Welcome Newbies!

Hey all, my name is Ryan. I am brand new to the hunting world and looking to get into it this year with some small game hunts. I was thinking that hunting rabbit and squirrel is the simplisest way to get outdoors and learn the land. I live in Orange County and I'm finding it difficult to look at a map and understand where I can legally hunt. I believe that I can hunt BLM land but don't know how to tell where this is. As of right now I have a .22 and .12 gauge. I plan on spending time reading a ton of forums but would love any help. Looking forward to learning from all of you.

Ryan,

Welcome to SCH......Tons of great info on the site for whatever you want to hunt.....Ask questions or use the PM feature, if you want to be more specific about an area.

Start thinking Imperial Valley or even eastern Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.

How's it going. My name is Danny. Born and raised in San Diego. I'm actually brand new to hunting. Never done it and want to learn because i think it's a great hobby. And i like hobbies. I like to fish and camp and want to expand my inner outdoorsman, kinda.

Reactions: sleipnir
Danny,

Welcome to SCH......Any idea what you may want to start to hunt?......A great event that's coming up is the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up...Feb. 18th, 2017...The event will be held at Lake Sutherland......Lots of info about our national forests in San Diego Co, hunting turkeys, and a chance to hunt on city property.

Danny,

Welcome to SCH......Any idea what you may want to start to hunt?......A great event that's coming up is the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up...Feb. 18th, 2017...The event will be held at Lake Sutherland......Lots of info about our national forests in San Diego Co, hunting turkeys, and a chance to hunt on city property.

Thank you. I want to start small with rabbits and possibly dove, ducks and pheasants. My cousin has some knowledge about hunting but i want to gain more knowledge for myself and see what else i can do to. Does this event require me to hunt or can i go as a spectator my first time?

There's basically a big hunting seminar........I think the cost is like 5 or 10 bucks........You draw for turkey hunts on the Lake Sutherland property.......Lots of vendors, info booths, & such.

Hello
My name is Scott and Im interested in getting into hunting again and haven't done so in over 2o + years. Lived in Japan for many years and now back in SoCal (Temecula). Im looking forward to the SD Turkey Tune Up coming up. Hoping to learn a lot from this forum and meet some new people to go hunting with some day. Ive never been Turkey hunting before and would like to use an air rifle for the spring hunt in 2017.

Ive seen The videos and topicd about using airguns for turkeys. Thought it'd be cool

No doubt doable, but it's extremely hard to hit a walnut at 10 to 30 yds......If you're hunting where noise or some other reason you can't use a shotgun, then go for it......Personally, just I am not into trying to take a bird that already is hard to get, harder to get......2 cents.

.Tanner's turkey.....4-28-13 013.JPG

Last edited:
Hello All,
My name is Glen and I am new to this site. Looks great with a lot of local area (San Diego) posting. I enjoy elk, deer, dove, turkey hunting and fishing. Hope to have some photos to post up next year. Thanks!

Last edited:
Good Afternoon everyone,

I just bought my first air rifle the other day and I'm just seeing if anyone knows any good areas where I can go to sight it in. I also want to use it to go hunt some small game with, I'm not new to hunting, but I have never hunted here in California. Im jus my looking for some tips and maybe to get a hunt organized with someone else that is interested in shooting some small game before the season ends.

-Nick

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu