2014 Hunting stats

infidel

How far did you go in last season? Ever track your miles? Tally up the sightings?

Normally, I have quite a bit of time off in the late summer and early fall. Most of it is spent in the water however I do get dirty. That said, last season I tracked just a lot of info. Mainly I wanted to beanie to justify spending time and $$$ hunting out of state in the future. Secondly, I wanted to see the some numbers from a public land hunter perspective.

In 32 non consecutive hunting days I covered a 188.14 miles on foot. I gained 42,980' in elevation (Mount Everest 29,029') and descended the same. I covered 2,930miles in my vehicles.

I encountered 20 bucks (7 which were 3/3 or better) 33 does, 10 fawns, 5 spikes.

I took one rifle shot filled my D16.
Full draw 4 times, release once with a bad range and sent a broad head over the back of another buck.

All in all I was astonished by some of my stats. I was able to justify future out of state/country hunting. Lastly I had a amazing time learning and experiencing some failed stalks and other scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some awesome stats. What are you using to track how much ground you cover, and does it rally for you

I used garmin foretrex 401 a few times, Trimble hunt gps pro, and all trails. All had pros and cons. Garmin was nice because it wasn't using data and killing the phone battery. That's my 2cents.

Great point about not using minutes or data. Doesn't matter for me, but that is definitely a point in favor of Garmin in general. I gather, since you used multiple platforms, that you did all the tallying by hand?

wow crazy stats... I need to put more time into my hunts. I think I traveled about on foot about 10 miles total in the 4 times I got out.... and saw 8 does, 3 fawns, 2 bucks both 4x4's. not shots taken last year. hope to run into these buck again this 2015. elevation sea level ;)

I need to record mine this year. I probably had anywhere from 150-200 miles on foot. 30+ legal bucks (6 in one day), 20+ spikes, 100+ does and like 20 bears.. I took 2 shots at bucks with my bow and 1 shot with my rifle (filled my tag). And 1 shot at a bear (filled my tag).

This year I'm going to keep better track so I can get some exact numbers!

TaftHunter said:
I need to record mine this year. I probably had anywhere from 150-200 miles on foot. 30+ legal bucks (6 in one day), 20+ spikes, 100+ does and like 20 bears.. I took 2 shots at bucks with my bow and 1 shot with my rifle (filled my tag). And 1 shot at a bear (filled my tag).

This year I'm going to keep better track so I can get some exact numbers!

Do it! And be ready for a eye opener.

ivhunter said:
wow crazy stats... I need to put more time into my hunts. I think I traveled about on foot about 10 miles total in the 4 times I got out.... and saw 8 does, 3 fawns, 2 bucks both 4x4's. not shots taken last year. hope to run into these buck again this 2015. elevation sea level ;)

Big bucks are big for a reason they stay away from the norm and have that sixth sense that lets them smell upwind I swear. Good luck this season

Thats very cool. I hope I remember to track it all this year. I normally keep notes on what I see, time of day, weather... that sort of thing.

Great post infidel. It is funny how through a season we have been more miles or places than what we think. It accumulates quickly.

We kept a log one waterfowl season and it was amazing the time and effort spent but the benefit was also astounding.

Cool beans man...

NBK said:
Great post infidel. It is funny how through a season we have been more miles or places than what we think. It accumulates quickly.

We kept a log one waterfowl season and it was amazing the time and effort spent but the benefit was also astounding.

Cool beans man...

Thanks NBK. Your right it does accumulate quickly especially the time. $$$ fallows a close second. Numbers you don't tell your wife. Until she tell you to get more game already and it's spring/summer

infidel said:
NBK said:

Cool beans man...
Until she tell you to get more game already and it's spring/summer
Time for a pig hunt! ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu