2020 Spring Turkey Tune-Up (TTU) @ Sutherland Reservoir in Ramona - Save The Date!

I was reading a field and stream article the other day that said a large portion of hunters miss shots they could of made just because they didn't pattern their gun and know exactly how it shoots. If you think it is dead on after adding a choke or straight from the factory you might be surprised after seeing it on paper. One of mine pulls consistently slightly left and have to compensate for it with my aim.

Reactions: ilovesprig
You're right on, Jeremy...You aim a shotgun at turkeys...I like to shoot just behind and above the beard...I have had a number of friends miss because they shoot at the eyeball/head...The one thing that many people do when shooting a shotgun is pull up...Hence, with these tight chokes...You shoot right over there head.

ps...Lots of guys are going to a red dot...I don't think I've ever killed (or even shot at) a turkey more than 50 yds...I do use a Tru-Glo sight though...Great under low light conditions (very common).

pss...This turkey was killed at 73 yds with 3 1/2" Federal TSS #7 load and a standard sight...I'm not promoting shooting this far, but it is superior to all other loads.

.036.JPG

Last edited:
I have been hearing a lot of chatter about people moving to red dots for Turkey. The field seems pretty divided on them.

That TSS shot is pricey, of course the way my turkey seasons are it will literally last me forever, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawnandusk
Jeremy,

There's no doubt that TSS and even Hevi-Shot is pricey, but in the big scheme of things...Do you want to not have the best shell available?...Steel sucks for turkeys.

Fred,

I like them at that range too...Unfortunately, hunting turkeys in many states and especially those big Merriam's...Just having that confidence to make those longer shots is nice.

This big boy took a load of nickle plated lead at 40 yds thru the woods...Do you see him?

.new mexico 1st gobbler 2011 002.JPG

I have been hearing a lot of chatter about people moving to red dots for Turkey. The field seems pretty divided on them.

That TSS shot is pricey, of course the way my turkey seasons are it will literally last me forever, lol.
I am right there with you Jeremy!!
Though, this year looks promising. I want to have to buy another box!!!

Reactions: TrapLine
Anyone going that has some large feathers I can get from them out there? I am building a super secret decoy in my garage and need some large bird feathers. Does not have to be turkey feathers, any large bird should work.

Patterning is very important no matter if it's turkeys or dove..... knowing where your pattern hits left, right, above the bead, middle bead or below.

I don't understand going cheap on the one thing that kills your game whether it's a broadhead or ammo.... don't cut corners.

I've been trying to go to this for the last few years. Are there any places to camp down there with a 26' travel trailer? I have a camping trip planned with the family that I can't bail out on, but maybe I can convince them to re-route the trip closer to Sutherland. My boys would probably love the event too.

Reactions: ilovesprig
1 week left guys and girls. Get your cash ready and come out and join us at Lake Sutherland for the 2020 TTU.
Remember bring your cash credit card machines DON'T WORK AT THE LAKE.

I've been trying to go to this for the last few years. Are there any places to camp down there with a 26' travel trailer? I have a camping trip planned with the family that I can't bail out on, but maybe I can convince them to re-route the trip closer to Sutherland. My boys would probably love the event too.
Ramona has a couple campgrounds, but Julian area is probably nicer, though a little bit further to get to.
Look up Lake Cuyamaca, or Paso Picacho campgrounds.
Quite a few up on Laguna Mountain area as well, in the general vicinity.

Reactions: krist003
check this place out? i spend a few night up there weekly and it has everything, play ground, pool and a small pond

Lake Henshaw is only about 25 minutes away...Lots to do for the kids and you're in turkey country...Your boys will have a great time...Bring your shotgun and fishing gear.

So I should definitely bring cash and my hunting license.
Should I bring my shotgun and ammo?
I did not make it last year. I defiantly want go turkey hunting this year.
I went once last year the last day of the season.

Reactions: MAG 1
So I should definitely bring cash and my hunting license.
Should I bring my shotgun and ammo?
I did not make it last year. I defiantly want go turkey hunting this year.
I went once last year the last day of the season.

Yes, bring your gun & ammo...We have turkey targets, chairs, sticks, and instructors in the shooting range.

Folks,

There may be a little rain...So, dress accordingly...The show will go on, one way or another.

I’m a new hunter and really want to be here for the drawing. My grandfather just passed last night and I will likely be attending his funeral on the east coast this weekend. If I can’t go to the drawing this weekend, is there any way I can still enter the drawing?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu