1st rifle questions

BangBangBrandon

Jan 22, 2018
San Marcos, CA
Okay. I’ve got some money burnin’ a hole in my pocket and I really wanna blow it on a rifle and looking for some suggestions. The calibers I’m interested in are 7mm-08, .300 win mag, or .270. I’m really hooked on the looks and reviews of the Howa lineup specifically the kryptek with scope combo chambered in .300 win mag, the multicam cerakote in .300 win mag (though it comes in .308 which I’m not really sure I want), or the KUIU model which comes in 7mm-08 or .300 win mag. I’m ok with the rifle coming without a scope as I will have some money leftover to put into a scope. My question is: what are your opinions on these calibers? I’m having a really hard time choosing one and everyone I ask has a different opinion. This is my first rifle and probably will be my only one for some time. And I want it to be capable of taking all sorts of game ( deer, elk, boar, etc) and my dad is an ex sniper so I’d like to also be able to do some long range targets with him as well. Thanks in advance for any answers y’all can provide.

I'm a fanatic about my 7mm-08. I personally think its an underrated round. But it's limited on the factory ammo bullet weight. I reload so I get to take advantage of other bullet weights.
I would steer clear of the 300win mag for a first rifle. Especially in a light budget rifle. But's that just me.
.270 great round but again limited on factory bullet weight.
.308 nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: BangBangBrandon
If I had to buy only one rifle and I wanted to keep the price tag with optics around $1000-$1200 this is what I would go with. I have set 4 guys up with this same set up one was in 7mm-08 and they all got them from Fine Fire Arms.

Ruger American in 308, Leopold VX2 4-12 CDS scope, Leopold rings, and Leopold flip caps. This is an excellent entry level rig that will last you a lifetime. FFA should have it in stock tell John @NBK or Nick you want the Drew special.

7mm-08 is a great round as well and you can get it in the same set up above, but if I had to own just one caliber it would be a 308.

The boys are right on the money. I can't think of any reason NOT to get a .308 first rifle except that they lack the 'cool' factor. And that what makes it so cool, goin' old school.

I'm a fanatic about my 7mm-08. I personally think its an underrated round. But it's limited on the factory ammo bullet weight. I reload so I get to take advantage of other bullet weights.
I would steer clear of the 300win mag for a first rifle. Especially in a light budget rifle. But's that just me.
.270 great round but again limited on factory bullet weight.
.308 nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for your response. Why would you steer clear of the .300?

forget the 300 win mag for your first rifle. you will not enjoy shooting 300wm, its going to pound you into next week and give you bad habits.

Do not get hung up on the caliber. at this point its pretty much meaning less. Get something that has moderate to light recoil. You will shoot more and learn your gun much much better than a howitzer that you get sick of after a few shots.

get this :) http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-lite-stainless
in 243 omg you say... that is not a elk round but it will be rad for deer, pigs, yotes, and other critters. i prommiss you will shoot the little 6mm better than a 300wm at 600 yards. ( that is mid range by the way)

308 is fine too but 30 cal bullets are not as slippery in the air next to a 6mm or 6.5mm round and the 308 cant drive the big high bc bullets that a 300wm can.

like i said it will matter more about becoming a good shot than having the perfect do all caliber. ( that does not exist)

what city do you live in? if you are in SD go see NBK at finefirearms and he will guide you to the x ring :)

forget the 300 win mag for your first rifle. you will not enjoy shooting 300wm, its going to pound you into next week and give you bad habits.

Do not get hung up on the caliber. at this point its pretty much meaning less. Get something that has moderate to light recoil. You will shoot more and learn your gun much much better than a howitzer that you get sick of after a few shots.

get this :) http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-lite-stainless
in 243 omg you say... that is not a elk round but it will be rad for deer, pigs, yotes, and other critters. i prommiss you will shoot the little 6mm better than a 300wm at 600 yards. ( that is mid range by the way)

308 is fine too but 30 cal bullets are not as slippery in the air next to a 6mm or 6.5mm round and the 308 cant drive the big high bc bullets that a 300wm can.

like i said it will matter more about becoming a good shot than having the perfect do all caliber. ( that does not exist)

what city do you live in? if you are in SD go see NBK at finefirearms and he will guide you to the x ring :)

10-4, so the .300 hits like a hammer. The ballistics you mention with the .308 are kinda why I was steering clear of that round. This is why I was leaning on the .270 as a choice as well. And I heard the 7mm-08 kicks a bit less too but carries flatter and further than the .308 unless I’m mistaken.

Exactly what Aron said. The 300 isn’t fun shooting. I spent a good amount of money and time to make mine shoot comfortably. And it give me a nasty twitch.

Don’t get hung up on the flatter trajectory.

my 2c im no long range shooter but ive been shooting a 243win in my AR10 for years and LOVE it. My wife (she shoots 3 gun comps) wanted something with more take down power so she got the 7mm-08 She loves it light recoil and hits pretty hard. We do reload so that helps in any caliber.

I'm not much of a rifle guy, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the very popular 30-06.....Will kill everything you've mentioned and with the new copper stuff required, I would think this round would have a lot of options....Ammo for this, .243, and .270 will always be readily available, no matter where you're at.

Can you all tell me why you like the .308 so much? Just curious. Loving all this info guys thank you!
If it is a deer size game and smaller rifle I would recommend .260rem or 6.5creed but if you are going to own one caliber I always recommend 308 so you can shoot bullets from 130g ttsx for deer all the way up to 150-165ttsx for bear and elk. The recoil is very manageable.

I am a hypocrite though because I shot my elk with 260rem this year. I love all of the 308 case wild cat cartridges and own the all. 243 is my favorite round to shoot. But if I had to only own one to survive the rest of my life with it would be 308 because it is so serviceable. Don’t get caught up in trajectory 95% of your shots will be well under 300 yards.
Guns are cool just keep buying one or two a year you can never have to many.

All the responses above a excellent. Not much more to add except the my first rifle (outside of my 30-30) was a 300 win mag which is great but not fun to shoot more than 20 rounds in a traditional “hunting style” rifle (~7 lb, no muzzle break).

For me personally, I take my .308 to the field because it just gets the job done without the recoil of my 300 wm.

I would recommend going with what you most confident in. IMO a confident capable shooter with the right bullet for the game is more important than the caliber.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Ever consider a Remington 7 mm.magnum ? A little big for deer but does all the rest very well with little recoil, It's all I use in the lower 48 anymore. It does it all in this part of the world. Just sayin...

Ever consider a Remington 7 mm.magnum ? A little big for deer but does all the rest very well with little recoil, It's all I use in the lower 48 anymore. It does it all in this part of the world. Just sayin...

No I haven’t looked at the magnum? Should I be? Another friend of mine mentioned checking out the .300 ultramag as well. Anyone have any opinions on that?

I'm not much of a rifle guy, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the very popular 30-06.....Will kill everything you've mentioned and with the new copper stuff required, I would think this round would have a lot of options....Ammo for this, .243, and .270 will always be readily available, no matter where you're at.
Amen Steve.. my .30-06 kills stuff. Probably won't win a shooting contest with it but hey.. I'm old fashioned.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The .270 will kill anything in North America. Readily available and it won't beat you up like the other calibers mentioned. Ruger would be a good choice although I preferred Marlin XL. It has a nice rubber recoil pad so it feels like I'm shooting my .223 instead of a cannon that will cause flinches.

If your friends have the guns they suggest you should go shoot them

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu