Own a 6.5crd. Should I consider a 7MM?

You know what’s weird, and I think about this alot … I’m typing on a supercomputer that fits in my hand. From a climate controlled room, discussing/observing a conversation about the best way to kill animals for sport. All while some 12 year old boy on the other side of the planet is hunting game with a spear, and likely goes hungry if he doesn’t kill anything. And by the age of 15 will probably have killed more animals than I ever will. But that’s just how my brain works
You are correct on so many levels. We are spoiled

In a way, most calibers are redundant. Like was previously said, bullets matter more then caliber. ELDX, ELDM, TMK in that 6.5 will kill an elk every single time you put it in its lungs. No need for anything bigger, but that doesn't mean you can't. I have 338 RUM, 3 300 WM, 6.5 PRC, and a 7 PRC and a 6-6.5 PRC being built...so I also get having options.

A simple 223 with 77 TMK's can kill anything you want. To me it comes down to your personal hit percentage, trading off recoil, BC, and muzzle velocity.

I am going to clear my safe and keep the 6-6.5, the 7, a 300 WM, and my 338 RUM even though they will all do the same job. Likely my 6-6.5 will be my CA go to rifle with my 7 PRC being out of state.
Someone’s been on rokslide

Someone’s been on rokslide

Yeah they have a ton of good evidence over there. Talked with form quite a few times and basically everything I believed was non-evidence based / old school gun writers.

I still like bigger / faster calibers for mono's though I think a 7 or 300 is about perfect. You have less margin for error with mono's.

I think it is best to choose the cartridge based on the recoil you can effectively shoot well keeping cross hairs on the target / spot impacts. Aka not my 338 RUM.

Yeah they have a ton of good evidence over there. Talked with form quite a few times and basically everything I believed was non-evidence based / old school gun writers.

I still like bigger / faster calibers for mono's though I think a 7 or 300 is about perfect. You have less margin for error with mono's.

I think it is best to choose the cartridge based on the recoil you can effectively shoot well keeping cross hairs on the target / spot impacts. Aka not my 338 RUM.
One hundred percent, I’ve lurked on that page for a few years just never joined. It’s a fantastic resource, just goes against everything the common person has been told about hunting. When you start telling people about it they look at you like you’re crazy. I’m looking at using a 223 with the 79gr DRT bullets for deer this year here in D-16.

One hundred percent, I’ve lurked on that page for a few years just never joined. It’s a fantastic resource, just goes against everything the common person has been told about hunting. When you start telling people about it they look at you like you’re crazy. I’m looking at using a 223 with the 79gr DRT bullets for deer this year here in D-16.

Do it!

Are a bunch of people using that bullet with good results?

Do it!

Are a bunch of people using that bullet with good results?
I heard about it over on that other page and researched it quite a bit and from what I’ve seen, it’s a non lead bullet that acts like a lead bullet. I’ll order some up and shoot it to see how it groups. It’s about the same price as Barnes or other mono bullets.

I heard about it over on that other page and researched it quite a bit and from what I’ve seen, it’s a non lead bullet that acts like a lead bullet. I’ll order some up and shoot it to see how it groups. It’s about the same price as Barnes or other mono bullets.

Let us know how it goes. I've been looking at an Ultralite 556 build. I don't see using it out of state as I think it just gives up too much (deer/elk 300-800lbs) but on our 100-150lb deer and pigs it would probably work fairly well.

Reactions: CaptCoot
I feel like congratulating and booing you at the same time lol. Glad to hear it though.

I feel that right now! I figured a year of sacrifice for long term benefit is worth it and who knows...maybe I will be able to sneak away for a short cow hunt.

Let us know how it goes. I've been looking at an Ultralite 556 build. I don't see using it out of state as I think it just gives up too much (deer/elk 300-800lbs) but on our 100-150lb deer and pigs it would probably work fairly well.

I would rather go with a 22 creed or a 22 UM - put those light weight bullets over 4000 fps...

I feel that right now! I figured a year of sacrifice for long term benefit is worth it and who knows...maybe I will be able to sneak away for a short cow hunt.

It will be buddy. Just trust the process. I am a little more than 10 years in now and you absolutely are underpaid in the beginning, paid about right in the middle then eventually progress to being "overpaid."

I would rather go with a 22 creed or a 22 UM - put those light weight bullets over 4000 fps...

That's the biggest issue I have with the small-caliber stuff. Less than ideal shots. That's where your 338 mono REALLY shines in my opinion.

If I look at Colorado, I don't think I would have taken the quartering away shot with a small round and I was losing the opportunity fast with him approaching the skyline. 320 yards.

Same with dads bull. He was quartered away and 70 yards from private. 200 yards.

Local buck was quartered to and 100 yards from private. I think a smaller caliber would probably have worked in that scenario but not the prior ones. 225 yards.

The reason to consider the 7mm is because of the Cow Elk hunt in AZ in December. If that caliber does not put me at a disadvantage againts any large game in north America, I don't think I can ask for more.

Many people take pride in taking large game with small caliber. I get it. I love taking more birds with my 20ga than my friends who shoot 12s.
I just don't know anything about hunting Elk so I want to have the right tool for the job.

I would imagine if I get within 200yrds my 6.5 crd with a 140gr bullet would kill a cow Elk with no problem if the shot is well placed.

I am not a gun collector, not even a gun aficionado. I see guns as tools...I use them for hunting and self-defense. I own one rifle, one shotgun and one pistol that is it. The idea of possibly having a rifle sitting in the safe not being used bugs me. But then again, I like hunting black bears too. And I see some more out-of-state hunts in my future where bigger game than the local stuff might be found.

I like the idea of the 7PRC but honestly finding the ammo seems to be a pita right now. As I understand it, it is also possible to re-barrel a 7MM to turn it into a 7PRC. That is something to consider.

Now, I am looking the Savage 110 Storm with the adjustable stock and trigger on Left Handed since Browning does not make the one I wanted in LH. Winchester is an option.

We need pics with the dead cow and rifle and bullet of choice . There...everyone shall find mental bliss .as dead mammal pics really do tell all...and put a ! on the talk and question above .

Reactions: 180ls1
The reason to consider the 7mm is because of the Cow Elk hunt in AZ in December. If that caliber does not put me at a disadvantage againts any large game in north America, I don't think I can ask for more.

Many people take pride in taking large game with small caliber. I get it. I love taking more birds with my 20ga than my friends who shoot 12s.
I just don't know anything about hunting Elk so I want to have the right tool for the job.

I would imagine if I get within 200yrds my 6.5 crd with a 140gr bullet would kill a cow Elk with no problem if the shot is well placed.

I am not a gun collector, not even a gun aficionado. I see guns as tools...I use them for hunting and self-defense. I own one rifle, one shotgun and one pistol that is it. The idea of possibly having a rifle sitting in the safe not being used bugs me. But then again, I like hunting black bears too. And I see some more out-of-state hunts in my future where bigger game than the local stuff might be found.

I like the idea of the 7PRC but honestly finding the ammo seems to be a pita right now. As I understand it, it is also possible to re-barrel a 7MM to turn it into a 7PRC. That is something to consider.

Now, I am looking the Savage 110 Storm with the adjustable stock and trigger on Left Handed since Browning does not make the one I wanted in LH. Winchester is an option.

You're overthinking this man. If that 7mm killed a stag and you made a perfect shot. Just repeat the process with a cow elk, it's basically the same thing. I've killed 1/2 dozen cows with my .270 and consider it a perfect cow elk gun, that 7 will certainly do the trick.

If you’re a 1 gun guy. There isn’t a better round than the 7 Rem mag. 140’s for deer, 160’s for elk. Easy to find ammo for.
The 7PRC is interesting, but is designed for the heavy 160-195 grain bullets.

Yeah i would agree. 7 PRC is only beneficial if you are going factory gun / factory ammo and want to kill at a long way off.

We need pics with the dead cow and rifle and bullet of choice . There...everyone shall find mental bliss .as dead mammal pics really do tell all...and put a ! on the talk and question above .

You would appreciate this one!! My cow is on top! It is great to be able to get to them in a truck.

01E50F77-C4B7-4D4D-B8EF-F25C4F847033.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu