Utah… here we go again…

Big congrats on the harvest. You will always remember the first, super cool. Thank You for sharing with us. :clap:

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Well, I'm gonna try to make a long story short.
My son and I left San Diego on Thursday around 4 am. Drove straight to Lehi, UT, to meet with our friend Rod there. Friday morning we left town with direction to our hunting unit. Four hours later we were there, the day was cloudy and we had rain on the forecast. We drove around scouting, and the only thing we came across were a herd of antelope. We didn't know much about this area of the unit, so we decided to go to sleep and to take one of the trails going into the mountain, we thought that could be a good way to start our hunt. Saturday we woke up and found out that it has been snowing over night. We took off into the mountain anyways. We glassed all morning under a cold and snowy weather. We couldn't see more than 200 yds some times. By noon we decided to go back to camp, have a warm lunch and then road hunt since it was still raining/snowing. It gave us the chance to see more areas we were not familiar with. Sunday, we woke up and checked the weather. No rain was expected until pass noon. We headed back up to the same area we glassed the previous day. My son and my friend were about 50 yds on front of me when I spotted something between the burnt cedars that was not normal. I tried to glass inside those trees and figured that they were deer just hanging in there. They caught wind of me and took off. I saw them go over a hill 300 yds away from me. I rushed to catch my son and friend who were at this point about 500 yds from me. The plan was to keep going down that trail, I told them a phrase I have heard before "Don't leave deer to find deer". So we all turn around and went back to find the Buck that was with those does I just saw. We separated, I went left to the farther hill, my son went straight through the path the deer took and my friend Rod went to the right. I wanted to be my son who would shoot his first deer, so I was more interested on finding the deer and putting my son on that buck than anything else. I had to move to the next hill which was higher and I found the herd three ridges further North, I closed in to within 250 yds on the front hill side. I lost sight of my son at that point but knew he would need more time to set himself up when suddenly the does started moving and going around the hill like if they heard or smell my friend or my son. At that point I had to make a decision, I dropped my pack, ranged the deer and chamber a round on my .243 Weatherby. Aimed to the buck and he got behind a doe. Looked forward and saw a doe leaving the hill, I hoped that the buck could follow the same path so I aimed there and just waited for him to show up, 5 seconds later my Winchester SuperX power point 100 grain bullet was crossing the air of the 230 yds that were between me and that beautiful animal. He got hit, run over the hill and a few seconds later returned to die right were I shot him. His heart was blown in pieces. He was on the deeper, darker hole of that mountain so the drag out of there was mortal.
We made it to camp by noon, the rain started when we were hiking up dragging the buck so we decided to spend the rest of the afternoon having lunch and staying warm.

It will continue...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu