1st Bow/Elk hunt - Idaho

brad nsw

Oct 24, 2015
Background. I'm a 55 years old retired SEAL, rifle hunted deer all my life in dry AZ and CA mountains. Never hunted elk.

Bought a Bowtech Carbon Icon in Feb, practiced 3-4 times per week and can hold 5" groups all day at 50yds.

I wanted to share some lessons I learned on my first solo 6 day elk hunt south of Victor, IDAHO.

1. I'M ADDICTED. Played cat and mouse with a 6x6, a 5x5 and a spike for six days.

Daily Lessons Learned:

Day 1. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. 3 miles in (6,000 to 7,800ft), traversing steep scree at 7,600ft. See movement at woodline. Freeze. Watch a bull MOOSE feed at 70yds for 5 mins. Awesome!

Day 2. DON'T JUST SHOOT DOTS. Still hunting 12:30PM. Thick pines/deadfall. Spot 5x5 at 50 yds. I draw as he works his way to my only lane at 30yds. He stops, broadside in the lane!!! All I see is fur on all 5 pins? Does not compute, no bullseye/dot? As I spot the crease, he bolts! I'M STILL DEVASTATED, back in San DIego with empty coolers!!!

Day 3. PACK SMART. Carried 1.5 gals of water (12lbs) Wallows all over and I had a filter. Spotting scope (3lbs, never used). No heavy jacket (must have for still hunting at 35degs). No spare range finder battery. Pack (WITH down jacket and battery, WITHOUT water and scope) should have been 35 vice 45lbs. 6 hours later, back at tent with jacket and fresh battery!

Day 4. PRACTICE AT DUSK. 200yds from my game camera, I spot 6x6 at 50yds, and draw. I'm baffled, can't see my rear peep. Bull in attached photo, sees me and slowly moves toward my camera. Curious, not bolting. Spot him one more time at 100yds as he meanders over the saddle. Note time stamps on two pics (me playing Bullwinkle with a shed in 2nd photo).

Day 5. ALWAYS, ALWAYS: PISS INTO THE WIND. 7:20pm, Still hunting, up hill into the wind, thick pines. Stop to scan downhill and empty bladder downwind (normal, right). Hear a crash behind me (upwind) and turn to see the ass and balls of a spike hightailing it uphill, no more than 15yds away!

Day 6. STICK TO YOUR PLAN. Last day. Planned to break camp at 6am, crash thick deadfall 1/2 mile downhill to wallow and sit all, day. Like a dummy, I stop at 6:30AM for an hour and still hunt where I spotted spike and 5x5. At 7:30, I crash deadfall toward the wallow. 50yds away...angry bugle and hear an elk bust away from the wallow. Couldn't entice him/her back.

Sorry for long post. Don't know if these will help anyone. At 55, I still learn something new EVERY DAY, as I TRY something new. I've never bow or elk hunted before!

I know what & where I"m hunting elk next year with my bow for first two weeks in Sept!Watching me.jpg
Me with moose shed.jpg

Awesome post. Lessons learned. Thanks for sharing, and thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great read. Thanks bunch for sharing...

Elk hunting rocks!

Awesome, Sounds like a successful hunt to me! That's why they call it hunting...otherwise we'd call it killing.

That's what bow hunting elk is all about. Sounds like you had some solid chances.

Make sure you have a big hole for your peep. Target peeps won't work for bow hunting. Even then they still suck.

This shit will get into your brain and you will think about it every day.

Last edited:
Thats too exciting! Camping, cold, heavy packs, hunting game and most of all solo for 6 days. Im
Thinking the chase would keep me going as well. And bring me back. Thanks for sharing.

Great post! Close encounters like that is what we live for. It's nice to knock something down, but sound like a successful hunt either way. Strong work-

As many have said, it was a TOTALLY successful first hunt!!!!

I'd have been stoked to get the 1st one on day two but then the experience would have been over and a HARD PACK OUT would have begun.

Good news is a buddy at work is now interested in going next year, so maybe I won't have to go solo into such rugged country with bear, lion and wolves...although I didn't see any sign.

I'll check at Bow and Arrow shop for a larger rear peep, I have the one that came with the bow. Thanks for that advice, didn't know they existed!

Now I've got to focus on my D16 hunts, I've got AO and D16 tags to fill. I've taken 5 in the last 4 year, again solo hunting 3-4 miles off the beaten path.

Good hunting to everyone.

Background. I'm a 55 years old retired SEAL, rifle hunted deer all my life in dry AZ and CA mountains. Never hunted elk.

Bought a Bowtech Carbon Icon in Feb, practiced 3-4 times per week and can hold 5" groups all day at 50yds.

I wanted to share some lessons I learned on my first solo 6 day elk hunt south of Victor, IDAHO.

1. I'M ADDICTED. Played cat and mouse with a 6x6, a 5x5 and a spike for six days.

Daily Lessons Learned:

Day 1. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. 3 miles in (6,000 to 7,800ft), traversing steep scree at 7,600ft. See movement at woodline. Freeze. Watch a bull MOOSE feed at 70yds for 5 mins. Awesome!

Day 2. DON'T JUST SHOOT DOTS. Still hunting 12:30PM. Thick pines/deadfall. Spot 5x5 at 50 yds. I draw as he works his way to my only lane at 30yds. He stops, broadside in the lane!!! All I see is fur on all 5 pins? Does not compute, no bullseye/dot? As I spot the crease, he bolts! I'M STILL DEVASTATED, back in San DIego with empty coolers!!!

Day 3. PACK SMART. Carried 1.5 gals of water (12lbs) Wallows all over and I had a filter. Spotting scope (3lbs, never used). No heavy jacket (must have for still hunting at 35degs). No spare range finder battery. Pack (WITH down jacket and battery, WITHOUT water and scope) should have been 35 vice 45lbs. 6 hours later, back at tent with jacket and fresh battery!

Day 4. PRACTICE AT DUSK. 200yds from my game camera, I spot 6x6 at 50yds, and draw. I'm baffled, can't see my rear peep. Bull in attached photo, sees me and slowly moves toward my camera. Curious, not bolting. Spot him one more time at 100yds as he meanders over the saddle. Note time stamps on two pics (me playing Bullwinkle with a shed in 2nd photo).

Day 5. ALWAYS, ALWAYS: PISS INTO THE WIND. 7:20pm, Still hunting, up hill into the wind, thick pines. Stop to scan downhill and empty bladder downwind (normal, right). Hear a crash behind me (upwind) and turn to see the ass and balls of a spike hightailing it uphill, no more than 15yds away!

Day 6. STICK TO YOUR PLAN. Last day. Planned to break camp at 6am, crash thick deadfall 1/2 mile downhill to wallow and sit all, day. Like a dummy, I stop at 6:30AM for an hour and still hunt where I spotted spike and 5x5. At 7:30, I crash deadfall toward the wallow. 50yds away...angry bugle and hear an elk bust away from the wallow. Couldn't entice him/her back.

Sorry for long post. Don't know if these will help anyone. At 55, I still learn something new EVERY DAY, as I TRY something new. I've never bow or elk hunted before!

I know what & where I"m hunting elk next year with my bow for first two weeks in Sept!View attachment 28322
View attachment 28323

Daily Lessons Learned:

I know what & where I"m hunting elk next year with my bow for first two weeks in Sept!View attachment 28322
View attachment 28323
Cool … great post.

Nice post, funny stories. Funny how it goes like that sometimes. Keep at it good luck next year!

Drove back up to Idaho for the last 6 days of the season to give it one last shot. Passed on a deer at 15 yds the 3rd day (had a tag). Never saw another elk but did miss this cow (had an either sex tag) by about 45 mins on the last day. Packing out my camp the 4 miles to the truck, I retrieved my game camera and she was at a wallow I was targeting all week, 45 mins before I got there. Also got a nice picture of a bull moose the day before.

Next year I'll give it another shot. Now to try and fill my D16 rifle and A22 archery tag. Looking fwd to the deer season w/o the drive to Idaho!

.Cow at wallow_edit(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Thanks for the follow up and good luck closer to home!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu