12/27 ducks

jth

Nov 3, 2014
Had to burn a low card at Wister yesterday the 26th so me and a buddy got after it today. Finished in a couple of hours with 8 teal, 5 spoons, and a solo wigeon. Steady pickings all morning. 3/5 spoons had rice breast, which is the worst ratio we’ve seen all season. All of the other birds are going into the sausage pile. Happy new year. 8D22FED0-1683-445F-ABB2-AF5FA688C629.jpeg924A4F47-0B79-4335-82EC-F6EFA6150DAA.jpeg

Nice day right there.. bummer on the rice breast. I've eaten them before no issue, but they can look nasty so I get it. I tossed a spoonie last year that was totally loaded.. looked almost more white than red meat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jth
Nice day right there.. bummer on the rice breast. I've eaten them before no issue, but they can look nasty so I get it. I tossed a spoonie last year that was totally loaded.. looked almost more white than red meat.

What is rice breast???

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
What is rice breast???
It looks like it sounds.

It seems all ducks can get it. If you plucked your ducks you would never know you were eating it. From everything I have read it is harmless when cooked.
d9b735bac4bf36b2312a16872293aa85.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

Good to know, it just looks so gross to pop open a bird and see. Maybe the next round will turn into sausage.

That’s a good day. Never knew about rice breast just have not seen it. But good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great score, congrats! Are there more carbs in the meat with Rice Breast?
Yep it's a complete meal kit.. duck breast and wild rice!

They're actually cysts.. a waterborne parasite the ducks pick up during feeding will travel to their muscle and create those cysts. They say dabbler ducks get them more often but I've seen it in divers too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu