22 LR capacity in the field

outdoordave

Jul 5, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Ok, so the area I hunt would be better suited for my 22 LR. Rolling hills with alot of dense brush with pockets of clearing. If your kicking them up as you do some brush busting most shots are under 15 yards so the shotgun does a little more damage than I want. If you watch the clearings you get some pretty easy 50 yard shots. I checked the DFG website however, I could not find capacity specs for a riffle. It has specs for shotgun but not riffle. I called DFG and have not heard back yet. Anyone have any info on this or know where it is in the regs?

I would think a 10 round clip in a .22 rim fire would be fine for small game, and I would be interested to know different.

Thanks guys, gonna head out in the am for a few hours. DFG never did call back. I'll go on the safe side tomorrow with 3. Hell, if I can't hit a rabbit with three shots I should stay home anyway. Once I find out the official from DFG I'll update.

The only restrictions on magazine capacity is with shotguns not containing more than 3 rounds. If the magazine is legal then you are free use it from what I understand. The section of the small game code does not address the rounds capacity other than shotgun. Check out chapter 2 section 311.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#311

I'm interested to see if anyone else interpret this the same as I..

my bolt action 30-06 holds 5 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.

Bowhunter, I am with you. It ONLY specifies "shotguns". However, like most I've had a less the pleasant experience with some, should we say over zealous wardens. Never the less, I have a call into DFG, I'll follow up again since I never heard back from them. Once I confirm I will post so anyone interested will know.
Thanks

No reply from DFG yet I take it.. My savage has a 10 round mag.. Just sent your question to the Q&A people at the DFG, will see if they reply..

Thanks sportyg, Never heard back I did put in another call and they did not return that one either. Thanks, I look forward to seeing what they say.

hit the field last night with the 22. Got stopped by Forestry Officer, checked my license and gun did not say anything. Still haven't heard from DFG yet.

for anyone still wondering, official answer from DFG, if it has a removable magazine then it is 10 rounds. If it does not have a removable mag ie; tube fed than there is no stated capacity limit because there is no way to adjust it like a plug for shotguns or buying a 10 round mag. Hope this helped anyone interested.

outdoordave said:
for anyone still wondering, official answer from DFG, if it has a removable magazine then it is 10 rounds. If it does not have a removable mag ie; tube fed than there is no stated capacity limit because there is no way to adjust it like a plug for shotguns or buying a 10 round mag. Hope this helped anyone interested.

Cool thanks. Nice that they got back to you.

That is a BS answer on the detachable clip limit being 10. Yes if you own a OLL"off list lower" a gun with a bullet button you are limited to 10 rounds. If you just got a new AR15 and you want to hunt you are limited to 10 rounds. Calif has no caliber ban so a 5.56 is also legal. Now if you own a RAW " Registerd automatic Weapon" you can use your gun with drum mags, Also if you have a featureless rifle ie AR 15 with monster man grips and you have preban clips you can use them as well.

all of the restrictions are related to the many semi automatic weapon laws we have and have and have zero to do with DFG regs.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#353

From what I saw in section 311 of last years regulations, they don't have this years posted yet, is that only shotguns, archery, and pellet rifles are authorized. I'd follow what the written rule is as opposed to taking even a game wardens word. If one warden says one thing and I get a citation because the other is more informed, pleading that "I was told," may not get you off in your doubly inconvenient trip to plead your case.

forgot the add the link to the small game regs...
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#311

This is the part that lets you use center file rifles except in LA county. This is the current reg no update for 2012
sec 311
(g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistols may be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only; except in Los Angeles County where rifles and pistols may not be used.

OUTDOORDAVE Who at DFG said you are limited to 10 round clips? maybe they can shed some light on why they decided to ban hi cap mags when the regs say other!

for you folks that do not understand the insanity that is our state here is the flow chart that tells you what you can and can not have.....
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu