10mm revolver/g20/1911 vs 357 mag for hunting sidearm?

DojaDr

Mar 2, 2019
So I’m debating on either the 10mm or 357 mag as a hunting sidearm. I hunt here locally in the CNF and plan to do other out of state hunts for bigger game in the future. Which one would be best?

I reload and am already set up for 9mm with small pistol primers which would also work for 357 mag. ..... and I could use the same diameter projectiles just in a flat nose non self defense load. As far a take down and maybe a bear would 357 work? I know that 10mm is only rated around low 700ft lbs.... What do you all think would be best? Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
First why exactly do you want to carry a handgun sidearm while hunting? Maybe your question isn’t really clear. Do you want to carry the handgun for hunting or do you want to carry it as some kind of backup While hunting? Please clarify. In any event if you thought you might take down a bear with a handgun then the minimum you should consider is a 44 mag. Even a 44mag is considered marginal for bear and for the big boys like grizzly and brown bears you’d just piss them off.

I see no need to carry a sidearm unless you are in grizzly country. Just more weight and one more thing to worry about. Millions of people hike every day without a side arm. I would guess way more people get injured by accidental discharge than they do predators.

Keep in mind I am much more lax about predators than some people. For some reason a lot of hunters have this fear of predators. I just don’t care or really think twice about them. If I can’t get em with my rifle I am sure there are a lot worst ways I could have died.

Carry whatever makes you feel confident and more comfortable in the backcountry. Keep in mind your rifle will already be on your shoulder. Are you gonna drop the rifle and go for the sidearm more than likely not.

My buddy picked up a G20 recently and it's a pretty sweet pistol for a decent price. It's fairly large though so you'd probably need to run a chest rig for it that tags along well with your bino harness.

If you're worried about bears or lions all you need to do is run faster than your buddy. If your solo hunting, I would go with the .454 or .500 Smith & Wesson

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I highly recommend shooting the large caliber revolvers before getting one. Most guys never shoot them and then when they do they realize how terrible they are with them.

Reactions: WaterDog
I was thinking about a Taurus Judge. It can shoot .410 loads and 45 LC
I would carry it just in case I encounter a rattler in short range.
Also I think that may be fun to shoot birds with it too.

I don't know if one heads into Gris country
It may be handy. From my understanding
All the guides carry something in Alaska.
But ya the local mountains are not needed. I had a rattle snake blocking my exit once. And was pissed off. Very agressive. Pulled out my my 22 with bird shot made short work of it.
Also it came in handy primitive camping
Shoot a rabbit or tree squirrel for dinner

Buy a .357 mag. You can shoot .38’s out of it you want, you can carry snake shells, a .357 will kill a long tail, you could throw a .38 in there to dispatch a wounded buck instead of using your rifle, it’s fun to shoot at jackrabbits with a wheel gun, and you never know who you’ll run into in the woods. Don’t let anyone persuade you from buying a pistol. Hell I say you should buy both.

Still waiting for the OP to tell us why and reason for caring a handgun while hunting. If you are carrying a rifle there really is no need to carry the other. I admit I carry a 44 mag when hunting but it is just out of 40 plus years habit. I also carry when I’m in the wilderness not hunting. Then it is for both 4 legged and 2 legged predators. The calibers larger than 44 mag are really too hot to handle in an emergency situation like a bear or a boar pig charging. For various reasons, mostly recoil if you need a second or third shot it’ll be shear luck if you hit your target.
As I said I carry when hunting out of habit and that I feel good and comfortable when doing so. But in reality I know there is no real reason I need to carry.
One last thing, if you carry a handgun as backup or whatever in California when hunting be sure to load it with non-lead ammo. If you are stopped by a warden while hunting and have a handgun with lead you will be in deep poop. So for the OP you better be reloading non-lead.

If you reload go with a .41 mag it is almost the same down range as a .44 mag but with 20% less kick.

Thanks for all the responses. I’m definitely not going into bear country anytime soon. Just here locally CNF. The mountain lion or any other encounter I might have here in the local mountains. Going with the 357 due to me reloading and already sitting on quite a few small pistol primers and the ability to shoot 38 special. Also just another excuse to buy a 44 mag or something similar for when I do decide to venture into bear country.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I was thinking about a Taurus Judge. It can shoot .410 loads and 45 LC
I would carry it just in case I encounter a rattler in short range.
Also I think that may be fun to shoot birds with it too.

The last I heard the judge is not legal in CA, you might check

i don't carry a sidearm when I hunt, the rifle is enough, but i have a friend that does (he has security issues, and likes to buy guns).

He carry's a glock 10mm, shoots better with it than a revolver and higher bullet capacity makes him feel better.

I took a sidearm out once, and it was not worth the extra weight. got a bigger full tang knife instead and never have been happier.

When Mesmashy said “You never know who you’ll run into in the woods,” it reminded me of an article I read in Western Outdoor News.
Thanks for the good read, that’s the kind of situation that gives me goosebumps. It also solidifies carrying a sidearm to me. I can tolerate a couple extra pounds if it means making it home at night. I’m not sure how the legalization of marijuana in California has affected illegal grow sites on our forests, but I’m sure there’s still something out there somewhere. I know the Cleveland, Descanso District in particular, has had quite a few of them. Grow sites employ bad guys....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu