Do I Need A 4x4

Baldkrash said:
This what i ended up with.
02 4x4 Tundra:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats............I've owned one Toyota ('74 LandCruiser)...........And it was bullet proof............. ;)

Baldkrash said:
Now I just need to get it dirty ;)

Just a little add on here... if you're looking for good off road tires, I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Chevy. They aren't too pricey and have aggressive treads (not very loud on the road either).

8SteelTown said:
Baldkrash said:

Just a little add on here... if you're looking for good off road tires, I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Chevy. They aren't too pricey and have aggressive treads (not very loud on the road either).
Steel, are those considered off road or all terrain?

Sent via Tapatalk

For my money, it's the Toyo Open Country M/T's.........I think the best tires, I've ever owned........2nd set on the 4x4 van.......No flats, no issues......Had the A/T's on the Ranger.......Same toughness, but quieter...... 2 cents.

Attachments

• grasslands 1-8-10 011.JPG
    grasslands 1-8-10 011.JPG
    594.6 KB · Views: 19
Bonejour said:
8SteelTown said:
Baldkrash said:

Steel, are those considered off road or all terrain?

Sent via Tapatalk
They are AT's
TomAto TomOto. Same thing IMO. AT is all terrain. MT is mud terrain. ST is street terrain. If your rig is SOLELY for off road use, look into MT's. If it's a daily driver as well, go AT's to reduce wear and road noise. All I know I spent about $150 less than the Toyo's (which was my first pick).

Nice truck!

For Tires I like the Toyo open country MT....but I switched to the Goodyear MTS w/Kevlar and really like the grip wet or dry and the sidewall w/Kevlar gives me confidence that I won't get a puncher from an unforeseen rock.
But If your not off road much go with the AT and not the MT

I also recommend a 20' tow chain, tow strap, fire extinguisher and a shovel, I also have a small compressed air canister with a tire fill attachment........even if you don't need it someone on the trail may.

MJB said:
Nice truck!

For Tires I like the Toyo open country MT....but I switched to the Goodyear MTS w/Kevlar and really like the grip wet or dry and the sidewall w/Kevlar gives me confidence that I won't get a puncher from an unforeseen rock.
But If your not off road much go with the AT and not the MT

I also recommend a 20' tow chain, tow strap, fire extinguisher and a shovel, I also have a small compressed air canister with a tire fill attachment........even if you don't need it someone on the trail may.

don't forget the all purpose come along ( rachet )

Small, aggressive tires on a heavy rig will bury quickly. More aggressive tread on bigger tires on a lighter vehicles works better. For what most of us do, and the size of tires we run, ATs, are the way to go. Buy mileage warranteed tires, hang on to the warranty, and get them prorated when they wear out.

Smallish ATs on my 4runner, it went everywhere with 20psi. Kevlar MTs, I had to air down to flat to get around in the soft stuff, and then I drug all over everything.

My big heavy diesel dodge ran 39" aggressive milsurp tires and worked well.

Burnt down chaparral bush stubs will go right through a 10 ply Kevlar sidewall and ruin it...rocks not as readily.

Jumper cables too...and lots of water, for you and your rig.

Handgun said:
Small, aggressive tires on a heavy rig will bury quickly. More aggressive tread on bigger tires on a lighter vehicles works better. For what most of us do, and the size of tires we run, ATs, are the way to go. Buy mileage warranteed tires, hang on to the warranty, and get them prorated when they wear out.

Smallish ATs on my 4runner, it went everywhere with 20psi. Kevlar MTs, I had to air down to flat to get around in the soft stuff, and then I drug all over everything.

My big heavy diesel dodge ran 39" aggressive milsurp tires and worked well.

Burnt down chaparral bush stubs will go right through a 10 ply Kevlar sidewall and ruin it...rocks not as readily.

Jumper cables too...and lots of water, for you and your rig.

I carry a gallon or two for local runs, 2 (5) gallon military style for further in. but I donated them to a good cause need to replace them. normal bug out stuff , first aid. and a good floor jack or farm jack
and always carry my small shovel hahahaha. don't like getting stuck.

Few more things I carry in both my 4x4's.........Bag of basic tools (screw drivers, socket set, small & large crescent wrench, & a set of open end wrench's), duct tape, and a roll of baling wire (I've held tie rods together with it)......Also in that bag are a hand held saw and a large bladed knife.

I just went and looked at the bag (actually the tool bag is in a hard plastic container)......Couple more things that are in there. Extra flash light, matches/lighter, Fix-a- Flat canister, tire plug kit (a good one), zip ties, water bottles, small ax, small crowbar, nylon rope, sm. blanket, gloves, GI shovel, nails, and hammer.

Hell, this isn't a bag........It's a survival kit.........lol

MJB said:
Nice truck!
Yup. Got 'em, and a come-along hand winch.

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu