San Jacinto

nicapopolis said:
8SteelTown said:
I'll throw mine into the mix. My first time at San J. Was like dove opener times 1000. Look left and they're coming right. Fast, fast, fast. Got my limit and went for some quail birds after. Great times with friends. And MAN can that dog hunt!!!

Aha man. The coot wasn't worthy of the tailgate shot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Steve
He was refuting to this post I do believe

8SteelTown said:
7 birds on the strap and you're giving me ish about 3 coots on my hand? Waterfowl snobs. FYI, I ate 1 coot, 1 spoonie, and 1 ruddy yesterday. Have 3 more ducks in the fridge. Took the coots for the team and that should be enough.

2 mallards this morning. 1 m 1 f
Hahaha. Far from a waterfowl snob. Total joke. This site just seems to have a harder time getting the jokes across.

Don't think I haven't ate coot.

Here is the thing about coots.

1. People always seem to be ashamed of shooting them. Not sure why, you made the conscious decision to shoot the duck.

2. Coots sometimes get shot from mistaken identity. That in my opinion isn't good. I pride myself in knowing a lot of different duck species by silhouette and I still wait for better shooting light to kill ducks. Plus, big ducks really like that 9 o clock hour to start working.

Hey all. well the lotto thing is not paying off yet and my wife and i are getting anxious to go on our first refuge duck hunt. We went to san j for the blind brush up and got the lay of the land. we are thinking of sweat lining it next wednesday the 4th. do you guys thing we will get on? any updates on how the ducks are doing?

thanks

GSPman said:
Hey all. well the lotto thing is not paying off yet and my wife and i are getting anxious to go on our first refuge duck hunt. We went to san j for the blind brush up and got the lay of the land. we are thinking of sweat lining it next wednesday the 4th. do you guys thing we will get on? any updates on how the ducks are doing?

thanks
Is driving to Wister an option? I wouldn't waste my time with the sweatline at SJ. Without good wind early November can be painfully slow. Shoot even with wind it can suck.

nicapopolis said:
GSPman said:

thanks
Is driving to Wister an option? I wouldn't waste my time with the sweatline at SJ. Without good wind early November can be painfully slow. Shoot even with wind it can suck.

Like today......................... :(

There was also a 7 between 2 guys......Really really slow for the conditions we had. Which were almost as good as it gets for Wister (more wind only thing better).

Refill for the afternoon at SJ on Wednesday. Didn't even see a duck, not even at a distance, and only heard about 5 shot the entire afternoon.

Been eating duck for 4 days now and my boys and I can't get enough

Attachments

• 2015-10-30 16.49.04.png
    2015-10-30 16.49.04.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 2015-10-30 16.50.07.png
    2015-10-30 16.50.07.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 2015-10-30 16.50.30.png
    2015-10-30 16.50.30.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Newbie questions: what is "rice"

And why don't people like to shoot coots? Do they taste bad?

Baldkrash said:

Rice breast is a parasite that will get into ducks.....It is not harmful to humans, but it is gross and most people dispose of that bird.....Coots IMO don't taste much different that many ducks.....Ate them as a kid and never knew the difference ( I was raised you shoot it, you eat it).....Coot shoots are quite popular in the Midwest (and eaten).

Baldkrash said:

I think not shooting coots is just a personal choice by many in the waterfowling world.

In my opinion it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Not much to killing them.

The main reasons I am drawn to waterfowling is scouting different groups of birds, planning and targeting specific groups of birds in an area. Then trying to fool those birds to commit to calling and plastic blocks on the water.

Coots really do not offer any of that.

If we still truly hunted for sustenance this would be a different story.

nicapopolis said:
Baldkrash said:

I think not shooting coots is just a personal choice by many in the waterfowling world.

In my opinion it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Not much to killing them.

The main reasons I am drawn to waterfowling is scouting different groups of birds, planning and targeting specific groups of birds in an area. Then trying to fool those birds to commit to calling and plastic blocks on the water.

Coots really do not offer any of that.

If we still truly hunted for sustenance this would be a different story.

Nick wwe kinda think alike
I'll see no reason to shoot coots out side of keeping the dog sharp. You water smack a coot at 50 yards , it reinforces that prey drive wwith a positive reward (duck/coot) , some people eat them, it's a personnel preference.

My dogs first retrieves where on coots. On slow days at the refuges , 15 retrieves for my dog is well worth the 15 shells used on coots.

The "Jac" wasn't half bad yesterday........ ;)

ps...............Wister has nothing on the mud in this hole............... :D

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    991.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 24
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    513.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 27
Blake,

I don't mind mud much. It goes with duck hunting. But that mud yesterday just sucked the boots right off your feet.....Out of gas on a 75 yd walk and 4 dozen......... :D

ilovesprig said:
Blake,

I don't mind mud much. It goes with duck hunting. But that mud yesterday just sucked the boots right off your feet.....Out of gas on a 75 yd walk and 4 dozen......... :D

I'm right there with you. And I don't have a dog, which makes every retrieve a workout.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu