Own a 6.5crd. Should I consider a 7MM?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
The Stagg I took on my recent trip was taken with a 7MM Browning. The shot could not have been more perfect. One shot and the Stagg dropped dead. I was extremely content with not having to put more than one bullet on the Stagg. The guide said that was very rare unless it was a perfect shot. He said usually takes 2 or 3 shots to finish the job because the deer are so big.

When I told the guide that I thought about bringing my 6.5 he said I should be glad I didn't. That got me thinking.

I purchased the Tika 6.5 to do local hunts. The bucks that I have seen in the D zones are most definitely on the smaller side of the spectrum except for a couple of 3x3s I spotted a couple of years ago. I practice enough up to 700 yards. I would not shoot at a buck from 700 yards of course, but if I can hit the target at 700 while I practice, the smaller targets at 300 and 200 distances even under pressure should be easier to hit.

With the challenges of finding a decent-sized Buck in the D zones, I have been tempted to take a shot at a buck from over 300+ yards when I spot a good one. A distance I am ok with but I prefer the under 300 yards for now. It also depends on the terrain.

With that said. Should I consider owning a 7MM as well? or owning a 6.5Crd and a 7MM is almost redundant?

Thanks.

I say the more guns the better. I had a 6.5CM built and thought I'd use that for most of my riffle hunting but after shooting it figured I'd build something else and settled on a 7LRM and let me tell you there is a world of difference between the 6.5 and the 7mm. I am comfortably shooting the 7LRM out to 800-1000yrds.

Reactions: Wildgame
For deer sized game I would say your good to go with the creed but anything bigger I would go 7mag and I love my 7mags.

Reactions: Wildgame and NBK
At this point the answer is pretty clear.
I don't want to be called gay.
So, I started looking at the Browning XBolt Composite. Of course the website does not mention if it is available on Left Handed.
Either a browning or another Tika.
I would prefer the heavier of the 2.
My Tika t3x lite on 6.5 is nice to carry but it is also pretty jumpy because is light.

Reactions: TRICER
The 7 Rem mag in my opinion is one of the premier cartridges for the west. You can hunt any species in the west in the lower 48, it maybe overgunned in some situations but never undergunned. It is my go to gun. I have a 25-06 that I like for lighter game and use but it is a bit more useful for light framed animals. Go with the 7mag and you will never have any regrets in this part of the world.

Reactions: NBK
I just wanna see dead mammals.. Preferably Large mammals..Caliber Smaliber...just kill um and post um..I mean fluff is cool and all ..but just put pics of dead shit up and Let's roll..dead mammal pics are cool..

Reactions: 180ls1
At this point the answer is pretty clear.
I don't want to be called gay.
So, I started looking at the Browning XBolt Composite. Of course the website does not mention if it is available on Left Handed.
Either a browning or another Tika.
I would prefer the heavier of the 2.
My Tika t3x lite on 6.5 is nice to carry but it is also pretty jumpy because is light.
I am getting an X-BOLT wood stock in 30-06 from browning. They are great guns.

Reactions: Wildgame
Upgraded recently and landed on Brownings after looking at them all. One thing I really liked is they generally have fast twist rates which is great for copper and long bullets. My “twins” also make switching from my in state gun to oos easy. Maybe just grab an “identical” browning 7mm? IMG_0971.jpeg

Sitting to close to something you have on the left there for to many years whispering.."you gonna shoot or f**k?" has left me half deaf in my left ear ..I back way up now...Way up ....when they pull those out now ...

Sitting to close to something you have on the left there for to many years whispering.."you gonna shoot or f**k?" has left me half deaf in my left ear ..I back way up now...Way up ....when they pull those out now ...

So, I go to sight Stefanie's new 6.5...It had one those things on the end too...Mind you, my very 1st job at 14 years of age was a trap boy...Work there till I graduated high school...I've always been blessed with great hearing...I let the 1st one fly and yelled...WTF!!!...I couldn't hear and had an instant headache!...No thanks and I don't give a $hit how much it recoils.... o_O

ps...Put the plain thread protector in it...Nice.....:blush:

001.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu