bugs but was wondering about land hunting. If so I wonder about possible 2nd amendment challenges. Sorry just thinking off top of my head.

Yes, they can........And they do......... A friend was falsely accused of baiting and they kept his gun until the 364th day. Then dropped the charges.

ilovesprig said:
SurfNHuntSD said:

Yes, they can........And they do......... A friend was falsely accused of baiting and they kept his gun until the 364th day. Then dropped the charges.
Yikes that sucks. If only CDFW could somehow focus their efforts more wisely on the deliberate violators. When pier fishing I used to see weasels all the time throwing tiny bass into their coolers or over limiting. Or the guy I saw shooting bandtails in October.

In defense of game wardens, they can't be everywhere. Hence the advent of CalTip......What is more troublesome to me is the appearance of going out of their way or the less than some leniency given to folks that make a honest mistake......Most of these people are new to hunting and are young......The fines for some of the offenses are absurd.

We as a community (hunters & fisherman) have been dropping in numbers for a number of years. Making an honest mistake and getting whacked for a $1,000.00 is a great way of having people give up on this heritage.

Please, please, read the regulations YEARLY (or ask questions).......Also read the county your hunting in's regs as well.....They can all be different.

Sprig, does DFW ever do outreach or meet & greet at local events? For example it would be fitting for DFW to have a booth at STTU and other season-opening gatherings. "10 most common errors during (fill in the blank) season" would be a great little talk that I'd think would be valuable. Just wondering.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu