2012 Quail opening trip at Kern county

Hotchkiss

Oct 19, 2011
Anaheim
Had a great and fun trip with my buddy Edwin this weekend. I just got home and was too tired to unpack everything. Here is the short report.

Saturday opening day. Arrived at our spot at 6ish. Sun was barely sneaking out from the hill and it was cool.

IMAG5871.jpg

We begin walk into hunting ground . Spent 3 hours searching around but only manage to see and shoot 2 cotton tails. Not even one bird in sight.

What a different from last year. We went back to camp to have our lunch, take a short nap and went on to other spot on the hill. As soon as we arrived at our hunting ground we saw at least 20~30 running away into bushes. We chased after them and I got 3 from the group and Edwin got 4. Nice..

We ended up getting our limit in 2 hours and arrived at camp to do some cat fishing at night.

IMAG5885.jpg

Edwin's dad caught a huge 7 Lbs kitty

IMAG5881.jpg

Sunday morning. Received the call my our friend Kevin that he knew where the birds went and we decided to give it a try to the same spot. We had 4 in our group and start working on the ground before sun rise.

IMAG5892.jpg

in less than 10 mins of search we found a small group of quails and follow them up to the hill. Shot a couple of time and bag 2. We circle around and a big covey around 30 or more was right in the center of our group. The chase is on and by 9ish. I had bag 9. Edwin.Kewin and Mike got their limit. What a fun trip.

IMAG5896.jpg

IMAG5904.jpg

Some of our hunting ground

IMAG5858.jpg

IMAG5857-1.jpg

They are harder to find this year compare to last season. We plan to go back out next following week to have some more fun.

Ken

Attachments

• IMAG5871.jpg
    IMAG5871.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG5885.jpg
    IMAG5885.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG5881.jpg
    IMAG5881.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG5892.jpg
    IMAG5892.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG5896.jpg
    IMAG5896.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG5904.jpg
    IMAG5904.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG5858.jpg
    IMAG5858.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
Ken,

You guys rocked it. What awesome country too! Nice job on the birds and great pictures. Hope to see a post in the food section. We all know you are a great cook...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu