Trail Cams for the Dove Opener

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
On the dove opener, we usually drive by the fields the day before to see which ones have the most birds. This has worked pretty well, but it doesn't always work. I think putting trail cameras out in the dove fields in the weeks before the opener can make our dove hunts even better. By knowing how many birds were in each field every morning in the weeks leading up to it, I can practically guarantee an awesome opening morning. I have two concerns. One, how many trail cams should I place in each field? Two, is it better to place the cameras on stakes for a wider view, or nestle them into the wheat stubble for concealment?

What if someone taps into your camera and uploads, fake dove news, and makes it look like a great area just to throw you off from their spot. Bet you never considered that.

Reactions: WaterDawg
I would recommend the really expensive cellular cameras. You want to keep a constant eye on the dove, pattern them etc. Tricky animals for sure but once you have their flight patterns and eating habits down you should be able to bag a few trophies.

Dude they are just dove!

Reactions: MAG 1 and Ahidog
Stake out cameras in wheat stubble? I like that you think outside the box, but, what makes you think they will be there when you come back to retrieve them. You should put 6 or more to a field to verify flyways in and out of the field.
Good luck and I hope you have deep pockets.

find the water, find the feed... put cams out. You should have kept this on the d-low now everyone will try this. I thought I was the only one, guess I was wrong.
I use these..

Reactions: MAG 1
What if someone taps into your camera and uploads, fake dove news, and makes it look like a great area just to throw you off from their spot. Bet you never considered that.
I will have to conceal them very well and lock them. Decoy cameras could help as well.

I would recommend the really expensive cellular cameras. You want to keep a constant eye on the dove, pattern them etc. Tricky animals for sure but once you have their flight patterns and eating habits down you should be able to bag a few trophies.

Dude they are just dove!
What if I pattern a banded dove and them knock him down on the opener, that would be the story of a lifetime. I’ll need at least 30 megapixels to see the bands, but its worth it.

Reactions: TRICER
Stake out cameras in wheat stubble? I like that you think outside the box, but, what makes you think they will be there when you come back to retrieve them. You should put 6 or more to a field to verify flyways in and out of the field.
Good luck and I hope you have deep pockets.
I’ll need plenty of brush to conceal them if I go the stake route. Thats why placing them near or directly on the ground might be the better option. A small tarp over the camera might keep them from being cooked out there in the sun.

Get a drone with a 2 mils radius and sit in truck. You Only need to be out a few hours both morning and eve.

Reactions: dhntr48
Get a drone with a 2 mils radius and sit in truck. You Only need to be out a few hours both morning and eve.
If they were next door, yes. But I can’t drive 3 hours to the dove fields every morning and sit there for three hours, that’s ridiculous. I’d have to quit my job. Unless I could convince them what an important undertaking this really is.

If they were next door, yes. But I can’t drive 3 hours to the dove fields every morning and sit there for three hours, that’s ridiculous. I’d have to quit my job. Unless I could convince them what an important undertaking this really is.
You really only need to go out a day or two, Once they find a flyway they stick to it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu