.22 vs .25 air rifle

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
Given the choice between the two calibers, what makes a more effective air rifle for hunting? Thinking rabbit and pests. Maybe even turkey in certain situations.

Are there major differences in volume if shot where that may be a consideration? My .177 sounds a bit like a quieter nail gun which is not uncommon to hear in my neighborhood.

Evan,

I own all 3 calibers for pellet guns...To be honest, I haven't found that much difference in the 3, except maybe distance...Most my rabbit shots are inside 30 yds...I did whack one one time with my .22 Beeman at 63 yds...Body shots no matter the caliber, normally lets them run...No bueno...Hence, every shot is at the dome.

Lat years .177 take...The .25 PCP is by far the most convenient, and the ..22 Beeman is just plain deadly.

rabbit;s '22 3.JPGrabbit open 2021.JPGrabbit dinner 7-11-12 002.JPG

Evan,

I own all 3 calibers for pellet guns...To be honest, I haven't found that much difference in the 3, except maybe distance...Most my rabbit shots are inside 30 yds...I did whack one one time with my .22 Beeman at 63 yds...Body shots no matter the caliber, normally lets them run...No bueno...Hence, every shot is at the dome.

Lat years .177 take...The .25 PCP is by far the most convenient, and the ..22 Beeman is just plain deadly.

View attachment 57978View attachment 57979View attachment 57980
I saw this deal post d on another forum.

Now I have a gamo in .177 already, but that was the main reason I was curious.

Since CA legalized .177 for turkey it’s less of a concern than it used to be. Maybe I should test it out on the rabbits we get in the garden.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu