D-16 First Buck, now gone

Bonejour said:
Sprig, does DFW ever do outreach or meet & greet at local events? For example it would be fitting for DFW to have a booth at STTU and other season-opening gatherings. "10 most common errors during (fill in the blank) season" would be a great little talk that I'd think would be valuable. Just wondering.

Don,

They have a booth at the STTU and they normally have a question & answers session.

Attachments

• turkey tune-up 2012 008.JPG
    turkey tune-up 2012 008.JPG
    662.4 KB · Views: 34
I know the feeling of loosing your 1st buck. Next time sharpen a dry stick & burn the point, use the burned charcoal to fill out your tag or keep a check list of mandatory items you need to have & check it before going out.
that's a bummer man, Still not as bad as me finding my first deer ever from bow season tucked under a bush after gun season with Tecate beer cans & no head...
:'(

This did however drive me to make %100 accurate shot placement or dont take the shot at all, I now study my forest with great passion & learned the lay of the land intimately so that I will never loose a deer again & use this knowledge to my advantage to head off a deer with the fastest path possible.

Next time just call me my dogs will find him......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 307
All good points guys. Happened to talk to the Warden at the Tune Up this weekend and he did say that for some reason if the judge drops the charges or I am found not guilty, then I am inclined to get the rack back! Cant get too excited but fingers crossed

Holy ****! Glad you got redemption with a pig hunt, but this sort of situation infuriates me. Honest mistake... I've done the same thing with lobsters. Exhausted after a long dive, got back to the truck, put the lobsters in the cooler and started taking my gear off. Warden shows up, checks my gear, sees my card unfilled and...... hands me a pen!.... simple as that. I mean, I could even see a warden giving you a ticket (still a bummer) but confiscating the animal?! When you have a legal tag right there? What's the point? Evidence my ass... that's wanton waste in my opinion. Dude... really sorry for you, that's a terrible thing to happen to your first buck. I better go sew a pen into the sleeve of my hunting jacket -- these guys are ruthless.

not guilty is how you should go, and explain what happened. just hope the judge is not a tree hugger look the judge up if you know his/her name and check the persons cases that should give you an idea if you have a chance or not.

MJB said:
Next time just call me my dogs will find him......

Wow..... this would have been very helpful by the third day of tracking!!!!!!! I love this website and the people on here seem to be so helpful and real stand up people

Cgruwell buddy good luck in march and i know how this sounds but make sure you clean up and dress for success, unfortunately presentation and self image can also help during your court battle!!! Especially if you have never been a part of law and show that this is just an honest mistake

best of luck man seriously..... and you do deserve that rack, and those back straps, and the tenderloin, and the jerky....sorry got a little side tracked :)

Don't wait three days I like 3-6 hours or next day.......the longer you wait the harder it is to track.....nothing wrong with letting the dogs find your kill

MJB said:
Don't wait three days I like 3-6 hours or next day.......the longer you wait the harder it is to track.....nothing wrong with letting the dogs find your kill

oh no no no deer shot at 9:30 on opening day (we knew him well) tracked deer till supplies run out, left area around 4pm returned next day at 6:30am tracked all day and nothing to show for it.... last blood was at the top of a mountain 150-200 yards from impact we think he fell into a hole off the cliff into giant boulders or something but he was never recovered maybe dogs would have helped....

my goal is to get a lab next year and turn him into a tracker and bird dog.. can't wait !!!

Hey guys, just an update. My court date is Monday the 23rd. Still trying decipher how it will go down as I have never been to court. Being a misdemeanor, do you think the warden will be present?

Wish me luck! ???

Well showed up to court this morning and checked in with the clerk. They had "No Record" of anything being filed against me. I got paperwork from her that states he hasn't filed the charges! To double check myself I checked with the District Attorneys Office and they confirmed also. They both said that the Warden still can file it however.
After talking with my cousin, who is a lawyer, he said that is highly unlikely that the Warden will file the charges especially since I showed up on my court date and nothing was submitted. He said that if the Warden does file the charges at a later date it will be much easier to fight my case then.

It is such a relief although I am not fully out of the woods yet. :)

Now I need to find out how long the Warden really has to file it until I am fully good to go, I am guessing it is a year or two.

P.S. I didn't realize the court house is the same building for your standard traffic violation. (Minor Offenses)

Chad......Very good.....Got your e-mail.....And after looking at your citation. I think I know why he has failed to file.....This thread will probably save/inform many new hunters to know the laws and try to follow them to the "T".

PM sent.

ps......He has 1 year, if I'm not mistaken.

That's great news. Nice that the warden let you off... Hope it stays that way.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu