SoCal man mauled by lion

T

Turas

SoCal man attacked by mountain lion, this weekend:

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79140264/

"[Do] not bike, jog or hike alone or at dawn, dusk and at night. If a mountain lion attacks, immediately call 911."

There must be effective avoidance tips for solo hunters and hikers, other than just "don't".

Turas said:

"[Do] not bike, jog or hike alone or at dawn, dusk and at night. If a mountain lion attacks, immediately call 911."

There must be effective avoidance tips for solo hunters and hikers, other than just "don't".

Avoidance tips? If a mountain lion wants to find you, its going to find you. The real challenge would be how not to get eaten. To do that, you'd need to see it before its teeth have sunk into your neck and have access to a weapon. ;)

Turas said:

I hunt solo in lion country quite a bit. I look at it exactly like surfing. You know sharks are there. They problaly don't want you though. It gose to the back of my mind until the hair on the back of my neck stands up or I see one.

My cousins seen 5 last year in Colorado all with in 50 yards and crouched down like they were stalking them

TaftHunter said:
My cousins seen 5 last year in Colorado all with in 50 yards and crouched down like they were stalking them

11 yards closer to josh then me. Solo bow hunt one big tom 47 yards. 2 more seen but friends also all this year all San Diego

how about let us hunt them since they are not endangered anymore ! than they would have fear in humans unlike right now and also maybe the california deer herd would get a helping hand !

baboltin said:
how about let us hunt them since they are not endangered anymore ! than they would have fear in humans unlike right now and also maybe the california deer herd would get a helping hand !

I wish! I used to have a real good deer spot, we killed 4 deer in 2 years out of 3 of us in there, last year we saw a total of like 10 all year, the year before that we would see no less then 15 each time we went out. Didn't see lion tracks til this year

Never gonna happen. Not in this granola minded state. I wear my bow on my back to protect my neck. Knife on my hip at all times. Be careful they're everywhere

baboltin said:

If only it were that simple...

I hunt and hike alone, and often camp alone too. I haven't seen a lion, only tracks. A lion would have to be pretty desperate to attack me, but I try to keep an eye out especially when I'm moving fast through the forest.

Sent via Tapatalk

Excellent comments and tips.

Here's to a fast recovery and better days for the guy who got jumped. Looks like he fought back and Longtail called it a draw.

Saw a young male while doing some scouting on Camp Pendleton last fall. He did not want anything to do with us but it sure made me realize that they are out there..

They generally bait the traps with the recovered kill. I wonder if they baited the trap with a 40ouncer to get the homeless dude to go in and sit quietly till the lion came back. Gives a whole new meaning to the sport of bum fighting.( yeah, yeah, I know. I need sensitivity classes.)

Invisible man said:
They generally bait the traps with the recovered kill. I wonder if they baited the trap with a 40ouncer to get the homeless dude to go in and sit quietly till the lion came back. Gives a whole new meaning to the sport of bum fighting.( yeah, yeah, I know. I need sensitivity classes.)

Bums are survivors. They don't go easily. ;D

Invisible man said:

Could you imagine how gnarly that'd be... just sitting around drinking a tall can and next thing you know, there's a big cat with your head in his mouth! If that ain't a wakeup call, I don't know what is!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu