Welcome Newbies!

Wow that is a once in a lifetime draw. You should post that information in the Big Game thread it will be a hit and we will all love following your year. Best draw hands down on the site.

Retired mil. Been hunting Pendleton(G10) for year. Just drew X9B. Looking for any and all info on the zone. Already know the physicality. Wanna do a solo 3 day pack trip. Should be epic.

Surf,

Welcome to SCH & thank you for your service......X9-B is big country.....I used to see deer in Big Pine Cyn., Northside while blue grouse & chukar hunting.....My old buddy shot a nice buck a couple years back near Coyote Flats.....I also have a good friend that lives near Independence and he knows that country well.....I'll see if I can get you some intel.

ilovesprig said:
Surf,

Welcome to SCH & thank you for your service......X9-B is big country.....I used to see deer in Big Pine Cyn., Northside while blue grouse & chukar hunting.....My old buddy shot a nice buck a couple years back near Coyote Flats.....I also have a good friend that lives near Independence and he knows that country well.....I'll see if I can get you some intel.

Cheers mate! I am lookin to scout mid/summer. The Sierra are awesome.

After living up there, I can tell you summer range is a lot different normally than fall/winter range.....Pray for early snow......wink.gif

I read ya. Spent lotsa summers in and around Yosemite. Feast or famine

Hi my name is Danny. I live in LA. I'm a union carpenter (local 2361) 32 years old. Don't know anybody that hunts. So I would like for somebody to take me under their wing and show me the ropes, and make new friends. That's it, again hello.

Reactions: sleipnir
Danny,

Welcome to SCH.....Knowing if you've ever hunted before, what kind of firearms you own, archery equipment you may have, and what game you're interested in hunting are all helpful for someone that may want to help you out....Also, I suggest going to your local gun ranges and hanging out some. Try to find like minded folks. Don't know what part of LA you're in, but there are some hunting & fishing clubs up your way. Long Beach Sportsman's Club and The Compton Hunting & Fishing Club come to mind.....There's also a number of conservation groups ( CWA, NRA, DU, NWTF, RMEF, SCI, etc.) that you can join and help out with their banquets or whatever activities they may have.

I won't kid you, it's hard sometimes finding a good hunting partner or someone that will "take you under their wing". There's a great thread for anyone just starting out on this forum. Read it and be willing to pay your dues.

Good luck & here's that link

http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,6032.0.html

Greetings, my name is Mark and I have lived and hunted in Southern California most of my life. I started bird dogging for my dad on dove hunts when I was 4 years old. I got my hunting license when I was 8 and never missed an opening day until I was 25. Then life got in the way and it was hit or miss ever since, up until about 3 years ago. I started taking my son dove hunting and we have mad it out every opening day since then. He and my daughter have their hunting licenses now and I'm looking forward to many years of hunting with them. I also hunt predators and varmints and am looking forward to getting into duck hunting, pig hunting and big game hunting. I hope to get a lot of tips from this sight. Thank you all in advance.

Hi my name is Mike. I am 39 years old. Live in Riverside and have hunted dove twice. Have always wanted to do a pig and deer hunt but never had time or resources. I am finally going to make it happen and have been trying to gather as much info as possible. I don't know anyone that hunts to help get me started so this site looks promising in tips and experience. Would really like to pass knowledge to my children.

Welcome mike. You came to the right place. What rifle (or archery gear) do you own for deer and pig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only rifle I have besides my shotgun is a .556. I am ready to purchase one but have not fully decided. Debating between .308 and 30-06. Probably a bit much but it would be one less excuse to get started.

.308 and .30-06 are both ideal first rifles for big game. Great versatility, stopping power and penetration for just about everything in NA other than Brown bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. My wife and I are in Los Angeles, but don't hate us for it. HA!

I'm looking forward to sharing some exploits!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu