100% newbie from Los Angeles

Eddie323

Apr 4, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to all this (forum and hunting). A little about myself: I am a 35 year old Army veteran who loves the outdoors but because my wife doesn't I haven't been out as much as I would want to. I recently purchased an AR 15 (.223/5.56) mainly for target practice but started wondering about hunting with it. As a newbie I have a ton of questions regarding all aspects of the hunting world as I've never hunted in my life. My main question would be what can I hunt with my rifle? But any advice, tips etc... will be appreciated as well. Hope to hear form some of you hunters out there!

Eddie,

Welcome to SCH......Even though you are able to hunt with your AR .223. You are limiting yourself to what you can hunt (basically a pig/varmint gun).....I suggest getting yourself a shotgun (12 gauge) and a rifle such as a .243, .260, 270, or even a 30-06 (many other good calibers as well).....Shotgunning opens many doors to bird hunting and rifles of this caliber can be used for any deer, pig, or varmint. All of which are game animals of California.

Welcome Eddie. First off thanks you for your service to this great country. +2 on everything Sprig said. Buy a shotgun. Lots of bird hunting available in California including dove, duck, chukar, pheasant, quail, and more. Ask away on this forum. You will learn many things about hunting just as I have.

Welcome Eddie and thank you for your service.
PS we need more army folks on this forum.

Vet to Vet, welcome to the forum. I'm a noob also, and so far this is a great place to hang out.

Welcome and thanks for your service. My son and I are both newbies as well. We had a great time duck hunting this season. Lots of practice shooting trap and skeet paid off in the duck blind. My son also has an AR and we were lucky enough to get a coyote first time out. My brother in law was helpful with his "guide services" Glad to help out any way I can.

Welcome, your in the right place. Ive been hunting for 2 years now and there is tons of help here.
Just be humble and listen. I've been thumped a few times for sharing mistakes, but it makes me a better; safer hunter. Also look through the old posts, there is lots of info on game specific hunting..

A few of the guys are ok at fishing too

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu