Own a 6.5crd. Should I consider a 7MM?

The Stagg I took on my recent trip was taken with a 7MM Browning. The shot could not have been more perfect. One shot and the Stagg dropped dead. I was extremely content with not having to put more than one bullet on the Stagg. The guide said that was very rare unless it was a perfect shot. He said usually takes 2 or 3 shots to finish the job because the deer are so big.

When I told the guide that I thought about bringing my 6.5 he said I should be glad I didn't. That got me thinking.

I purchased the Tika 6.5 to do local hunts. The bucks that I have seen in the D zones are most definitely on the smaller side of the spectrum except for a couple of 3x3s I spotted a couple of years ago. I practice enough up to 700 yards. I would not shoot at a buck from 700 yards of course, but if I can hit the target at 700 while I practice, the smaller targets at 300 and 200 distances even under pressure should be easier to hit.

With the challenges of finding a decent-sized Buck in the D zones, I have been tempted to take a shot at a buck from over 300+ yards when I spot a good one. A distance I am ok with but I prefer the under 300 yards for now. It also depends on the terrain.

With that said. Should I consider owning a 7MM as well? or owning a 6.5Crd and a 7MM is almost redundant?

Thanks.
My .30 06 has killed 5 deer. All with a 150 grain Barnes TTSX Boat Tail. My second rifle is a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag. If I could only have one then it is my .30 06. I passed on a 2x2 on D16 last season when I had my 7mm. I am sure it will drop any deer. I am using the same type of round as my .30 06. So, 150 grain Barnes TTSX Boat Tail. Both rifles are set up with Leupold Scopes. Tikka is stainless steel with the fluted barrel. I replaced the butt pad with a limbsaver air cell. No muzzle brake necessary.

John

Reactions: TRICER
My .30 06 has killed 5 deer. All with a 150 grain Barnes TTSX Boat Tail. My second rifle is a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag. If I could only have one then it is my .30 06. I passed on a 2x2 on D16 last season when I had my 7mm. I am sure it will drop any deer. I am using the same type of round as my .30 06. So, 150 grain Barnes TTSX Boat Tail. Both rifles are set up with Leupold Scopes. Tikka is stainless steel with the fluted barrel. I replaced the butt pad with a limbsaver air cell. No muzzle brake necessary.

John

John,

So, why did you pass on a 2x2?....Are you suggesting too much rifle?

Reactions: TRICER and HATCHET1
John,

So, why did you pass on a 2x2?....Are you suggesting too much rifle?
I already had a 4x3 in my freezer from up in X9a. I had my D16 tag and hunted it for the practice. I wasn’t going to pull the trigger on another Buck unless it was a really impressive one. If I hadn’t already had a Buck then I would have smoked him. He was never farther out than 275. So, chip shot. He was good but will be a really nice one in Fall. I was tempted but don’t regret on the pass. D16 has nice Bucks. Just need to be patient and let the younger Bucks have a chance to fill in. I got that Leupold 4.5x14x40 CDS ZL Side Focus with Windplex mounted on the Tikka. I will zero it for 200 and likely hunt it next season in D16. I don’t want to take a shot out past 400 and the Tikka 7mm REM Mag with that Leupold scope will easily make those shots.

John

I already had a 4x3 in my freezer from up in X9a. I had my D16 tag and hunted it for the practice. I wasn’t going to pull the trigger on another Buck unless it was a really impressive one. If I hadn’t already had a Buck then I would have smoked him. He was never farther out than 275. So, chip shot. He was good but will be a really nice one in Fall. I was tempted but don’t regret on the pass. D16 has nice Bucks. Just need to be patient and let the younger Bucks have a chance to fill in. I got that Leupold 4.5x14x40 CDS ZL Side Focus with Windplex mounted on the Tikka. I will zero it for 200 and likely hunt it next season in D16. I don’t want to take a shot out past 400 and the Tikka 7mm REM Mag with that Leupold scope will easily make those shots.

John
That’s one of my favorite scopes.

If you’re comfortable shooting out to 400 yards, the 6.5cm with a mono bullet will kill just fine. If you hunt out of state and use lead, your range just extended. Pick the bullet you want to shoot, find the minimum muzzle velocity that bullet expands and research your ballistic calculator to find your range. There is lots of info on the internet that with the right bullet you don’t need a big cartridge anymore. If you want the 7mm buy it, it’s the American thing to do.

In a way, most calibers are redundant. Like was previously said, bullets matter more then caliber. ELDX, ELDM, TMK in that 6.5 will kill an elk every single time you put it in its lungs. No need for anything bigger, but that doesn't mean you can't. I have 338 RUM, 3 300 WM, 6.5 PRC, and a 7 PRC and a 6-6.5 PRC being built...so I also get having options.

A simple 223 with 77 TMK's can kill anything you want. To me it comes down to your personal hit percentage, trading off recoil, BC, and muzzle velocity.

I am going to clear my safe and keep the 6-6.5, the 7, a 300 WM, and my 338 RUM even though they will all do the same job. Likely my 6-6.5 will be my CA go to rifle with my 7 PRC being out of state.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
If you’re comfortable shooting out to 400 yards, the 6.5cm with a mono bullet will kill just fine. If you hunt out of state and use lead, your range just extended. Pick the bullet you want to shoot, find the minimum muzzle velocity that bullet expands and research your ballistic calculator to find your range. There is lots of info on the internet that with the right bullet you don’t need a big cartridge anymore. If you want the 7mm buy it, it’s the American thing to do.
Finally ..something to help me make a mammal Dead!! 6.5 for me!! Thanks dude!

Reactions: JakeSCH
In a way, most calibers are redundant. Like was previously said, bullets matter more then caliber. ELDX, ELDM, TMK in that 6.5 will kill an elk every single time you put it in its lungs. No need for anything bigger, but that doesn't mean you can't. I have 338 RUM, 3 300 WM, 6.5 PRC, and a 7 PRC and a 6-6.5 PRC being built...so I also get having options.

A simple 223 with 77 TMK's can kill anything you want. To me it comes down to your personal hit percentage, trading off recoil, BC, and muzzle velocity.

I am going to clear my safe and keep the 6-6.5, the 7, a 300 WM, and my 338 RUM even though they will all do the same job. Likely my 6-6.5 will be my CA go to rifle with my 7 PRC being out of state.

I am going to bite my lip on this one...

I am going to bite my lip on this one...

John you got me down the rabbit hole with your 6.5 saum and the 140 bergers on elk. Lol

I personally wouldn’t use the 223 but evidence is there. Being able to spot impacts and quick follow up shots is important. I don’t do that well with my 338.

I’m not jumping back in the rabbit hole. I just want to see this thread run on forever! Just here to poke the bear as they say lol

Reactions: JakeSCH
You know what’s weird, and I think about this alot … I’m typing on a supercomputer that fits in my hand. From a climate controlled room, discussing/observing a conversation about the best way to kill animals for sport. All while some 12 year old boy on the other side of the planet is hunting game with a spear, and likely goes hungry if he doesn’t kill anything. And by the age of 15 will probably have killed more animals than I ever will. But that’s just how my brain works

Yup.
No way I’m taking a 6.5 on a grizzly hunt.
I would take a .338

Yeah I get what you are saying. I was referring more to elk or deer. For a big brown bear I would feel more comfortable with my 338 too.

Though a 6.5 would work, I would feel much better going into that alder patch with 300 gr projectiles.

Reactions: Lungpopper
I'm gonna kill a mammal or 3 this weekend with my 25-06 with 100gr federal copper ..was hoping to kill a yardbird because those are cooler...but it's gonna big rain..so porky and his buddy's are gonna get the little hard pill that not only could...but does....would bring the 257wby mag..but the wood is just to shiney for the abuse...so the $350 Howa gets the call .she's a shooter..no doubt..standby creedmore shooters ..daddy is healed up ready to game...no quarter shall be given..well..maybe a big fat mama gets a pass..leave some seed..

And sadly...No truck..grannys fields are planted...so it's a spot a stalk..man she gets pissed if I drive when it's muddy! Cranky old bird some times..damn..my legs hurt already..

• Love
Reactions: Stikbrandon
Yeah I get what you are saying. I was referring more to elk or deer. For a big brown bear I would feel more comfortable with my 338 too.

Though a 6.5 would work, I would feel much better going into that alder patch with 300 gr projectiles.

So whats going on the elk hunt this year?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu