1st Bull Down in WY

DoubleTrouble

Sep 8, 2016
I drew a general season bull elk tag in WY this year. I put in solo & this was my 1st bull elk hunt. So, I ended up hiring an outfitter for a 5 day hunt. Made the 12 hour drive with plenty of time to scout the evening before the opener. Every stop we made we found elk. It was a d16’ers dream!!!
Opening morning we hunted 880 acres of private. There was a dozen elk in the meadow (750 yards away) at 1st light. My guide watched them the morning before and had an idea where we could setup to cut them off for a shot. We set up right and they went left on to public where the bulls got hammered. We only hunted public after this.
That afternoon we hiked a few miles into a great glassing spot. Found a moose shed. Saw a bull moose. That evening we ended up seeing 2 cow elk. At the trailhead on the way out there was a successful hunter from New Jersey. It was the 2nd year in a row he drew a general bull tag and and got one. F6B0A623-C09A-43F5-AA0D-D112757B4AEC.jpeg9B18EFAE-58B1-428F-BFA7-807B2986DA49.jpeg

Day 2
At 1st light we were on the elk. They were across a canyon at 500-600 yards. I’ve been practicing shooting that far and beyond. There is a nice six point bull with cows. I’m on a steep decline with sage everywhere. Finally get prone & somewhat solid to shoot. This is where I loose my shit. I try to dial up the magnification on my scope and I start spinning the yardage turret. Happened more than once. The sun is coming up behind the elk and I’m struggling to see. Ended up completely missing the shot.
That evening we were in the elk again. The cows came out. The bulls didn’t step out till after dark.

Day 3
We hunted the same general area as day 2. We found a small bull and some cows first thing. Then we heard a shot. We get a call on the radio. Another hunter in our group just dropped a bull. My guide asked if I’d be willing to help pack it out. Honestly, I wasn’t too happy about it. I was 2 1/2 days into my hunt with only 2 1/2 days to go. Will I be able to continue hunting this evening after helping pack out a bull… or will I be dead?
Colby my guide said we’ll likely get some good karma for helping them. Here’s Chris’s bull.

F2188B43-E51E-41C1-A045-AE69BEEFB162.jpeg
We packed it out. Probably, a little over a mile. Not too bad. Just one big hill. Took lunch and a long break. We came up with a game plan . I was ready to hunt.
We hiked two miles to a glassing spot that we knew the elk were near. They started coming out like clockwork just before sunset. Colby spotted a 4X bull and asked if I was interested. It’s was pretty far down the mountain. So he warned me that the pack out would be brutal.
I said yep… I want that bull. So , we made our way down the mountain till we got in range and killed it.
It was getting dark. So, we got to work fast. We started cutting. Then from the hillside right above us. We hear “you guys better hurry up or you’ll be late for dinner. “ The hunters we helped pack out watched me get my bull from a high point. They drove a side by side 100 yards from us. We didn’t even know there was a road. They had the meat in the side by side as fast as we could fill the game bags. No pack out or hike out. The side by side was a little over loaded with 5 guys and an elk. But, it made it.
Next time I’ll be more eager to help a stranger
pack out. I like Karma on my side.

35B0B7F2-3A16-40CD-997B-A873DF9283C7.jpeg
F0AD99F1-67AF-4C3E-9343-082105D7D499.jpeg
I can’t wait to get back to WY!!!

Super Cool! What rifle, caliber and bullet did you use? How far a shot was it? Did the animal fall in its tracks? Details Please!

Reactions: DoubleTrouble

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu